the stoned vs drunk driving study aCW won't like

shagster01

The University of Iowa did the first real comparison study on driving under the influence of alcohol vs. marijuana. The results aren't surprising, at least to those of us who have never bought into the hyperbole.

While driving intoxicated on alcohol, weed, or prescription meds is NEVER the right decision, some are clearly worse than others.

Let's look at the results. . .

How the test was done:

Researchers selected 18 participants—13 men and five women—between the ages of 21 and 37 who reported drinking alcohol and using marijuana no more than three times a week. After spending the night at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics to ensure sobriety, participants arrived at NADS ( National Advanced Driving Simulator) for six “dosing visits.”

First, participants were given 10 minutes to drink a mixed drink with alcohol or plain juice in an alcohol-rimmed glass and topped with alcohol to mimic alcohol taste and odor. The idea was to get the participants blood alcohol level to about .065 percent at the start of the simulated drive.

Next, they were given 10 minutes to inhale a placebo or vaporized cannabis using a vaporizing system designed in Germany called “Volcano Medic ™.”

Once in the simulator—a 1996 Malibu sedan mounted in a 24-feet diameter dome—the drivers were assessed on weaving within the lane, how often the car left the lane, and the speed of the weaving. Drivers with only alcohol in their systems showed impairment in all three areas while those strictly under the influence of vaporized cannabis only demonstrated problems weaving within the lane.

So alcohol made them weave more and faster than marijuana. But what does this mean?

Drivers with blood concentrations of 13.1 ug/L THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana, showed increased weaving that was similar to those with a .08 breath alcohol concentration, the legal limit in most states. The legal limit for THC in Washington and Colorado is 5 ug/L, the same amount other states have considered.

That means that if you are nearly 3 times over the legal limit of THC you will drive similarly to how you would if you were right at the legal limit of alcohol.

You read that right. A high driver drives the same as an average guy that consumed a beer and a half in an hour.

But the worse one is legal in all 50 states? :think:

Again, no level of intoxication is ok when driving. But I'd rather the guy beside me be high than drunk.

The full report here:

http://now.uiowa.edu/2015/06/ui-studies-impact-marijuana-driving

Greg Jennings

Is this even a question? Marijuana makes you cautious and drive slow. Sometimes too slow. But that's about the only way it affects driving. Alcohol is a deadlier drug by far, both in and out of a vehicle

brewmama

They didn't mention anything about reaction times and impaired decision-making, so it doesn't seem very conclusive.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Researchers selected 18 participants—13 men and five women—between the ages of 21 and 37 who reported drinking alcohol and using marijuana no more than three times a week...

Wow, 18 people participated in your pro dope study. Amazing.

While driving intoxicated on alcohol, weed, or prescription meds is NEVER the right decision, some are clearly worse than others.

Being that you're constantly hiiiiigh on dope, what is your mode of transportation:

Chauffer? ("Honey, will you drive me to the pot store so that I can get my daily fix?").

Or this?

2cc9bfd07a8a6d6c7b779b2f499db22b8629897959c54e9c3cae27154eb7034c.jpg

Without a doubt those who abuse alcohol are responsible for many crimes (DUI, etc.), but keep in mind that your beloved dope is still illegal in every US State but two and that fatal car accidents have tripled in a 10 year period because of dope use.

Is Driving While High Dangerous? Fatal Car Accidents Involving Marijuana Triple Over 10 Years

Feb. 4, 2014

Many pot smokers will tell you that driving under the influence of marijuana is actually safer than driving sober, their logic being that pot smokers tend to drive under the speed limit and use their paranoia to focus on the road. But new research is showing a darker side to the popular conviction that driving while stoned is no big deal.

According to a recent study of marijuana use and car accidents, fatal crashes involving people who were stoned have tripled over the last 10 years. The report, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, found that the incidence of car crash victims with pot in their systems jumped from 4.2 percent in 1999 to 12.2 percent in 2010.

"Currently, one of nine drivers involved in fatal crashes would test positive for marijuana," study co-author Dr. Guohua Li, director of the Center for Injury Epidemiology and Prevention at Columbia, told HealthDay. "If this trend continues, in five or six years non-alcohol drugs will overtake alcohol to become the most common substance involved in deaths related to impaired driving."
http://www.ibtimes.com/driving-whil...olving-marijuana-triple-over-10-years-1553319

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Feb. 4, 2014

Many pot smokers will tell you that driving under the influence of marijuana is actually safer than driving sober, their logic being that pot smokers tend to drive under the speed limit and use their paranoia to focus on the road. But new research is showing a darker side to the popular conviction that driving while stoned is no big deal.

According to a recent study of marijuana use and car accidents, fatal crashes involving people who were stoned have tripled over the last 10 years. The report, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, found that the incidence of car crash victims with pot in their systems jumped from 4.2 percent in 1999 to 12.2 percent in 2010.

"Currently, one of nine drivers involved in fatal crashes would test positive for marijuana," study co-author Dr. Guohua Li, director of the Center for Injury Epidemiology and Prevention at Columbia, told HealthDay. "If this trend continues, in five or six years non-alcohol drugs will overtake alcohol to become the most common substance involved in deaths related to impaired driving."
http://www.ibtimes.com/driving-whil...olving-marijuana-triple-over-10-years-1553319

Skewed and false report. Pot stays in the system for 3 or 6 weeks, you could smoke pot once today and never again, but you'd test positive next year.

Nothing will ever surpass alcohol as the most common and most dangerous drug while driving.

shagster01

Being that you're constantly hiiiiigh on dope, what is your mode of transportation:

1. I'm not constantly high, but it's creepy that you are pretending to know such details about my daily habits.

2. Even though I'm not high, I walk to work as it's less than a mile away and I care about health.

Without a doubt those who abuse alcohol are responsible for many crimes (DUI, etc.), but keep in mind that your beloved dope is still illegal in every US State but two and that fatal car accidents have tripled in a 10 year period because of dope use.

Actually it's legal in 4 states (CO, WA, AK, and OR) and in Washington DC too.

I'm a medical user which is legal in 23 states and DC.

Don't blink or you might miss more progression.

Is Driving While High Dangerous? Fatal Car Accidents Involving Marijuana Triple Over 10 Years

I clearly stated twice in the OP that driving while intoxicated on anything should not ever happen.

Feb. 4, 2014

This was not the discussion here.

According to a recent study of marijuana use and car accidents, fatal crashes involving people who were stoned have tripled over the last 10 years.

But the amount who use it regularly have more than tripled, so your figures aren't adding up in your favor.

The report, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, found that the incidence of car crash victims with pot in their systems jumped from 4.2 percent in 1999 to 12.2 percent in 2010.

See above.

That doesn't prove that being stoned caused it. It just proves that more smokers are on the road.

Once you prove the marijuana actually caused the crashes, get back to me.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
1. I'm not constantly high, but it's creepy that you are pretending to know such details about my daily habits.

2. Even though I'm not high, I walk to work as it's less than a mile away and I care about health.

Actually it's legal in 4 states (CO, WA, AK, and OR) and in Washington DC too.

I'm a medical user which is legal in 23 states and DC.

Don't blink or you might miss more progression.

I clearly stated twice in the OP that driving while intoxicated on anything should not ever happen.

This was not the discussion here.
But the amount who use it regularly have more than tripled, so your figures aren't adding up in your favor.

That doesn't prove that being stoned caused it. It just proves that more smokers are on the road.

Once you prove the marijuana actually caused the crashes, get back to me.

Acw blinked about 20 years ago but he forgot to open his eyes back up !