The UN demands the US pay Reparations

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, here's the thing. I can tell, from the rate at which you are posting responses, and additional thoughts, that you're really excited to share your position on this issue. You're practically begging someone to help you show it off. I post one thing, and you post three things a few minutes apart. But your depth of thought on the subject is minimal. So I think that trying to talk to you about it would be very tiring, and also completely fruitless. Frankly, you haven't said anything new or interesting about it, and I doubt that you have the patience to stop and consider my points with the kind of deliberation that would be required.

You've said this before. As of yet, you have yet to actually provide any points which actually merit deliberation. You're all about sweeping blanket generalizations, whether of a historical nature or otherwise, and you are positively laden with empirically unverified (and likely unverifiable) assumptions which you hold simply because of your ideological leanings.

In the previous thread in which we debated this, again and again, I demanded direct empirical evidence, and instead, you insisted on throwing up a smokescreen. If I recall, your argument boiled down to: Agree with me, or else, you're a racist bigot.

A simplification, of course, but that's basically what it comes down to.

That's what it always comes down to with you liberals. :nono:

The alternative is to allow a mass injustice to persist for another generation, maybe forever because we aren't willing to give it much thought.

Yes, it's such a mass injustice that it's impossible for you to point to any empirically verifiable fact which you can tie directly to slavery, as opposed to other factors, which is responsible for this "injustice."

It's such a mass injustice that you have absolutely no direct empirical evidence that there is an injustice at all against any particular, actual, living black people today which could or should possibly merit government intervention.

It's such a great injustice that instead of telling me about how individual black people have been affected in particular unjust ways, you and the rest of you liberals insist on talking about injustice at this vague, general, societal level.

Poor black people get free college, free housing, etc., at least, so I've heard.

I've got student loans.
:rolleyes:

Black people get most federal government jobs.

Good luck on me getting one.

Last edited:

CherubRam

As long as they call for the British, Portuguese, Dutch, French and Spanish slave traders to pay reparations, African tribes that kidnapped and sold other tribes to pay reparations, and South America and the Caribbean to also pay reparations, as they had many more slaves than North America, then they might have a case.
You forgot the most important part, it was Arab Muslims at the head of black slavery.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
You forgot the most important part, it was Arab Muslims at the head of black slavery.

If true, it wouldn't surprise me. Muslims, historically, have tended to be proponents of slavery. It went hand in hand with their political military expansionism.

But of course, you won't see liberals talking about that, even if it were true, right? :rolleyes:

CherubRam

You've said this before. As of yet, you have yet to actually provide any points which actually merit deliberation. You're all about sweeping blanket generalizations, whether of a historical nature or otherwise, and you are positively laden with empirically unverified (and likely unverifiable) assumptions which you hold simply because of your ideological leanings.

In the previous thread in which we debated this, again and again, I demanded direct empirical evidence, and instead, you insisted on throwing up a smokescreen. If I recall, your argument boiled down to: Agree with me, or else, you're a racist bigot.

A simplification, of course, but that's basically what it comes down to.

That's what it always comes down to with you liberals. :nono:

Yes, it's such a mass injustice that it's impossible for you to point to any empirically verifiable fact which you can tie directly to slavery, as opposed to other factors, which is responsible for this "injustice."

It's such a mass injustice that you have absolutely no direct empirical evidence that there is an injustice at all against any particular, actual, living black people today which could or should possibly merit government intervention.

It's such a great injustice that instead of telling me about how individual black people have been affected in particular unjust ways, you and the rest of you liberals insist on talking about injustice at this vague, general, societal level.

Poor black people get free college, free housing, etc., at least, so I've heard.

I've got student loans. :rolleyes:

Good luck on me getting one.

I have been told many times that I was not hired because they needed to fill their quota of minorities. So where did the good production jobs go? They went to China with help from Nixon and the Republican party. And that is why I can not afford to vote Republican.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I have been told many times that I was not hired because they needed to fill their quota of minorities. So where did the good production jobs go? They went to China with help from Nixon and the Republican party. And that is why I can not afford to vote Republican.

Sounds like you are owed some reparations! :p

CherubRam

If true, it wouldn't surprise me. Muslims, historically, have tended to be proponents of slavery. It went hand in hand with their political military expansionism.

But of course, you won't see liberals talking about that, even if it were true, right? :rolleyes:

What is amazing, is that black Muslims do not know that it was the Muslims that introduced black slavery to the white race.

rexlunae

You complain about a lack of empirical facts, and then you post nonsense like this? Have you tried checking?

:rotfl:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Do you have a coherent argument for this?

Black people: get over it.

black people: shut up. ;)

to all black people, I say:

Why don't you go cry a bridge and then get over it?

RACIST! :sozo:

Oh. So this is what you meant by "vibrant" conversation.

