Interpretation

Prizebeatz1

So far we've concluded that there is one truth. Does anybody dispute that there is more than one way to see this truth? If not then there is the possibility that there could be more than one interpretation to the scriptures, correct? We're not judging whether one has more accuracy than another. We're just looking at the fact that there could be more than one interpretation.

Jamie Gigliotti

2+2=4. That is objectively true regardless of our interpretation of it. It's truth stands true apart from us. Just as Christ does. He is objective truth apart from our interpretation.

Relative truth renders all things meaningless. Us deciding which flavor we like is as fleeting as the wind.

Our consciences tell us Love is truth. God tells us that. Jesus demonstrated that. His word tells us that. His Spirit confirms it when we trust Him.

nikolai_42

How many different ways could one interpret the scriptures? Does interpretation from God or from man? Why does this make a difference? Is the literal translation the only one with merit? Why or why not? Who holds the power to declare which interpretation is most appropriate? Can one interpretation be more correct or more accurate than another? What evidence or support is available to suggest that an entity has the authority to determine which interpretation is valid and/or more valid than another? Who is interpreting the evidence or support that is being used to come up with the original interpretation? Does one interpretation have all the correct answers and if it doesn't, does that invalidate any of the viewpoints that do make sense? Does any one interpretation make perfect sense? What should we do if someone proposes an alternative interpretation that we know through discernment makes much more sense to us? Is it okay to continue believing one interpretation if we know there is a more accurate one available? What would prevent us from accepting a more true interpretation of the scriptures were it to be presented to us?

Might I suggest that this viewpoint is a subtle way of denying the absoluteness and singleness of truth. Not merely of logical propositions (which can be easily confirmed) but of Truth that sets a man free (John 8:32). This Truth is not determined by the senses (only) but is hidden from the wise and prudent and revealed unto babes (Matthew 11:25). The foundational nature of this Truth is that the man to whom it is revealed despairs of himself because that Truth is against him - is against every man. The Truth is objective and speaks of itself - not of ourselves. It is real, it is single and it is not something that we can receive unless God reveals it to us (John 3:27). But again, it is not something we can or even will receive because it is, by its very nature, not of us - it is of God.

I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
John 5:43

Man, by his very (fallen) nature, wants to justify and exalt himself. If the message exalts him or his sense of self, he will receive it and the one who sent it. But the very heart of Jesus' message was one that would not be received - in part because He didn't come touting Himself. And that is the very nature of the message. For even the Spirit of Truth that He promised had that same witness :

Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

John 7:16-18

I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 16:12-15

Notice that there is never a hint of Jesus pointing to Himself - rather it is the Father and the Spirit validating Him. It isn't His own Divinity He points to, but the testimony of the Father and of the Spirit to what He is saying. If Jesus bore that message, then the Truth - when it is given to us - will be utterly not of us, nor will it exalt us. It will exalt Christ. And it will be separate from us. Men will not glorify us, but God (for we are not the same thing).

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

The Truth requires that it not be of us, nor exalt us in any way. If it does, we have not been crucified with Christ and we still live. If Christ was in union with the Father in such an intimate way as we see in His prayer of John 17 - and He prayed that all those in Him would be one even as He was one with the Father - then the distinction He makes between Himself and the Father should show us that the Truth will not be something we can muddle with our own thoughts or ideas. In short, the Truth is undeniable and undeniably not of "me".

The bottom line is that if there is any doubt or confusion or thought that there might be another way of looking at things to find the Truth, then that is strong indication that one's own thoughts and ideas are taking the place of Christ and His doctrine. If the supposed truth in any way exalts me, it is not Truth.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Luke 17:20-21, a good foundation to build on with spiritual stones concerning that inner witness/voice that gives liberty the letter can never do 2Cor 3:6, it always demands one bows the knee to some system born from the traditions of men where equality is a meaningless word under their creeds and moral dogma, who are clearly holding hands with world in its quest of governing minds into that prison.

Too bad you don't know how to make sense.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
So far we've concluded that there is one truth. Does anybody dispute that there is more than one way to see this truth? If not then there is the possibility that there could be more than one interpretation to the scriptures, correct? We're not judging whether one has more accuracy than another. We're just looking at the fact that there could be more than one interpretation.

There are copious amounts of personal interpretations, however, there
is only one truth regarding the Grace of God. The truth is what matters.

Prizebeatz1

2+2=4. That is objectively true regardless of our interpretation of it. It's truth stands true apart from us. Just as Christ does. He is objective truth apart from our interpretation.

Relative truth renders all things meaningless. Us deciding which flavor we like is as fleeting as the wind.

Our consciences tell us Love is truth. God tells us that. Jesus demonstrated that. His word tells us that. His Spirit confirms it when we trust Him.

