ECT How is Paul's message different?

achduke

And Judas repented, RD.
Matthew 27:3 Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

He was remorseful. It did not say repent. Did he turn toward God? Did he ask Christ for his forgiveness? No, instead he hung himself. Is this acceptable by God?

Dialogos

THAT repentance was about Israel turning back to God and doing their job.
And gentile repentance wasn't about turning toward God?

:think:

RD said:
Repent is not some word with a single solitary meaning. It's always about repenting about something.
I'm familiar with the lexical meaning of μετανοεω but thank you for the reminder.

Right Divider said:
Total KJV occurrences: 34
[/INDENT]Like in the case of Acts 2, they were to repent of having denied Jesus Christ and having Him killed.
Act 2:22-24 KJV Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know: (23) Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: (24) Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Act 2:36-39 KJV Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. (37) Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? (38) Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
When they were told of THEIR murder of Jesus Christ, they were pricked in their heart and told to repent of that murder and denial and be baptized.

How does this prove that Israel is saved by a gospel that assumes the death of Christ is irrelevant again?

Peter tells them to repent of that which they did in wickedness knowing full well that it was the plan and foreknowledge of God that they do what they did.

This doesn't prove that the death of Christ for their sins was irrelevant to them.

john w

Hall of Fame
You have no mind. As a consequent you have no eyesight either. I would suggest you remain in your shell where there is more than ample room for your mouth to feed upon itself, hot air being all there is. How great can hot air be unless there is a smell attached to it, like an upper lip?

Hey, careful, clichebrain-those are fighing words. I'm not afraid of you-I've fought bigger chicks than you before.

john w

Hall of Fame
Matthew 27:3 Then Judas, His betrayer, seeing that He had been condemned, was remorseful and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

He was remorseful. It did not say repent. Did he turn toward God? Did he ask Christ for his forgiveness? No, instead he hung himself. Is this acceptable by God?

1.Translated: Clueless as to the biblical meaning of "repent."

Change your mind.

The LORD God repented, i.e., changed his mind. Look it up.

Matthew 27:3 KJV

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Changed his mind.

achduke

1.Translated: Clueless as to the biblical meaning of "repent."

Change your mind.

The LORD God repented, i.e., changed his mind. Look it up.

Matthew 27:3 KJV

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

Changed his mind.
True repentance means more than changing your mind.

Perhaps this link to bible gateway can help you.

https://www.biblegateway.com/resources/dictionaries/dict_meaning.php?source=1&wid=T0003105

Also here is a passage from Ezekiel that may help you.

Ezekiel 18:21 "But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.

Right Divider

Body part
And gentile repentance wasn't about turning toward God?

:think:
Of course, but this does not make them the nation of Israel nor give them the same duties that God gave to Israel (i.e., the holy nation... royal priesthood, etc).

I'm familiar with the lexical meaning of μετανοεω but thank you for the reminder.
I wasn't trying to knock your understanding, but there are plenty here that pour solitary meanings into works regardless of the context in which they are used (e.g., 'saved').

How does this prove that Israel is saved by a gospel that assumes the death of Christ is irrelevant again?

Peter tells them to repent of that which they did in wickedness knowing full well that it was the plan and foreknowledge of God that they do what they did.

This doesn't prove that the death of Christ for their sins was irrelevant to them.
Ultimately, everyone's sins are paid for at the cross. But this does NOT mean that all "good news" in the Bible is precisely the SAME good news.

john w

Hall of Fame
Don't hold your breath.

Another "original" cliche. You're starting to bore me.

John W is seemingly incapable of completing a thought without an insult.

Ditto from above.

The Lord Jesus Christ: Vipers...serpents...hypocrites....

J the B:Brood of vipers....

Paul: Perverters...child of the devil....liars....whited wall....ravenous wolves....

Peter: Dogs.

Take a seat, please.

john w

Hall of Fame
True repentance means more than changing your mind.

Perhaps this link to bible gateway can help you.

Nope:"change your mind...mental about face"/No thanks.

Perhaps this link to this great/humble biblical genus can help you.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/member.php?u=1851

Ezekiel 18:21 "But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die.

If you are asserting, that the word "repent" always means to "turn from your sins," then you have been marked/identified/exposed, as another wolf/wolf-ette, a "Lordship Salvation" proponent, and thus perverter of the gospel of Christ.

The LORD God repented. Thus, you say he sinned, must "turn from all his sins."

Last edited:

Dialogos

Of course, but this does not make them the nation of Israel nor give them the same duties that God gave to Israel (i.e., the holy nation... royal priesthood, etc).
Peter disagrees (1 Peter 2:9).

