OK Supreme Court: 10 Commandments must come down

PureX

To "advocate" is not at all the same as to "impose".
Doesn't matter. The government cannot be seen as "advocating" for any religion. Whether it's the majority's favorite, or some other. Why is it so difficult for Christians to understand this? Are they especially unintelligent, or something? I mean, everyone else seems to understand the importance of separating church and state. Why can't Christians?

bybee

Doesn't matter. The government cannot be seen as "advocating" for any religion. Whether it's the majority's favorite, or some other. Why is it so difficult for Christians to understand this? Are they especially unintelligent, or something? I mean, everyone else seems to understand the importance of separating church and state. Why can't Christians?

I do understand it and I advocate for it. I simply do not see an engraved stone as breeching that divide. However, if it makes people get their snot in a bundle then, by all means, remove it!
Which means that People with their snot in a bundle rule!

Reactions: Lon

PureX

I do understand it and I advocate for it. I simply do not see an engraved stone as breeching that divide.
I'm betting that if it were a direct quote from the Koran that was engraved in stone and displayed in a public courthouse, insinuating that the laws of this nation are based on Muslim religious ideology, you'd "get it" right away, then. And that you would be quite offended by it because you know this country is not based on Islamic ideology, nor would you appreciate seeing such a lie being monumentalized in stone in a building meant to represent you, and paid for in part, by you.

And recognizing this, you can then perhaps see why those who are offended by Christian attempts to do the same, react by trying to force you into experiencing this 'shoe being on the other foot'.
However, if it makes people get their snot in a bundle then, by all means, remove it!
Which means that People with their snot in a bundle rule!
What it means is that the people who understand and appreciate the necessity for a separation between church and state "rule", instead of a bunch of selfish religious ignoramuses who want to parade their religiosity in public every chance they get, regardless of the laws and principals governing the nation in which they live, and from which they gain, everything.

bybee

I'm betting that if it were a direct quote from the Koran that was engraved in stone and displayed in a public courthouse, insinuating that the laws of this nation are based on Muslim religious ideology, you'd "get it" right away, then. And that you would be quite offended by it because you know this country is not based on Islamic ideology, nor would you appreciate seeing such a lie being monumentalized in stone in a building meant to represent you, and paid for in part, by you.

And recognizing this, you can then perhaps see why those who are offended by Christian attempts to do the same, react by trying to force you into experiencing this 'shoe being on the other foot'.
What it means is that the people who understand and appreciate the necessity for a separation between church and state "rule", instead of a bunch of selfish religious ignoramuses who want to parade their religiosity in public every chance they get, regardless of the laws and principals governing the nation in which they live, and from which they gain, everything.
Symbols have value, that is true. In the polling place there are signs up in 16 different languages. That is symbolic of newbies no longer having to have basic knowledge of what it is to be an American.
And this selfish ignoramus doesn't quite see it the way your high and mighty Eminence sees it.

PureX

Symbols have value, that is true. In the polling place there are signs up in 16 different languages. That is symbolic of newbies no longer having to have basic knowledge of what it is to be an American.
Which has nothing to do with "values", and everything to do with the practical reality of a multi-cultural society. So why are you even bringing it up?
And this selfish ignoramus doesn't quite see it the way your high and mighty Eminence sees it.
That's because you fight against the simple truth of reality far too often, for the sake of your own ego. Stop having to be right all the time, and you'll learn to actually be right a lot more often.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... a multi-cultural society.

a "multi-cultural society" only works if certain values as recognized as advantageous and other values are recognized as detrimental

retards like you can't make the distinction, having scrapped all that has value

rexlunae

What, may I ask, do you see as the harm in a stone engraved with a dictum almost as old as civilization intended to promote peaceful existance amongst people? It is a symbol important to the majority of people in a community with only good intentions involved. It doesn't advocate a given religion or church.
Yet atheists, a minority in the community get to superimpose their strident voices over the majority?

The harm is the expression of official preference for Christian belief over nonbelief or other beliefs. The fact that it appeals to the majority is exactly why it is harmful to the minority.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The question about the depiction of the ten commandments in the Supreme Court Building has long since been settled, I thought. With the judgment being made in favor of them staying, based on the idea that there are other iconic (and secular) depictions of historical wisdom, there; thus nullifying the intent of any state-sponsored favoritism of religion. And that decision that was sensible, reasonable, and agreeable to most people, religious or not.

And I agree that in this particular case, the claim that this depiction of the ten commandments is somehow offensive to atheists, is disingenuous. And should be ignored.

However, in instances where religious groups are trying to place religious monuments on public property, or in public buildings, I agree with the complaints against them, and I do, likewise, find these attempts to be offensive (and I am not an atheist).

So the Supreme Court building is ok but public property is not. I'm not following you. Are 10 Commandments ok or not? Are they offensive to atheists or not?

bybee

The harm is the expression of official preference for Christian belief over nonbelief or other beliefs. The fact that it appeals to the majority is exactly why it is harmful to the minority.