In the words of Pontius Pilate, "What is truth?"

Prizebeatz1

Might I suggest that this viewpoint is a subtle way of denying the absoluteness and singleness of truth. Not merely of logical propositions (which can be easily confirmed) but of Truth that sets a man free (John 8:32). This Truth is not determined by the senses (only) but is hidden from the wise and prudent and revealed unto babes (Matthew 11:25). The foundational nature of this Truth is that the man to whom it is revealed despairs of himself because that Truth is against him - is against every man. The Truth is objective and speaks of itself - not of ourselves. It is real, it is single and it is not something that we can receive unless God reveals it to us (John 3:27). But again, it is not something we can or even will receive because it is, by its very nature, not of us - it is of God.

I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
John 5:43

Man, by his very (fallen) nature, wants to justify and exalt himself. If the message exalts him or his sense of self, he will receive it and the one who sent it. But the very heart of Jesus' message was one that would not be received - in part because He didn't come touting Himself. And that is the very nature of the message. For even the Spirit of Truth that He promised had that same witness :

Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

John 7:16-18

I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 16:12-15

Notice that there is never a hint of Jesus pointing to Himself - rather it is the Father and the Spirit validating Him. It isn't His own Divinity He points to, but the testimony of the Father and of the Spirit to what He is saying. If Jesus bore that message, then the Truth - when it is given to us - will be utterly not of us, nor will it exalt us. It will exalt Christ. And it will be separate from us. Men will not glorify us, but God (for we are not the same thing).

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

The Truth requires that it not be of us, nor exalt us in any way. If it does, we have not been crucified with Christ and we still live. If Christ was in union with the Father in such an intimate way as we see in His prayer of John 17 - and He prayed that all those in Him would be one even as He was one with the Father - then the distinction He makes between Himself and the Father should show us that the Truth will not be something we can muddle with our own thoughts or ideas. In short, the Truth is undeniable and undeniably not of "me".

The bottom line is that if there is any doubt or confusion or thought that there might be another way of looking at things to find the Truth, then that is strong indication that one's own thoughts and ideas are taking the place of Christ and His doctrine. If the supposed truth in any way exalts me, it is not Truth.

Is it possible that one interpretation of the Gospel message is that we are one with Truth? Why wouldn't that resolve everything?

HisServant

Its the job of the Holy Spirit to lead us to the truth....that is it.

Anyone claiming to have the truth is a false teacher.

Jamie Gigliotti

In the words of Pontius Pilate, "What is truth?"

Being in accord with fact or reality. When a man declares himself the truth, the way and the life, and His followers are subjected to horrendous torture and death for not recanting the testimony of His life and resurection, the evidence in combination with our consciences move some to reality of His Spirit that is alive and well in us. All of this confirms His word, the truth, reality.

nikolai_42

Is it possible that one interpretation of the Gospel message is that we are one with Truth? Why wouldn't that resolve everything?

One interpretation does not equal truth. That's part of my point - that the truth is irrefutable and undeniable (though we deny it). And it is precisely because it is not of us that we reject it. In the end, a hallmark of Truth is that the one who holds it recognizes it is not of him. So that even if he is - in some sense - "one with Truth", he will in no way identify himself with it foundationally. It is just one step removed from saying "All is one" to say "All truth is one (and indistinguishable from those who hold it)".

Truth makes the whole picture clearer...not fuzzier. More distinct...not more of one indistinguishable mass. It divides and separates - it doesn't amalgamate.

Prizebeatz1

One interpretation does not equal truth. That's part of my point - that the truth is irrefutable and undeniable (though we deny it). And it is precisely because it is not of us that we reject it. In the end, a hallmark of Truth is that the one who holds it recognizes it is not of him. So that even if he is - in some sense - "one with Truth", he will in no way identify himself with it foundationally. It is just one step removed from saying "All is one" to say "All truth is one (and indistinguishable from those who hold it)".

Truth makes the whole picture clearer...not fuzzier. More distinct...not more of one indistinguishable mass. It divides and separates - it doesn't amalgamate.

That's one way to see it. Thank you for your input.

Prizebeatz1

I thought there was only one truth? How can there be relative and objective truth? Aren't these two kinds of truth? Wouldn't this make these two kinds of truth oppose each other? Perhaps a part of us is unconsciously creating divisions because that is its nature. There is no doubt something in us is trying to create separation in almost everything it sees. Could this be the personality or who we take ourselves to be? Perhaps we are unconsciously attached to this identity. Wouldn't that explain our tendency to divide and separate? What would be the implications?

6days

You and me and everyone. Are we not in accord with fact or reality?
Not sure if you are in accord with truth or not.
For example... Jesus said "No on comes to the Father, but by me".
There is no other way..... There is only one truth. There is one Truth.

Reactions: Lon