Jesus the Messiah died for me.

Prizebeatz1

Whether Judaism with Yeshua as the Messiah or Christianity with Jesus as the Christ we are recognizing the same person for who He is. It has nothing to do with any empire.

John 1:41 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ).

John 4:25 NASB - 25 The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us."

Yet we assume someone has a monopoly on the interpretation of the scriptures? Doesn't someone profit off of this? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that someone gains from discouraging us away from other interpretations.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yet we assume someone has a monopoly on the interpretation of the scriptures? Doesn't someone profit off of this? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that someone gains from discouraging us away from other interpretations.
The gospel is the message of salvation as a free gift. It cannot be earned.

Prizebeatz1

More pop psycho babble from the Maharishi, opinions, about opinions, about opinions about opinions...........

Tell us, Maharishi-just what is your function here, on TOL. Unpack it for us, as you are starting to bore us. And lay out your reference point, your objective standard, as we are all busy men, and women here, and can get your jazz, just by watching TV talk shows-and they are far more entertaining.

Can you dig it?

I don't think you're worth my time. Go find someone else to badger.

Right Divider

Body part
Yes, Anointed... Anointed One... Anointed of God. Chosen One. God's Elect. These are similar. I believe Messiah means Anointed or Anointed One.
No, the are not "similar" ... the are the same.
Joh 1:41 KJV He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No, the are not "similar" ... the are the same.
Joh 1:41 KJV He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.
Messiah and Christ are the same. Anointed One may be the equivalent. Chosen One or Elect One seem similar.

Zeke

Jesus is the Messiah and He died for me. In Him we have forgiveness of sins. In Him I have been granted the free gift of eternal life.

What Jesus did I cannot. I have no way to save myself. In Him I have been saved.

If I do everything possible that I can do, it is still not enough. But what Jesus did is enough. What He did is sufficient to save me.

I can't add to my salvation in Him. I can't make myself more saved. If salvation were by what I can do then I would not be saved because it would not be enough.

In you, not some outward flesh and blood hero that died for you externally which killeth the Esoteric intent 2Cor 3:6, the kingdom is within Luke 17:20-21 a pearl you disregard for Jew and gentile fables time stamped into historic observable folly in a kingdom made with hands, Galatians 4:24-28.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
In you, not some outward flesh and blood hero that died for you externally which killeth the Esoteric intent 2Cor 3:6, the kingdom is within Luke 17:20-21 a pearl you disregard for Jew and gentile fables time stamped into historic observable folly in a kingdom made with hands, Galatians 4:24-28.
I believe you err in what you are saying. I wish I could help but it is so far out that I don't know how. Do you understand the gospel? Have you been saved by God and Jesus Christ? Do you know what it means to have freedom from sin? Do you know what Jesus did for you, in dying for you that you would have forgiveness of sins and be granted the gift of eternal life? Salvation is not by works. You must repent, knowing the truth, and believe the gospel. The Spirit of God is only by faith. You must be born again by the Spirit of God. It is a work of God.

john w

Hall of Fame
I don't think you're worth my time. Go find someone else to badger.

Another judgment on your part, eh, Maharishi, after you cried, and pined, about me being so "judgmental?" You whited wall, hypocrite. Which side of your face do you want slapped?

Get of this site, as you are a slug, a troll, with an unteacheable "spirit," and you are an example of what happens to a man, so steeped in mysticism, and Buddhism, and subjectivity(how you spend your "time)-he goes insane. My evidence-your "posts"(loosely employed here).

Prizebeatz1

Another judgment on your part, eh, Maharishi, after you cried, and pined, about me being so "judgmental?" You whited wall, hypocrite. Which side of your face do you want slapped?

Get of this site, as you are a slug, a troll, with an unteacheable "spirit," and you are an example of what happens to a man, so steeped in mysticism, and Buddhism, and subjectivity(how you spend your "time)-he goes insane. My evidence-your "posts"(loosely employed here).

You sound upset.

brewmama

Ever since Constantine we have grown accustomed to only one interpretation of Christianity. This is a byproduct of the attempt to unify an empire but it comes at the expense of other possible alternatives of interpretation. Perhaps this is not so wise. If someone comes up with a more accurate interpretation then many will feel like they can't change their minds. I know because I was there too.

There is only one true interpretation, how could there be otherwise? If the Apostles, at the teaching of Jesus, didn't get it right, why on earth do you think anyone much later down the line would?

And Constantine, who bears the brunt of so much vitriolic Catholic-hatred, had nothing to do with "one interpretation of Christianity". The faith HAS been maintained and passed down from the Apostles. It's found in Orthodoxy.

Prizebeatz1

There is only one true interpretation, how could there be otherwise? If the Apostles, at the teaching of Jesus, didn't get it right, why on earth do you think anyone much later down the line would?

