Where in scripture do we read about the Messiah who was to come?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe Yeshua to be the Messiah. Can we talk about scriptures that refer to Jesus (Yeshua)? The important thing is to understand prophecy about the Messiah properly.

Last edited:

genuineoriginal

How about this one?

Genesis 22:8
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.​

And the fulfillment:

John 1:29
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.​

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
How about this one?

Genesis 22:8
8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.​

And the fulfillment:

John 1:29
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.​

Gen22:8KJV is not prophecy; it's typology.

John 1:29KJV is the anti-type of the O.T. type. The O.T., shaped by God, provides the foundation; and upon this stage/scenery Christ enacts 'Redemption' in the fulness of time.

See Rom 5:14KJV for a clear example of typology. Or the example of Jonah.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I've already listed every single one.
Messianic Christology thread.
Feel free to leave a link here to that thread or not. We can discuss any scripture here as well. You are welcome to participate here as well.

iamaberean

Where in scripture do we read about the Messiah who was to come?
I believe Yeshua to be the Messiah. Can we talk about scriptures that refer to Jesus (Yeshua)? The important thing is to understand prophecy about the Messiah properly.

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

Messiah
mâshı̂yach
maw-shee'-akh
From H4886; anointed; usually a consecrated person (as a king, priest, or saint); specifically the Messiah: - anointed, Messiah.

achduke

Zechariah 3:1-9

1 And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him. 2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire? 3 Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and stood before the angel. 4 And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from thee, and I will clothe thee with change of raiment. 5 And I said, Let them set a fair mitre upon his head. So they set a fair mitre upon his head, and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the LORD stood by. 6 And the angel of the LORD protested unto Joshua, saying, 7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; If thou wilt walk in my ways, and if thou wilt keep my charge, then thou shalt also judge my house, and shalt also keep my courts, and I will give thee places to walk among these that stand by. 8 Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, thou, and thy fellows that sit before thee: for they are men wondered at: for, behold, I will bring forth my servant the BRANCH. 9 For behold the stone that I have laid before Joshua; upon one stone shall be seven eyes: behold, I will engrave the graving thereof, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth and He shall speak to them all that I command Him. (Deuteronomy 18:18 NKJV)​

genuineoriginal

Daniel 9:25-26
25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.​

Edit: corrected the mistake made stating 690 instead of 483 years.

Messiah the Prince was to appear 483 years after the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem, but was to be "cut off" shortly after that time.

_____
Prophecy of Seventy Weeks

The historicist view on the prophecy of seventy weeks, in Daniel 9, stretches from 457 BCE to 34 CE, and that the final "week" of the prophecy refers to the events of Jesus Christ's ministry. This was the view taught by Martin Luther and John Calvin. This interpretation of Daniel chapter 9 presents the 490 years as an uninterrupted period. Like others before them they equate the beginning of the 70 weeks "from the time the word goes out to rebuild and restore Jerusalem," of Daniel 9:25 with the decree by Artaxerxes I in 458/7 BCE which provided money for rebuilding the temple and Jerusalem and allowed for restoration of a Jewish administration. It ends 3½ years after the crucifixion. The appearance of "Messiah the Prince" at the end of the 69 weeks (483 years) is aligned with Jesus' baptism in 27 CE, in the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar. The 'cutting off' of the "anointed one" refers to the crucifixion 3½ years after the end of the 483 years, bringing "atonement for iniquity" and "everlasting righteousness". Jesus is said to 'confirm' the "covenant" between God and mankind by his death on the cross in the Spring (about passover time) of 31 CE "in the midst of" the last seven years. At the moment of his death the 4 inch (10 cm) thick curtain between the Holy and Most Holy Places in the Temple ripped from top to bottom marking the end of the Temple's sacrificial system. The last week ends 3½ years after the crucifixion (i.e., in 34 CE) when the gospel was redirected from only the Jews to all Gentile nations.
_____​

Last edited:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Daniel 9:25-26
25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.​

Messiah the Prince was to appear 690 years after the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem, but was to be "cut off" shortly after that time.

_____
Prophecy of Seventy Weeks

The historicist view on the prophecy of seventy weeks, in Daniel 9, stretches from 457 BCE to 34 CE, and that the final "week" of the prophecy refers to the events of Jesus Christ's ministry. This was the view taught by Martin Luther and John Calvin. This interpretation of Daniel chapter 9 presents the 490 years as an uninterrupted period. Like others before them they equate the beginning of the 70 weeks "from the time the word goes out to rebuild and restore Jerusalem," of Daniel 9:25 with the decree by Artaxerxes I in 458/7 BCE which provided money for rebuilding the temple and Jerusalem and allowed for restoration of a Jewish administration. It ends 3½ years after the crucifixion. The appearance of "Messiah the Prince" at the end of the 69 weeks (483 years) is aligned with Jesus' baptism in 27 CE, in the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar. The 'cutting off' of the "anointed one" refers to the crucifixion 3½ years after the end of the 483 years, bringing "atonement for iniquity" and "everlasting righteousness". Jesus is said to 'confirm' the "covenant" between God and mankind by his death on the cross in the Spring (about passover time) of 31 CE "in the midst of" the last seven years. At the moment of his death the 4 inch (10 cm) thick curtain between the Holy and Most Holy Places in the Temple ripped from top to bottom marking the end of the Temple's sacrificial system. The last week ends 3½ years after the crucifixion (i.e., in 34 CE) when the gospel was redirected from only the Jews to all Gentile nations.
_____​

Your source says this is the historicist view. The most important thing is that Messiah came, so this is about Messiah and appreciated for what it is. I don't have a different view to promote.

john w

Hall of Fame
From Genesis, "The Seed Plot" of the "volume of the book:"

Genesis 3 KJV

15 and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

A woman, with a seed?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
From Genesis, "The Seed Plot" of the "volume of the book:"

Genesis 3 KJV

15 and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

A woman, with a seed?
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but the verse does speak of the woman's seed.

john w

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but the verse does speak of the woman's seed.

That's your problem, not getting it:

it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Biologically, a woman does not have a seed.

Connect the dots, a future offspring of the woman, Eve, would not have a human father. Again-woman do not produce "seed," as the bible defines it. This promised seed, would, therefore, have to be "miraculously"(as the bible defines it) implanted in the womb-thus, no inherited sin nature, which was one of the "pre-req's" the redeemer must have to qualify, to be the redeemer. And thus, this prophecy anticipates the future virgin conception.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
That's your problem, not getting it:

it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Biologically, a woman does not have a seed.

Connect the dots, a future offspring of the woman, Eve, would not have a human father. Again-woman do not produce "seed," as the bible defines it. This promised seed, would, therefore, have to be "miraculously"(as the bible defines it) implanted in the womb-thus, no inherited sin nature, which was one of the "pre-req's" the redeemer must have to qualify, to be the redeemer. And thus, this prophecy anticipates the future virgin conception.
I believe you are wanting to speak of the woman's seed.

Galatians 3:16 NASB - 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as referring to many, but rather to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ.

john w

Hall of Fame
I believe you are wanting to speak of the woman's seed.

Galatians 3:16 NASB - 16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as referring to many, but rather to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ.

I believe you don't get it. Sit-you have an unteacheable "spirit." That is your rep on TOL.