Study: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
"I don't want to be in the spotlight." Kim Davis, USA Today, Sept. 14, 2015

Poor woman, the media just won't leave her alone no matter how hard she tries. :eek:

I can only hope we don't see her step out to the Eye of the Tiger ever again.

And your bit on parental impact is important. There are twins in my son's preschool who tell the other kids that liking this or that is "girly" and they're the product of a single dad household.

His single father parenting may be balanced by positive female roles in the lives of his sons. I think the more important idea to focus on is authoritarianism, particularly a religious authoritarianism, the kind that would push young pregnant daughters to run away or get a secret abortion rather than face the wrath of their parents. Same with kids who would rather die (or die inside) than let their parents, church, etc. know that they're gay. It's sad.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Same with kids who would rather die (or die inside) than let their parents, church, etc. know that they're attracted to children. It's sad.

do you still think it's sad that kids who want to be perverts know they're going against Godly values?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
they just couldn't get married. Big whoop.

Oh is that all. This from the same guy who has been banned and joined back up under multiple user ID's so he could whine about all those oppressed men.

Poor little fellas. Big whoop.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not talking about pedophilia. Your perversion of my comment has been reported.

Ah, more blatant dishonesty on his part I see.

IF that were not the intent, he would have quoted your quote, word for word rather than lying in the quote box.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Interesting Scientific American article from a few years ago:

"A new analysis of implicit bias and explicit sexual orientation statements
:wazzup:
Yep, you got me. :mmph:

That is why I shop at Walmart, all those beautiful ladies. Must have been delusional when young, all the good looking men, when I was really attracted to billy-goats.:confused:

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Of course, there are no homophobes, but:

Homophobic? Maybe You’re Gay

Interesting article.

From the research paper:

A common way in which parents may interfere with their chil- dren’s autonomy is by conveying to the child that their love and affection is dependent on the child enacting specific behaviors and espousing sanctioned beliefs (Assor, Roth, & Deci, 2004; Roth, As- sor, Niemiec, Ryan, & Deci, 2009). This failure to support autonomy often results in children acting in ways that are inconsistent with their own values and interests in an effort to maintain conditions of worth. Children confronted with this parenting approach must distinguish between emotions, behaviors, and identities that are acceptable and lovable and others that are not. Those that are unacceptable are in turn defended against or suppressed, as they pose a threat to these and perhaps other important love relationships (Rogers, 1961). In fact, data suggest that those who experience behaviorally dependent par- enting experience less stable self-esteem, more introjection, and lower overall well-being (Roth et al., 2009).

[. . . ]

Perceived Parenting Styles
Previous empirical work has supported the claim that parents’ homophobic attitudes can influence their children’s homophobia (O’Bryan, Fishbein, & Ritchey, 2004). The present studies further explore this connection and the underlying mechanisms. Together these studies indicate that children are affected by their perceptions of their parents’ attitudes and that this relation involves, at least in part, the child’s self-concept and dynamics of threat and defense.
In Studies 2– 4, participants who perceived their parents as being homophobic displayed a greater discrepancy between implicit and explicit measures of orientation, suggesting that exposure to ho- mophobic attitudes at home inhibits children’s sexual self- exploration. Participants who reported that they had observed their parents rejecting others as a function of sexual orientation may have expected similar rejection had they acknowledged some degree of same-sex attraction within themselves.

In the three latter studies, these effects of fathers’ homophobia depended on the paternal provision of autonomy support. Partici- pants experiencing autonomy-supportive fathers were not impacted by their fathers’ homophobic attitudes, whereas those who saw their fathers as both controlling and homophobic exhibited more discrepant implicit and explicit indices of sexual orientation. Presumably, when fathers afforded their children the freedom for self-exploration, they were not motivated to suppress gay inclinations, even when these went against paternal attitudes. Instead, autonomy-supportive fathers may have conveyed their valuing of self-expression, even in conditions countering their own specific beliefs

[...]

Homophobic Attitudes and Behavior
Taken together, the above studies suggest that incongruence between implicit and explicit measures of sexual orientation is predictive of a variety of measures of homophobia and homophobic-consistent behaviors, namely, self-reported homophobia (measured with two validated scales), discriminatory bias, implicit hostility toward homosexuals, and endorsement of anti-gay policies. Although the present research does not directly examine the motivational underpinnings of the relationship between sexual orientation discrepancies and homophobia, we propose that these effects can be understood, at least in part, as a defensive response to maintain the suppression of self-relevant, but threatening, information.

Specifically, we believe this pattern of results to be consistent with the defense of reaction formation (A. Freud, 1936). When parents were perceived as controlling, and especially when fathers were experienced as both controlling and homophobic, participants exhibited less congruency in sexual orientation measures and in turn demonstrated more anti-gay sentiments. Gay targets may threaten to bring this incongruence to the forefront and thus elicit this defensive process (Baumeister et al., 1998; Cramer, 1991; A. Freud, 1936; S. Freud, 1915/1961; Shedler, 2010). In the present studies, outcomes for reaction formation were varied and included more endorsement of anti-gay rights policies, the assignment of harsher punishments, and increased implicit hostility toward gay targets. Outside of the lab context defensive processes may take the additional forms of verbal and physical assault, including bullying, directed toward those perceived to be gay.