And Constantine, who bears the brunt of so much vitriolic Catholic-hatred, had nothing to do with "one interpretation of Christianity". The faith HAS been maintained and passed down from the Apostles. It's found in Orthodoxy.

I think interpretation is in the eye of the beholder. For example, if we're both looking at a car and you see it from the front and I see it from the back then maybe there's more pieces to the puzzle. Yes, I admit I was very attached to the traditional interpretation for the majority of my life like a lot of other people. The only problem was I did not account for the infinite and eternal part of us. I had discounted it because my religious leaders did the same. I went and asked a Catholic priest about it and he advised the soul is a part of us but we are not a part of it. I understand this is the standard response. So I never questioned it. I figured the church authorities know best.

Looking back after my spiritual awakening experience I recognize the story of Jesus is a simple and clever metaphor for our own inner divinity. It is a way to tell us that we are one with God through the soul. I believe this was the original meaning of the Gospel but the literal interpretation was favored because it was easier to understand for the majority of people. "No one goes to the Father except through me" is more likely about the infinite eternal part of us which is already one with God rather than the literal person of Jesus. "God gave us his only begotten Son" can be taken to mean God gave us a part of himself in the soul. The purity, the miraculousness, the rejection and burial yet it still lives. There is a much higher interpretation.

And no I don't hate Constantine.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Acts 4:12 NASB - 12 "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Anyone can die for you, but you still must respond to the Spirit's calling

Anyone can die for you, but you still must respond to the Spirit's calling

His death was a substitutionary death. He paid the punishment for our sin, our transgressions.

Did this so called 'substitionary death' free you from responsibility for your sins? Note, the universal law of self-responsibility and 'karma' (the law of action/sequence/consequence), still carries out... a soul is responsible for its own 'sins' and suffers the effects of those 'sins'. "Whatsoever a man sows, that also must he reap". A soul is likewise responsible for reparation for those sins, or to make his own 'atonement' for them. - the 'sinner' himself must REPENT and make amends for his actions (restititution, reformation, change of mind/lifestyle, etc.). The law of 'self-responsibility' still holds, even if you want to accept that an 'avatar', 'bodhisattva', 'god-man', 'demi-god', 'messiah'...has made some kind of sacrifice or 'atonement' for you.....that kind of grace is already provided by divine LOVE,....but you must repent and re-turn to 'God'. No one can do it for you. Grace provides the way, of course,.....but you are the one reaping whatever you so....as long as any kind of action is taking place.....there is 'sowing' and 'reaping'.

You're also working under a 'presupposition' that there is a 'God' somewhere demanding a payment for something. This only works in a theological-system of 'vicarious-atonement' or some penal-system where someone or some animal has to die for someone to affect/effect some kind of atonement,...but we've challenged this concept of 'atonement' elsewhere. For those remembering, I had a thread entited "Atonement without blood" where we explore these themes. Remember the principle of 'responsibility'. (also that a soul dies for its own sins, and must atone for his own sins....an avatar or holy man can grant his grace or mediation, or even take on some karma of another,...but that soul still must DO HIS PART ).

On a last note, this whole "Jesus died for me" beyond the 'atonement-concept' idea behind it, plays on human sentiment , that because of this great act of 'sacrifice' that such proves God loves us. Well, again...its an illustration of selfless giving, and on that score the 'cross' has its value, however we understand and apply the concept, but still......we must repent and re-turn to truth, we must walk in harmony with divine law, we must re-turn to love. We must make the surrender to the divine.

Right Divider

Body part
I think interpretation is in the eye of the beholder. For example, if we're both looking at a car and you see it from the front and I see it from the back then maybe there's more pieces to the puzzle. Yes, I admit I was very attached to the traditional interpretation for the majority of my life like a lot of other people. The only problem was I did not account for the infinite and eternal part of us. I had discounted it because my religious leaders did the same. I went and asked a Catholic priest about it and he advised the soul is a part of us but we are not a part of it. I understand this is the standard response. So I never questioned it. I figured the church authorities know best.

Looking back after my spiritual awakening experience I recognize the story of Jesus is a simple and clever metaphor for our own inner divinity. It is a way to tell us that we are one with God through the soul. I believe this was the original meaning of the Gospel but the literal interpretation was favored because it was easier to understand for the majority of people. "No one goes to the Father except through me" is more likely about the infinite eternal part of us which is already one with God rather than the literal person of Jesus. "God gave us his only begotten Son" can be taken to mean God gave us a part of himself in the soul. The purity, the miraculousness, the rejection and burial yet it still lives. There is a much higher interpretation.

And no I don't hate Constantine.
You are a total mess son.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Did this so called 'substitionary death' free you from responsibility for your sins?
If a person escapes punishment by courts on earth that does not mean they escape punishment by God. Each and every person has to be responsible for their own sin. A person should not die for the sin of another but only for his own sin.

Jesus never sinned, so He didn't die for His sin.

Romans 3:23, 6:23.