You deserve this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Deserved always implies a sense of justice.

That's why the word undeserved exists.

You can't deserve something unjust.

Example: a man doesn't deserve to be scalded to death by prison guards for defecating on himself and dirtying his cell. His death was undeserved.

elohiym

so you're making your own definition of a word?

You don't know the definition of the word deserve? :shocked: Here it is from Merriam Webster:

de·served de·serv·ing

transitive verb

: to be worthy of : merit <deserves another chance>
intransitive verb

: to be worthy, fit, or suitable for some reward or requital <have become recognized as they deserve — T. S. Eliot>​

Clearly the definition implies a sense of justice, as do all the synonyms without exception.

have fun with that :wave2:

I just did! :banana:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

Example: a man doesn't deserve to be scalded to death by prison guards for defecating on himself and dirtying his cell. His death was undeserved.

I explained the meanings of the word "deserve" in a previous rape thread. I find it baffling that you people are still debating this.

"Deserve" is said in many ways. Yes, deserve always implies a sense of justice, but "justice" itself can be used in different ways. We talk about such a thing as "poetic justice," for example, which is not really justice in the strict, primary sense, and "poetic justice" has related to it a correlate sense of "deserve," which is, again, not truly desert in the primary, strict sense.

Do you wish for me again to make an enumeration of the different senses of "deserve"?

bybee

Agreed! Not only was his death undeserved but to be treated in such a despicable manner when you are powerless is also undeserved.

bybee

I explained the meaning of the word "deserve" in a previous rape thread. I find it baffling that you people are still debating this.

"Deserve" is said in many ways. Yes, deserve always implies a sense of justice, but "justice" itself can be used in different ways. We talk about such a thing as "poetic justice," for example, which is not really justice in the strict, primary sense, and "poetic justice" has related to it a correlate sense of "deserve," which is, again, not truly desert in the primary, strict sense.

Do you wish for me again to make an enumeration of the different senses of "deserve"?

When you grow a heart you may speak.

glorydaz

I explained the meaning of the word "deserve" in a previous rape thread. I find it baffling that you people are still debating this.

Yes, do it again.

It's like the word "reward". Reward is used as a positive or a negative.

2 Timothy 4:14
Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:

Psalm 103:10
He hath not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

Ezra 9:13
And after all that is come upon us for our evil deeds, and for our great trespass, seeing that thou our God hast punished us less than our iniquities deserve, and hast given us such deliverance as this;​

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Ok. Once again, an enumeration of the senses of "deserve."

1. "Deserve" in the strict sense implies what is due according to justice. Thus if I loan you 5 dollars, I deserve to be paid 5 dollars (or the equivalent monetary amount adjusting for inflation, or else, again, a good or service equivalent to 5 dollars to which I have agreed) back. You commit an injustice against me if you refuse to repay me.

2. Again, "deserve" can indicate poetic justice. Thus, someone who gets away with murder "deserves" to be murdered himself. We often say that such an occurrence is "karmic justice" or "cosmic justice." Strictly speaking, the person who murdered the murderer committed an injustice; nonetheless, the person who himself was murdered "deserved it" or "had it coming to him."

3. Again, "deserve" can indicate a linking together of apparent cause and effect. Thus, if I close my eyes and run straight ahead at full speed, I "deserve" to run into a brick wall. "I had it coming" and "I should have known better."

genuineoriginal

You don't know the definition of the word deserve? :shocked: Here it is from Merriam Webster:

de·served de·serv·ing

transitive verb

: to be worthy of : merit <deserves another chance>
intransitive verb

: to be worthy, fit, or suitable for some reward or requital <have become recognized as they deserve — T. S. Eliot>​

Clearly the definition implies a sense of justice, as do all the synonyms without exception.

I just did! :banana:

_____
deserve

1250-1300; Middle English deserven < Anglo-French, Old French deservir, Latin dēservīre to devote oneself to the service of, equivalent to dē- de- + servīre to serve
_____​
Devoting oneself to serve does not imply a sense of justice
It implies a causal relationship.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Furthermore, since we are still talking about this nonsense, I suppose I'll weigh in on whether or not women "deserve" to be raped in any of the senses that I have enumerated:

1. Rape is never deserved in the sense of 1 (what is due according to justice). Rape as such implies injustice.

2. Rape may be deserved in the sense of 2 (what is due according to poetic justice). Thus do we have a tendency to make jokes about prison rape, especially when it comes to criminals who have committed particularly heinous crimes.

3. Rape may be deserved in the sense of 3 (what is reasonably foreseeable as though by cause and effect). "You left your drink unattended at a fraternity party? What did you expect to happen, lady?"

glorydaz

:rotfl:

:listen: Bybee can see into the hearts of all of us. :shocked:

Yes, I recognize the little god syndrome.

1 Samuel 16:7
7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.​

1PeaceMaker

Yes, deserve always implies a sense of justice

So then you should agree with the OP.

We talk about such a thing as "poetic justice," for example, which is not really justice in the strict, primary sense, and "poetic justice" has related to it a correlate sense of "deserve," which is, again, not truly desert in the primary, strict sense.

Let's see the definition of poetic justice, then.

poetic justice: noun

The fact of experiencing a fitting or deserved retribution for one’s actions:
‘the noise was deafening and it was poetic justice when the amplifiers stalled just before the start’
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/poetic-justice?q=poetic+justice

They better all imply justice is served.

bybee

Yes, I recognize the little god syndrome.

1 Samuel 16:7
7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.​

I'm afraid that you do not have eyes to see nor ears to hear.

1PeaceMaker

Furthermore, since we are still talking about this nonsense, I suppose I'll weigh in on whether or not women "deserve" to be raped in any of the senses that I have enumerated:

1. Rape is never deserved in the sense of 1 (what is due according to justice). Rape as such implies injustice.
At least we agree on this point.

2. Rape may be deserved in the sense of 2 (what is due according to poetic justice). Thus do we have a tendency to make jokes about prison rape, especially when it comes to criminals who have committed particularly heinous crimes.

But a woman who hasn't raped anybody can't reap poetic justice, either.

3. Rape may be deserved in the sense of 3 (what is reasonably foreseeable as though by cause and effect). "You left your drink unattended at a fraternity party? What did you expect to happen, lady?"

It's not reasonable for someone to poison your drink, therefore it isn't ever deserved. People have to look out for each other because unjust, unreasonable predators are in our midst. That doesn't make the victims deserving of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.