Weinstein, N., Ryan, W. S., DeHaan, C. R., Przybylski, A. K., Legate, N., & Ryan, R. M. (2012). Parental autonomy support and discrepancies between implicit and explicit sexual identities: Dynamics of self-acceptance and defense. Journal Of Personality And Social Psychology, 102(4), 815-832. doi:10.1037/a0026854​

The "dynamics of threat and defense." Something to follow up on.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Oh is that all. This from the same guy who has been banned and joined back up under multiple user ID's so he could whine about all those oppressed men.

Poor little fellas. Big whoop.

Your desperation is hilarious. This and multiple other threads, you have chosen to spam the idea that I'm a past poster- for the past almost three months, the frequency of this has risen.

With that, and the predicted indifference of the problems and inequalities that men face- basically just making fun of it- I've succeeded in showing the ugliness in all it's glory. Male feminists on here don't even really debate me on the subject anymore because they know I'm right :chuckle:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
From the research paper: ...In the three latter studies, these effects of fathers’ homophobia depended on the paternal provision of autonomy support. Partici- pants experiencing autonomy-supportive fathers were not impacted by their fathers’ homophobic attitudes, whereas those who saw their fathers as both controlling and homophobic exhibited more discrepant implicit and explicit indices of sexual orientation.

Thanks for showing that a distant (unloving) or absent father does play a major role in his son or daughter's sexual confusion. It's something that I've shown throughout my 4 part thread.

Now:

With you being a follower of current events, you're obviously aware of how the LGBTQueer movement has infiltrated the Christian Church in the past few years.

gay-christians-homosexuality-bible.jpeg

These people are proud of their homosexuality (bisexuality, gender mutilation surgery/cross dressing) and aren't afraid to open up about it not only in public, but in a religious environment as well.

That being said: With TOL being a "religious environment", can you speculate why more homosexuals (lesbians and gays), bisexuals and genital mutilators/cross dressers (religious or secular) haven't come out and opened up about their perversion sexuality?

Art Brain claims there are no homosexuals (and I assume he means bisexuals, genital mutilators/cross dressers as well) on TOL. But the statistics show that there must be, as heavily as they've infiltrated the Christian Church everywhere else.

Perhaps a study has been done explaining why?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Your desperation is hilarious. This and multiple other threads, you have chosen to spam the idea that I'm a past poster- for the past almost three months, the frequency of this has risen.

With that, and the predicted indifference of the problems and inequalities that men face- basically just making fun of it- I've succeeded in showing the ugliness in all it's glory. Male feminists on here don't even really debate me on the subject anymore because they know I'm right :chuckle:

For a guy that is, "less than" you sure act pompous. You're like
an ant trying to bully a Bengal Tiger.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Thanks for showing that a distant (unloving) or absent father does play a major role in his son or daughter's sexual confusion. It's something that I've shown throughout my 4 part thread.

Now:

With you being a follower of current events, you're obviously aware of how the LGBTQueer movement has infiltrated the Christian Church in the past few years.

gay-christians-homosexuality-bible.jpeg

These people are proud of their homosexuality (bisexuality, gender mutilation surgery/cross dressing) and aren't afraid to open up about it not only in public, but in a religious environment as well.

That being said: With TOL being a "religious environment", can you speculate why more homosexuals (lesbians and gays), bisexuals and genital mutilators/cross dressers (religious or secular) haven't come out and opened up about their perversion sexuality?

Art Brain claims there are no homosexuals (and I assume he means bisexuals, genital mutilators/cross dressers as well) on TOL. But the statistics show that there must be, as heavily as they've infiltrated the Christian Church everywhere else.

Perhaps a study has been done explaining why?

Whereas, it seems there are environmental reasons for
homosexuality, we mustn't forget, from a Spiritual standpoint,
homosexuality is a "chosen" sexual lust of the flesh. People
aren't just "born homosexual."

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The Bible, in the Old Testament refers to homosexuality as an abomination.
I remember reading an interesting "religious" book about thirty years ago and
I found out this "religious" book had been written by a homosexual writer who
wrote for Billy Graham. This guy; Mel White, eventually became a Pastor at a
homosexual church. I must admit, that came as a big surprise to me.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Whereas, it seems there are environmental reasons for
homosexuality, we mustn't forget, from a Spiritual standpoint,
homosexuality is a "chosen" sexual lust of the flesh. People
aren't just "born homosexual."

There is no "it seems there are environmental reasons for homosexuality", not only does the evidence show that environmental factors cause homosexual desires, Holy Scripture does as well.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Womb/

God made us in the womb, there is no way He would have given us perverse sexual desires.

That being said: If we truly love our neighbor as we love ourselves, we'll do everything possible to help those who have homosexual desires to find a way out of them and to live a life that God wants mankind to live from the time He formed us in the womb.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
some "christians" are pedophiles

should we just get over that too?

How is it possible to rape little children and still call yourself a follower of Christ?

There are no 'gay Christians', just as there are no adulterous, incestuous or bestial Christians.

Are there Christians who struggle with those and other sins? Of course, but the keyword here is "struggle", because they don't identify their relationship with Christ through their sinful behavior.