Perhaps then, we should all be allowed to choose which side of the road we want to drive on?
As I have stated, The placing of a particular statement in a public space is not something being forced on anyone. It seems a minor issue compared to the very real issues with which our society must contend.
The idea of making every space neutral so as not to offend anyone is just offensive.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nope. I'm assuming you're familiar with the legal concept of the "reasonable observer". The monument was just there, by itself, with no surrounding context, which means a reasonable observer would perceive it as a religious monument, rather than something to do with US history.
In front of a church I'd tend to agree. But on public land? Not so much. Also, which religion? There are two entwined here. Now the easiest way to clear up any potential ambiguity would be a plaque setting out the nature of the recognition.

THIS ARTICLE[/URL] pretty much sums it up.
I'll give it a look. Again, not every claim is an equal one and it will depend on the actual litmus. If the Ten Commandments is historical recognition the Satanists won't have a leg to stand on.

I don't follow you at all here. You seem to be arguing that if, in erecting religious monuments the government has to be inclusive of other religions, then when it erects monuments to people it is therefore mandated to erect monuments to everyone.

If that's what you're saying, I have a hard time seeing that as even worth considering.
No, the quoted paragraph was simply a discussion of monuments and what they tend to recognize. At least that was the part you quoted before your response.

Well, I suppose if you want to hold out for the legal climate to change to where the government will be allowed to promote and endorse Christianity while excluding all other religions....knock yourself out. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
You can keep misrepresenting my part of go after establishing the reasonableness of your own. Rather, I don't think recognition is promoting, except in a thing sense that any recognition could be called that and we recognize individuals and groups all the time for extraordinary contributions to the compact.

Ok, so when you said, "I noted it wouldn't work to advance and wasn't in this instance advancing a religion", what exactly is the difference between advancing a religion and advancing a religious viewpoint?
A "religious viewpoint" is only a perspective. A religion is a context. Anyone can have a viewpoint. I can have a view of politics without endorsing or investing in it.

I wrote: "And my response would be that erecting a tomb for the U.S. Grant doesn't entitle every officer to the same recognition, though some may have it conferred."
See above. Too ridiculous to bother with.
That's what I'd write if I a) didn't have a counter or b) didn't understand what I was attempting to counter. But it remains true that a monument erected to an individual or a group doesn't establish the same claim by any other. And so, a case by case examination of the point and the merit.

Exactly. Government erecting a monument to Christianity while excluding all others confers preferential status to Christianity and relegates the other faiths to second-class status. That's illegal.

Here's what actually happened. You asked what would constitute preferential treatment of a class. I answered: "Something that carries a discernible advantage, like opportunity for employment, advancement or the like. At best you could argue status, but I don't know that any monument ever did more that reflect a status."

No one has a right to a statue or recognition and giving recognition isn't excluding anyone. Now if the litmus was a "Christian's only need apply" you'd have a point, instead of a repetition/declaration of the same toothless assertion you've parroted prior.

Well what else do you think it says when the government erects monuments to Christianity in public spaces, while excluding all others? If that's not "Christianity only in our public spaces", what is
?
Same answer. Recognizing Grant isn't "excluding" all other officers who served ably in the Civil War. Excluding is something different.

Here, educate yourself:
Sorry, but my education isn't in question, while your ability to meet a rational rebuttal, at this point, is another thing altogether. So unless you actually want to argue that we don't and can't know the world isn't flat or that barium doesn't exist the point is made and you're simply being a poor sport. Science can tell us a great deal. It simply can't tell us everything.

Now wait a second. When I noted that my side of this issue has been consistently winning in court, you brought up previous court rulings regarding slavery when you responded "Why did Courts once rule people were property?". So you first brought up the "legal opinions change" concept in the context of slavery.

Yet when I flip that around and adopt the same line of reasoning and apply it to the other side of the slavery issue, suddenly it's "a different animal".
Rather, I've said prior that there are things fundamental to the compact that are only altered with an enormous effort and there are considerations that aren't as integral to the stability of the compact.

For instance, when some were opining that homosexual marriage would lead to NAMBLA victories at some point I responded that much of our law is predicated on contract and contract rests, in large part, on capacity and the ability to give informed consent, that to attempt to advance NAMBLA would be to threaten that foundational truth upon which so much of the law rests, making it all but impossible to achieve absent the sort of upheaval that would make other worries moot.

Trying to have it both ways, eh?
No, you're just not paying attention.

bybee

Which has nothing to do with "values", and everything to do with the practical reality of a multi-cultural society. So why are you even bringing it up?
That's because you fight against the simple truth of reality far too often, for the sake of your own ego. Stop having to be right all the time, and you'll learn to actually be right a lot more often.

I disagree.

rexlunae

Perhaps then, we should all be allowed to choose which side of the road we want to drive on?
As I have stated, The placing of a particular statement in a public space is not something being forced on anyone. It seems a minor issue compared to the very real issues with which our society must contend.
The idea of making every space neutral so as not to offend anyone is just offensive.

Then you should have no objection to what humanists, atheists, and secularists place on public grounds. Right? Or is this a majority-rules sort of thing for you?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think you're selling short the legacy of secularism in this country.
I don't see why you think that's so.