CherubRam

You complain about a lack of empirical facts, and then you post nonsense like this? Have you tried checking?

I do not know the reason why, but I see a great many white people living in the streets and BLM land. I do not see any black people living under such conditions, but surly there must be some somewhere. Anyway it is one of those things that make you go, hmmm.:think:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

I am embarrassed now. I was in error about the federal jobs thing. Roughly 17-18% of federal employees are black, given a cursory google search. That said, black people are only roughly 13% of the US population.

I may or may not be in error about the college thing. That said, because black people tend to be poorer, they do tend to get higher pell grants, at least, I think that's true. [I think that this is ridiculous, by the way. Why should the parents' income matter (unless we are talking about wealthy parents) when it comes to how much the student gets in terms of federal funding? Lower middle class families get the short end of the stick on this. They aren't particularly able to pay for their children to go to college, but their children don't get as much federal funding because the government magically deems them of a higher ability to pay. :rolleyes:]

Not to mention that there are various scholarships and grants which are specifically for black people. Racists. :nono:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Oh. So this is what you meant by "vibrant" conversation.

With all due respect:

You conveniently left off the actual arguments which preceded those rhetorical flourishes.

Would you like to share your thoughts, preferably accompanied by facts and reasonable arguments, about the matter of whether or not reparations are owed?

CherubRam

I am embarrassed now. I was in error about the federal jobs thing. Roughly 17-18% of federal employees are black, given a cursory google search. That said, black people are only roughly 13% of the US population.

I may or may not be in error about the college thing. That said, because black people tend to be poorer, they do tend to get higher pell grants, at least, I think that's true. [I think that this is ridiculous, by the way. Why should the parents' income matter (unless we are talking about wealthy parents) when it comes to how much the student gets in terms of federal funding? Lower middle class families get the short end of the stick on this. They aren't particularly able to pay for their children to go to college, but their children don't get as much federal funding because the government magically deems them of a higher ability to pay. :rolleyes:]

Not to mention that there are various scholarships and grants which are specifically for black people. Racists. :nono:
I have also heard that there is money and grants available for minorities, but not whites.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
With all due respect:

You conveniently left off the actual arguments which preceded those rhetorical flourishes.

Well, as you said: "A simplification of course, but that's basically what it comes down to."

Would you like to share your thoughts, preferably accompanied by facts and reasonable arguments, about the matter of whether or not reparations are owed?

I considered wading into it, but... no. I'll leave you to it.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Well, as you said: "A simplification of course, but that's basically what it comes down to."

Except, it really did come down to that.

In the previous thread to which I was referring, RexLunae's argument was essentially this:

Either the cause of inequality between black people and non-black people in terms of arrest rates, sentencing, etc. is because of society/the system, or else, because of black people.

The latter is racist. Therefore, the former is the case.

In other words:

Either agree with me, or else, you're a racist bigot.

That was his argument. [You can even ask him. He'll tell you, I'm sure.] He had no empirical evidence. He simply had an a priori assumption: "Black people can't possibly be to blame for their own problems with the law. That's racist."

I considered wading into it, but... no. I'll leave you to it.

As it pleases you. You are, however, more than welcome, as always, to share your thoughts. :idunno:

Selaphiel

Traditio said:
The hip hop culture comes to mind.

While I am no hip hop fan, there are plenty of good hip hop that provide good social criticism. There is hip hop that isn't 50 cent or Dr.Dre.

Also, you forgot to mention two other musical genres dominated by black culture: Jazz and blues.

There are finer things out there than Metallica.

The soaring criminality rates of black people come to mind.

Because that has no connection to living in poverty due to injustice.

The apparent inability of many black people to speak proper English comes to mind.

Sub-cultures with specific language is not a black thing, it is a human thing.

There is little doubt that your comments are quite racist, at least implicitly.

Seriously, you are supposed to be a philosopher, what happened to your critical faculty?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
This almost makes me want to vote for Donald Trump. Almost. If only so that he could tell them where to shove their proposals.

In addition to demanding that reparations be paid in the form of enhanced social services, etc. specifically targeted to black people (as though that weren't racist at all!), they also take issue with stand your ground laws and with US states that forbid convicted felons from voting.

They also take issue with law enforcement.

Hey, liberals, I have a better idea: you don't want people from a certain demographic to get shot? Encourage them not to commit violent crimes. Encourage them to avoid making others feel the need to invoke their basic right of self-defense.

You don't want black people to get barred from voting because they are felons? Encourage them to stop committing felony crimes. :rolleyes:

we could ship 'em all back to africa :idunno:

brewmama

Because that has no connection to living in poverty due to injustice.

If that were true, blacks would have been much more involved in crime prior to affirmative action, forced "equality" laws, welfare, etc. Yet black crime is much worse under liberal policies, NOT from "living in poverty due to injustice". It's much more connected to the break-down of the family .