ECT What did this woman believe?

musterion

Riffing from Heir's superb "Can't be the same" thread...

And He said unto her, "Thy sins are forgiven." And they that sat at meat with Him began to say within themselves, "Who is this that forgiveth sins also?" And He said to the woman, "Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace" (Luke 7:49-50).
Facts in evidence:

1. Christ said the woman's sins were forgiven.

2. Christ said her sins were forgiven on the basis of her faith -- something she's believed.

3. Christ said that because of whatever it was she believed, she was now free to go in peace.

Question: what did this woman believe that saved her and put her at peace with her sins forgiven?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Riffing from Heir's superb "Can't be the same" thread...

Facts in evidence:

1. Christ said the woman's sins were forgiven.

2. Christ said her sins were forgiven on the basis of her faith -- something she's believed.

3. Christ said that because of whatever it was she believed, she was now free to go in peace.

Question: what did this woman believe that saved her and put her at peace with her sins forgiven?

You changed what she said, and what Christ said.

To believe in your understanding of it, is not the same as faith

Believing into, is faith. Notice her works of faith, not just the believing of a doctrine.

Luk 7:44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Luk 7:45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
Luk 7:46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Luk 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

Luk 7:48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
Luk 7:49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

I do not think you know the difference yet.

People believe a lot of truth but not in the inward parts.

They make up their own little private religion out of their belief systems.

LA

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
You changed what she said, and what Christ said.

To believe in your understanding of it, is not the same as faith

Believing into, is faith. Notice her works of faith, not just the believing of a doctrine.

Luk 7:44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Luk 7:45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
Luk 7:46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Luk 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

Luk 7:49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?

I do not think you know the difference yet.

People believe a lot of truth but not in the inward parts.

They make up their own little private religion out of their belief systems.

LA

It's interesting to watch you pretend to know something.
Your ignorance is beyond measure. You're really not fooling anybody
but yourself. You're a horrific actress. I'd feel sorry for you, but for the
fact that you cause so much disruption around here.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's interesting to watch you pretend to know something.
Your ignorance is beyond measure. You're really not fooling anybody
but yourself. You're a horrific actress. I'd feel sorry for you, but for the
fact that you cause so much disruption around here.

You seem to hate truth so much that you are prepared to say anything against Christ and His messengers, without any fear of any repercussions.

LA

musterion

No serious answers from non-MASs. Very telling.

I asked what the woman believed, not what she did. The two of you who have responded are making her salvation by her works. Are you good with that? What am I saying, of course you are.

Bradley D

I believe the woman believed what the Pharisees did not. That Jesus was the Christ and could forgive her sins.

Reactions: Lon

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I asked what the woman believed, not what she did. The two of you who have responded are making her salvation by her works. Are you good with that? What am I saying, of course you are.

Salvation is by the works of Christ to those who believe and do good works.

The woman did that.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
LA preaches a false doctrine and is another enemy of the Gospel.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Works are important.

Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

LA

Lon

1) she believed in Jesus as able to forgive her sins: Luke 7:37
2) She believed and was compelled to repentance Luke 7:37,38
3) She believed that Christ could forgive her and loved Him Luke 7:37,47

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's not what He said of her, liar.

There it is, folks: LA's false gospel.

You can not read, your false gospel of no works of faith doth blind your eyes.

Luk 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
Luk 7:38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
Luk 7:39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
Luk 7:40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
Luk 7:41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
Luk 7:42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
Luk 7:43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

LA

Interplanner

But 'works of the law' are the keeping of statutes and ordinances and observances. That's not exactly what she was doing.

oatmeal

LA is on the right track.

If you want to know what someone believes, the best way is to watch what they do, not necessarily listen to their words.

Actions speak louder than words. Although speaking words are an action.

Why do people do what they do?

Because of what they believe.

If you believe that Jesus is lord and the messiah, the anointed one, Acts 10:38, and that his works forgives sins, you would act accordingly.

In the case of this woman, she did what the culture she lived in required, she showed her humility and expectation toward the lord Jesus Christ by her actions. She sought forgiveness from the person she believed could forgive as demonstrated by her actions