What's your ancestry?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
German, Swiss on my father's side
Welsh, English on my mother's or Mum's side for TM :D

Buzzword

German and Scottish on my paternal side.
German and Norman French on my maternal side.

My wife is English and black Dutch.

alwight

Where do your family roots hail from?

On my Dad's side it's Welsh and English.

On my Mum's side it's Irish and Scottish (and 1 American).

What about you?
My dad's side is Welsh and English too, (Monmouthshire & Gloucestershire).
My mother's mother was from Tipperary, Ireland while her father was from Dublin and possibly of Scottish stock, both protestants who felt obliged to move to Northern Ireland for their personal safety.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
English on both, but we have Scandinavians on my father's mother's side of the family. DAR and UDC, though we had family members on both sides of both conflicts.

And on a late Saturday when the house is quiet, I'm infrequently part Scotch. :plain:

Last edited:

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Psalmist, Norwegian both sides.

Mrs Psalmist, German-English.​

bybee

My dad's side is Welsh and English too, (Monmouthshire & Gloucestershire).
My mother's mother was from Tipperary, Ireland while her father was from Dublin and possibly of Scottish stock, both protestants who felt obliged to move to Northern Ireland for their personal safety.

Whilst those Irish that survived the famine had to move to America for their personal safety....

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It's a very continental thing.

I remember as a kid, getting a letter from Hungary, and the stamp said "Magyar Posta." Puzzled me for a long time.

I have a Hungarian friend, who was for a while engaged to my oldest son. She says that Hungarians have a saying; "If you have a sore foot and one of your friends steps on it, he's Hungarian."

fzappa13

So, TM are you beginning to see any validity to the idea that I shared that the Scotch/Irish are like the Borg?

alwight

Whilst those Irish that survived the famine had to move to America for their personal safety....
Yes, I gather that a great many Irish went to other lands at the time just to survive, not just America. Parts of my family ended up in Canada, while another in Flint Mi, having done some research on line, but the famine forced many Catholics to move.
My mother's family had a farm and servants, probably as a reward to one of Oliver Cromwell's junior officers I gather. I don't think that the local Catholics were particularly impressed by protestant landowners. :nono:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So what I'm hearing is that we are almost a bunch of white people

Racist people can't help but see through a race filter.

English and German on both parental sides. Mr M arrived on the boat in Baltimore harbor in 1703.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, I'm a white guy with a Native American/Mexican wife and mixed race kids. I'm clearly a racist.

Please don't feed the troll.:chuckle:

And yeah, you sound like a card-carrying member of the KKK. For shame, sir.:dizzy: