ECT Q about what Paul said about marriage

musterion

Why did he not tell wives to love their husbands? Did he assume that they always would love them and so didn't need telling?

Reactions: Lon

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why did he not tell wives to love their husbands? Did he assume that they always would love them and so didn't need telling?

The over translation of the word love perhaps. I don't do much with the Greek, being that I don't read, write or speak it. But others do. We know he isn't telling husbands to turn on feelings which is not possible. And he says to love her as Christ loves the church.

Some say that love is to serve.

Reactions: Lon

Cross Reference

Because obedience would be the reciprocal of the husband's love TO her. She lives for her husband's love and has been instructed in marriage on how to receive it. She can't lose because his love TO her is irresistable. That is the way the church of Jesus Christ is suppose to function. It is called "intimacy" as in "In-to-me-He-sees" that is purposed to result in, "In-to-Him-I-see".. cf John 17:3 and note the "know" to ponder it for the intimacy that it is intended to convey..

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
...[H]e says to love her as Christ loves the church.

"Paul quotes Genesis 2:24 in verse 31, “‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’” And then he gives it this all-important interpretation in verse 32: “This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.” In other words, marriage is patterned after Christ’s covenant commitment to his church..." Full text: Staying Married Is Not About Staying in Love, Part 1

He is to: love her (Eph. 5:25–33), live with her for life (Matt. 19:3–9), be faithful to her (Mal. 2:14, 15), be satisfied with her alone (Prov. 5:18, 19), instruct her (1 Cor 14:34, 35), honor her (1 Pet 3:7), confer with her (Gen. 31:4–16), provide for her (1 Tim 5:8) and rule over her (Gen. 3:16). Thomas Nelson Publishers. (1996). Nelson’s quick reference topical Bible index (p. 301). Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Why did he not tell wives to love their husbands?

Because everything that Christ Jesus and Paul taught about marriage pertained to the mystery of Christ and His church.

(Eph 5:25) Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

If you understood the mystery, you would know why.

As long as you keep denying that the church is the bride/wife of Christ, you will never understand the mystery.

(Eph 5:32) This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church.

Cross Reference

Because everything that Christ Jesus and Paul taught about marriage pertained to the mystery of Christ and His church.

(Eph 5:25) Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

As long as you keep denying that the church is the bride/wife of Christ, you will never understand the mystery.

(Eph 5:32) This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church.

If you both understood what intimacy, as explained by marriage, is all about, you would understand the mystery hidden in Christ..

genuineoriginal

Paul is confirming the hierarchical relationship that exists in the marriage.

Ephesians 5:33
33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.​

The man is to love (ἀγαπάω agapaō) his wife as God so loved (ἀγαπάω agapaō) the world (John 3:16).

The wife is to reverence (φοβέω phobeō) her husband as all men are commanded to Fear (φοβέω phobeō) God, and give glory to him (Revelation 14:7).

musterion

A comment I read recently muses that the usual interpretation is sort of backward. Instead of Paul using marriage as an illustration describing the Body's relation to Christ, the unity of Christ to His members is intended to be the model of marriage.

musterion

Because obedience would be the reciprocal of the husband's love TO her.

Disagreements on the whole obedience/submission thing aside (another thread), that's a fair assumption but, still, Paul did not say that. He did not specifically instruct wives to love their husbands.

musterion

Does not address the question in the o.p.

musterion

Paul is confirming the hierarchical relationship that exists in the marriage.

Ephesians 5:33
33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.​

The man is to love (ἀγαπάω agapaō) his wife as God so loved (ἀγαπάω agapaō) the world (John 3:16).

The wife is to reverence (φοβέω phobeō) her husband as all men are commanded to Fear (φοβέω phobeō) God, and give glory to him (Revelation 14:7).

He still did not specifically instruct wives to love their husbands, though.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It doesn't matter to God if the wife loves the husband, she is subservient to him. The husband is the head. :chuckle:

musterion

The over translation of the word love perhaps. I don't do much with the Greek, being that I don't read, write or speak it. But others do. We know he isn't telling husbands to turn on feelings which is not possible. And he says to love her as Christ loves the church.

Right, but this is about what he did not tell the wives (in this passage, anyway), not what he did tell the husbands.

Out of curiosity I've spent time browsing for opinions online on this question and have come up with zip. It's like it's a question no one has thought to ask. If someone comes up with a link to where it's addressed, feel free to post it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He did not specifically instruct wives to love their husbands.

That goes to the idea that she should giver herself for him. Wrong. That isn't the obedience that the feminist man and woman want. She is not his slave. But the man should slave for his wife and children. If necessary.

genuineoriginal

There are three Greek words that we translate as love.
Philo (brotherly love, non sexual)
Eros (sexual desire, sexual love)
Agape (hospitality love, unselfish love)

The husbands are told to Agape their wives.

This includes providing for them and sacrificing himself for them if needed.