Racism, Bigotry and Misogyny at TOL

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
She clearly said at the beginning of her post that she wasn't talking about her husband.

Oops. Mea culpa! I remember reading her posting, seeing that she said that, but somewhere in between reading "not my husband" and me actually writing my answer, I somehow forgot about that part.

It was late and I read other postings in the thread in between reading hers and answering hers! :noid:

Nonetheless, my point stands: whatever the abuse may be, and whoever the abuser may be, I fully agree with Sitamun: chances are, the vast majority of the time, the abused person probably doesn't deserve it.

We can't reason, however, from "usually not" to "never."

Ultimately, that was my initial point. "Never" is a strong claim.

I'm willing to grant that a woman usually does not deserve a beating [at least, of course, not from their husbands, employers, etc.] But never? There are and has been a whole bunch of women. You really willing to tell me that not even one deserved to be beaten or killed? Out of the billions of women that have ever lived, not one deserved a beating or a killing?

It's not like rape; rape in and of itself implies injustice. It's pretty much always unjust to rape someone.

But to beat someone? To kill someone? That's a different story.

Last edited:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Employers now? Never mind, I don't want to know.

Sitamun said:
This is very true, and to be honest why I've avoided posting on the forum for awhile. I've lately had to deal with a man who is an abusive alcoholic. Now, it's not a family member, nor my husband, but a man I unfortunately have to spend a large amount of time around due to my job.

I may have misread this as meaning "employer."

:noid:

Whatever Sitamun is describing, I fully admit that she probably doesn't deserve it.

Pretty much?

It depends on how you understand rape. If you understand rape in such a way that it involves injustice in its very notion or description, then rape is intrinsically evil and never permissible.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'm unfamiliar with this. What are you talking about?

Isaiah 13:9 Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.

10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.

11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.

12 I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir.

13 Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the Lord of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger.

14 And it shall be as the chased roe, and as a sheep that no man taketh up: they shall every man turn to his own people, and flee every one into his own land.

15 Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword.

16 Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Oh, ok.

I don't think that the verse in question is saying that rape is just in those cases, at least, with respect to the rapist. Consider the case of King David. Yes, the things he suffered was a "just" penalty for him to suffer what he did. Nonetheless, the persons who "carried out" that penalty still acted unjustly in so doing and were utterly worthless people.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
if they were doing God's will, how could they be acting unjustly?

Everything that happens is according to God's will either a. by direct ordinance or b. by permission. Even our sins are foreknown and permitted to happen by God.

ok doser

Everything that happens is according to God's will either a. by direct ordnance or b. by permission. Even our sins are foreknown and permitted by God.

i started down this path yesterday with tam, but she was more interested in playing the fool than discussing it

like to come back to it with you, but later - got schoolwork to do

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Then "earn" is not an accurate term to use. Otherwise we are simply talking about cause and effect sans any responsibility or expectation by the victim for a possible negative outcome.

Sure it is.

Earn - 1.
to gain or get in return for one's labor (labor/actions)

also

to acquire through merit

Merit - to procure, receive, obtain.

neither word, always means a positive, we can earn and merit negative consequences to our own decisions and actions.

Expectation of an event based on ones own actions or lack of action and decisions doesn't in any way affect that there are consequences for actions both good and bad.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
How do you understand rape?

I don't. That's not my field of interest.

I could rattle out one or more definitions, but I wouldn't swear by them.

For example, I could tell you: "Taking a woman against her will, i.e., by force."

Or I could tell you: "Taking a woman who does not belong to oneself against her will, i.e., by force."

Here's what St. Thomas says:

St II-II said:
I answer that, Rape, in the sense in which we speak of it now, is a species of lust: and sometimes it coincides with seduction; sometimes there is rape without seduction, and sometimes seduction without rape.

They coincide when a man employs force in order unlawfully to violate a virgin. This force is employed sometimes both towards the virgin and towards her father; and sometimes towards the father and not to the virgin, for instance if she allows herself to be taken away by force from her father's house. Again, the force employed in rape differs in another way, because sometimes a maid is taken away by force from her parents' house, and is forcibly violated: while sometimes, though taken away by force, she is not forcibly violated, but of her own consent, whether by act of fornication or by the act of marriage: for the conditions of rape remain no matter how force is employed. There is rape without seduction if a man abduct a widow or one who is not a virgin. Hence Pope Symmachus says [Ep. v ad Caesarium; Cf. can. Raptores xxxvi, qu. 2, "We abhor abductors whether of widows or of virgins on account of the heinousness of their crime."

There is seduction without rape when a man, without employing force, violates a virgin unlawfully

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
i started down this path yesterday with tam, but she was more interested in playing the fool than discussing it

like to come back to it with you, but later - got schoolwork to do

You should start a thread on it and link me to it when you do.

WizardofOz

Sure it is.

Earn - 1.
to gain or get in return for one's labor (labor/actions)

also

to acquire through merit

Merit - to procure, receive, obtain.

neither word, always means a positive, we can earn and merit negative consequences to our own decisions and actions.

Expectation of an event based on ones own actions or lack of action and decisions doesn't in any way affect that there are consequences for actions both good and bad.

Consequence, yes. If the consequence is not equitable to the action then it isn't earned. It's more cause and effect.

If a woman is raped while walking home alone she didn't earn the rape or choose to be rape. It's more a consequence of 'wrong place, wrong time'.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Consequence, yes. If the consequence is not equitable to the action then it isn't earned. It's more cause and effect.

con·se·quence
ˈkänsikwəns/
noun
noun: consequence; plural noun: consequences

a result or effect of an action or condition.

I dont think you understand what consequence means.

For something to have an effect, it doesnt have to have a commensurate effect, just an effect.

Example: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

ok doser

con·se·quence
ˈkänsikwəns/
noun
noun: consequence; plural noun: consequences

a result or effect of an action or condition.

I dont think you understand what consequence means.

For something to have an effect, it doesnt have to have a commensurate effect, just an effect.

if we were talking about anything other than rape, he'd understand

they all would

fascinating, isn't it?