While it may be true that most of the people who have lived in the United States since its founding have been Christians, it's also true that at its founding, those people, many still Christians, decided that religion shouldn't be a public affair.
First, to straighten the narrative a bit it's unquestionably and overwhelmingly true that the nation was founded and defended by Christians to the near exclusion of all others, those others constituting, for generations, a wafer thin percentage of the remaining. And those Christians, descendants of the 30 Years War and more immediate persecution rooted in empowered religion made a wise choice to give individual conscience its head and to restrict the integration of church and state to the individual level.

The purpose of placing monuments like this at state buildings is not to recall the history or honor the memory of the fallen, but to preserve the primacy of Christian doctrine in the nation's political discourse. And it is anathema to the separation of church and state.
Two responses. First, I think the point is to honor and there's no inherent harm in it. Secondly, a monument never did more than reflect a thing. It cannot and will not empower or deny any existing group and will not and has not voided a single right.

Are we really to the point where those minorities enjoying the full fruits of personal liberty are fearful of even the public recognition of the majority in this particular? If so I think the wrong lesson was learned by the secularization.

The monument is an attack on secularists, both religious and not, humanists, and atheists. If you can't see that, you're truly blind.
Where I'd say if you honestly believe that you're simply mistaken in a way that our forefathers never were. They had some fairly strong religious differences among them, but none felt that secularization required anything like the fearful response to a monument on public land, many of which were erected by those very men.

Whereas I would say that the Commandments are foolish from the top on down.
I don't believe you. I don't believe for a moment you find the prohibition against murder foolish, or against theft or false witness. Adultery seem like a good idea? So your rhetoric has, at its root, a not dissimilar problem evidenced in the general objection, an overly broad approach and want of particular consideration.

But the nice thing about living in a secular country is that if you like the Commandments, you're free to venerate them all you want (although it is a little strange to have a prohibition against graven images on a stone tablet with religious and political icons on it, and which itself could be viewed as one), and if you don't like them, you don't have to pay them any mind.
But a monument you can't ignore. :rolleyes:

The conflict originates in the insistence of some Christians upon using the government to declare the preeminence of their religion in the public life of the nation.
The thing is, if you could declare a thing into power TOL would long ago have become uniformly one thing on the strength of the prevailing winds. And if it can't be established in an internet forum with a one-sided distribution of power...

Stop that hostility, and there won't be a need for any mocking cobbled-together responses.
Or maybe people could stop creating a hostility that not only isn't evidenced in our compact, but given the protections and freedoms afforded even some of the broadly decried participants, maybe we could all relax a bit and let a reasonable, case by case examination of a thing be our approach. Set a plaque to constrain the notice if you're honestly worried that the people who have gone out of their way to ensure your personal liberty have suddenly decided to undermine it, against the tide of law and every other serious indicator.

It's not irrational to respond when attacked.
It's irrational to believe you're being attacked because you suspect a thing or the motivation of the people behind it.

It is, after all, minority groups that have to fight for representation and voice
Rather, they have the ability to voice their complaints and stand equal before the law precisely and singularly because the majority they now suspect to the point of irrational overreach or whom they dislike in their difference sufficiently to use the claim to attempt to constrain as much as and wherever possible have set that as their birthright.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
And those Christians, descendants of the 30 Years War...

which ended in 1648 (139 years before the creation of the US constitution) and was primarily a continuation of the franco/german struggle for dominance over western and central Europe, which continued through the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries and still exists today, if at a cooler level than of late

Last edited:

bybee

Then you should have no objection to what humanists, atheists, and secularists place on public grounds. Right? Or is this a majority-rules sort of thing for you?

Well sure enough! I suppose atheists could put up a plaque saying "Hurray for Nothing!"?
And humanists, "Hurray for Me!"?
And secularists have already won.
If your tender sensibilities are threatened by a list of the Ten Commandments I wonder how you are managing to get on in this life?

PureX

So the Supreme Court building is ok but public property is not. I'm not following you. Are 10 Commandments ok or not? Are they offensive to atheists or not?
The U.S. Supreme Court Building displays a series of images depicting icons of classic wisdom from both religious and non-religious traditions. As such, when adjudicated, the court determined that this display could not be construed to be promoting religion, or any particular religious tradition, because the display included non-religious icons in the series. In other words, the 10 commandment icon was one in a series that together was depicting classical wisdom; not promoting religion in general, nor any religion specifically. So it was not violating the letter nor the spirit of the constitutional prohibition of any state endorsed religion.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The U.S. Supreme Court Building displays a series of images depicting icons of classic wisdom from both religious and non-religious traditions. As such, when adjudicated, the court determined that this display could not be construed to be promoting religion, or any particular religious tradition, because the display included non-religious icons in the series. In other words, the 10 commandment icon was one in a series that together was depicting classical wisdom; not promoting religion in general, nor any religion specifically. So it was not violating the letter nor the spirit of the constitutional prohibition of any state endorsed religion.
Looked at another way, it's about context. A monument containing the Ten Commandments isn't inherently problematic.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Perhaps our conservative friends would care to provide examples of nations that didn't follow America's example and established a official state-religion - that didn't experience strife and turmoil.