RD said:
I wasn't trying to knock your understanding, but there are plenty here that pour solitary meanings into works regardless of the context in which they are used (e.g., 'saved').
I didn't assume you were, but thank you for the congeniality of your responses.

RD said:
Ultimately, everyone's sins are paid for at the cross.
Here is where we share commonality, and this is why I consider most MAD folks brother's and sisters in the Lord.

Cross Reference

Here is where we share commonality, and this is why I consider most MAD folks brother's and sisters in the Lord.

But the cross needs to be approached and the plea made. If there is true repentance and contriteness, your prayer will be heard.

achduke

Nope:"change your mind...mental about face"/No thanks.

Perhaps this link to this great/humble biblical genus can help you.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/member.php?u=1851

If you are asserting, that the word "repent" always means to "turn from your sins," then you have been marked/identified/exposed, as another wolf/wolf-ette, a "Lordship Salvation" poroponent, and thus perverter of the gospel of Christ.

The LORD God repented. Thus, you say he sinned, must "turn from all his sins."

1 Samuel 15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

john w

Hall of Fame
1 Samuel 15:29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.

You missed the meaning of the passage, sport, the intent of the passage, not being, as you assert , that the LORD God cannot repent(Or, as you/others automatically assume/spam, assume it means "turn from your sins"-the LORD God does not sin-duh); it merely is conveying, that the LORD God, won't change his mind, and break his promise, as man breaks his promise.

You-out with these:

Genesis 6:6 KJV And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Exodus 32:14 KJV And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Judges 2:18 And when the Lord raised them up judges, then the Lord was with the judge, and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the Lord because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them.

1 Samuel 15:35 KJV And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

1 Chronicles 21:15 KJV And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the Lord stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Amos 7:3 KJV The Lord repented for this: It shall not be, saith the Lord.

Jonah 3:10 KJV And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

achduke

You missed the meaning of the passage, sport, the intent of the passage, not being, as you assert , that the LORD God cannot repent(Or, as you/others automatically assume/spam, assume it means "turn from your sins"-the LORD God does not sin-duh); it merely is conveying, that the LORD God, won't change his mind, and break his promise, as man breaks his promise.

You-out with these:

Genesis 6:6 KJV And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Exodus 32:14 KJV And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.

Judges 2:18 And when the Lord raised them up judges, then the Lord was with the judge, and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the Lord because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them.

1 Samuel 15:35 KJV And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.

1 Chronicles 21:15 KJV And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the Lord stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite.

Amos 7:3 KJV The Lord repented for this: It shall not be, saith the Lord.

Jonah 3:10 KJV And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
God does not sin. To repent for man as in the context of the NT is more than change your mind.

Right Divider

Body part
Peter is preaching to the 12 tribes of Israel...... He is a circumcision apostle. ONE of the 12 apostles that will judge the 12 tribes of Israel, just like Jesus told them.

Peter is QUOTING Exodus, which is a reference to ISRAEL:
Exo 19:6 KJV And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
You're welcome and the same to you.

That's far more generous than most.

john w

Hall of Fame
God does not sin. To repent for man as in the context of the NT is more than change your mind.

Made up. The bible gives you the answer, but you humanize it.

The LORD God repented.
Judas repented.

"Originally Posted by achduke

Ezekiel 18:21 "But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die."

Neither the LORD God, or Judas, a man, "turned from their sins."

Repent:change your mind, do a mental "about face"

Mayor of TOL, STP:"It's not that complicated."

QED.

achduke

Made up. The bible gives you the answer, but you humanize it.

The LORD God repented.
Judas repented.

"Originally Posted by achduke

Ezekiel 18:21 "But if a wicked man turns from all his sins which he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is lawful and right, he shall surely live; he shall not die."

Neither the LORD God, or Judas, a man, "turned from their sins."

Repent:change your mind, do a mental "about face"

Mayor of TOL, STP:"It's not that complicated."

QED.

I will research repentance later on and start a thread about it.

Daniel1769

Jesus, his disciples and Paul all preached the same Gospel. Salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. This is simple and obvious. Until I joined TOL, I didn't even think this was a debate. I've never heard anyone preach that there are different Gospels. I regularly attended church at at least 4 different denominations and never heard this. It's bizarre, friends.

Right Divider

Body part
Jesus, his disciples and Paul all preached the same Gospel. Salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. This is simple and obvious. Until I joined TOL, I didn't even think this was a debate. I've never heard anyone preach that there are different Gospels. I regularly attended church at at least 4 different denominations and never heard this. It's bizarre, friends.
You have to love "Churchianity" for its compromising to "keep the faith".