User Tag List

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: ARCHIVE: Hello. (funniest "hello" thread ever!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fnord5
    Nice try.
    First, the US declaration if independence:
    That means that EVERYONE has the same rights, regardless. (Felons and non citizens excluded)OK, but same rights means marriage, a union between TWO people, the definition is two, not 9, 3 or 12.
    Well, that clearly isn't EVERYONE is it? (not to mention that only Polygamy and Bestiality are a unions between more - or less - than two people, all of the other potential marriage groups I listed are unions between two people i.e., incest, pedophile marriage)

Didn't you say you studied logic in college?

Second, I believe that the government should be kept as small as possible. I do not think that they have any place telling anyone who they can, or cannot marry.
    Operative word is WHO, animals are not a who, they are a thing. And, children are incapable of making that kind of decision. The incest thing is a matter of national health, an arena where the government does belong.
    So, you DO in fact believe that government can tell people who they CAN and CANNOT marry eh?

Third, economic and social benefit for everyone. Lowered tax burden, reduced rates on insurance, the ability to act as a spouse in medical situations, and a reduces stigma attached to homosexuals. Not too sure what your point was in the parts you struck out, please elaborate.
    If these things apply towards homosexuals then there is no reason (in and of themselves) that they shouldn't apply to the other potential marriage groups I asked you about.

So... you have been on TOL a total of what? A couple hours? And I think its rather obvious you weren't prepared for this place.

Better luck in the future.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be the funniest "Hello" thread ever!

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehh, not that I am trying to avoid owning up to faults in my argument, justification for what I believe in one case, can be contradictory to justification in another.
    You asked for reasons why I supported it, and I gave them. You then asked me if because I supported same sex marriage, I supported the other marriages. They may overlap on some points, but may be contradictory in others. Such is the nature of all belief.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 1,200 Posts

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there, I am quite new here, but I hope that I can quickly fit in. I am pro choice, pro gun, pro homosexual marriage rights, anti affirmative action, pro war in Iraq, I think fundamentalist Christians are on par with Islamic extremists.
    I'm surprised to see that set of beliefs together. Normally pro choice & pro homosexual marriage don't go with pro Iraq war, anti-affirmative action, and pro gun. Also, in a later post you say you want government to be as small as possible. What is the main reason you describe yourself as a "left winger"?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ehh, not that I am trying to avoid owning up to faults in my argument, justification for what I believe in one case, can be contradictory to justification in another.
    You asked for reasons why I supported it, and I gave them. You then asked me if because I supported same sex marriage, I supported the other marriages. They may overlap on some points, but may be contradictory in others. Such is the nature of all belief.
    So then... lets take one statement at a time and analyze it.

In defense of gay marriage you stated.....
    That means that EVERYONE has the same rights, regardless. (Felons and non citizens excluded)
    We now know beyond any doubt that you DO NOT BELIEVE that EVERYONE has (or should have) the same rights.

Will you admit that you need to (at very least) revise and or strike from the record your above defense of gay marriage?

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight

In defense of gay marriage you stated.....We now know beyond any doubt that you DO NOT BELIEVE that EVERYONE has (or should have) the same rights.

Will you admit that you need to (at very least) revise and or strike from the record your above defense of gay marriage?
    That is not my belief, that was a Justification for it.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoney
    I'm surprised to see that set of beliefs together. Normally pro choice & pro homosexual marriage don't go with pro Iraq war, anti-affirmative action, and pro gun. Also, in a later post you say you want government to be as small as possible. What is the main reason you describe yourself as a "left winger"?
    Clicked the wrong one on accident.

I am disappointed there is no "libertarian" or Anarchist option.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wasted post #1.

That is not my belief, that was a Justification for it.
    No duh.

Lets try again....

In defense of gay marriage you stated.....
    That means that EVERYONE has the same rights, regardless. (Felons and non citizens excluded)
    We now know beyond any doubt that you DO NOT BELIEVE that EVERYONE has (or should have) the same rights.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No duh.

Lets try again....

In defense of gay marriage you stated.....We now know beyond any doubt that you DO NOT BELIEVE that EVERYONE has (or should have) the same rights.

No, I actually had that covered. Polygamy is a felony, as is pedophilia and incest. The bestiality issue was rendered moot because marriage is between two people.
    And, felons are excluded.
    Next

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,848 Posts

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I abhor close minded people...
    Okay mister "I majored in logic", in what way is the above quote not self-contradictory?

Also, I like to ask you to answer the following few questions...

Is there any such actual thing as a pervert?

If so, what does it mean to be a pervert and who gets to decide who is and is not a pervert?

Is it closed minded to call someone a pervert who either actively supports perversion or is in fact a pervert?

If the Declaration OF Independence said that being a homosexual was a perversion, would you agree with it?

Is it closed minded to call someone closed minded before figuring out (or even bothering to ask) what that person meant by what they said?

Resting in Him,
    Clete

P.S. Hint: The answer to the last question is, "Yes".
    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 1,848 Posts

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I actually had that covered. Polygamy is a felony, as is pedophilia and incest. The bestiality issue was rendered moot because marriage is between two people.
    Next
    FYI

Homosexuality was a felony, in fact it was a capital crime, when the Declaration of Independence was written.
    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete
    FYI

Homosexuality was a felony, in fact it was a capital crime, when the Declaration of Independence was written.
    Operative word: was.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next
    You really are not that bright are you?

Currently gay marriage isn't legal! Yet you support it. In other words, you think the current laws should be over-turned to allow gay marriage, I therefore brought up OTHER EXAMPLES of illegal marital unions to see if your defense for gay marriage would hold up to logical scrutiny. You see, one could give the exact same defense for incestual or other illegal unions using your defense for gay marriage.

YES or NO?
    Do you believe that in regard to marriage EVERYONE should have the same rights, regardless?

My advice for you.... don't come to a gun fight with a rubber knife.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay mister "I majored in logic", in what way is the above quote not self-contradictory?
    Stating that I dislike close minded people is not contradictory, Although I may dislike them, I still take into consideration what they say.

Is there any such actual thing as a pervert?

If so, what does it mean to be a pervert and who gets to decide who is and is not a pervert?

Is it closed minded to call someone a pervert who either actively supports perversion or is in fact a pervert?
    Yes.
    A pervert is someone who goes against social mores, which are defined by the society.
    I would say that if defining that person as a pervert, no it is not. If done in an attempt to insult or marginalize them, yes, it is.
    If the Declaration OF Independence said that being a homosexual was a perversion, would you agree with it?
    I never said that homosexuality was not a perversion, just that they should be afforded the same rights as traditional marriage.
    Is it closed minded to call someone closed minded before figuring out (or even bothering to ask) what that person meant by what they said?

Resting in Him,
    Clete

P.S. Hint: The answer to the last question is, "Yes".
    Ahh, but you see, I made that statement before anyone had said anything to me. Not really all that applicable to this situation.
    A for effort though.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently gay marriage isn't legal!
    It is not legislated one way or the other. The federal government has not made any laws regarding same sex marriage.

Maybe you should take your own advice.

Thread Information