User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who do you THINK will win Battle Royale IV?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • JALTUS

33 89.19%
  • s9s27s54

4 10.81%
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: BATTLE TALK ~ Battle Royale IV - JALTUS vs. s9s27s54

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That definition of "standard" wouldn't fit in with "Standard American English."
    How about the defintion for "Standard English" in the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Ed.?

"The variety of English that is generally acknowledged as the model for the speech and writing of educated speakers."

On the usage note, it says:

"Sometimes it is used to denote the variety of English prescribed by traditional prescriptive norms, and in this sense it includes rules and usages that many educated speakers don't systematically conform to in their speech or writing, such as the rules for use of who and whom."
    In other words, it's prescriptive, not descriptive.

It also says:

"Standard English in this sense shouldn't be regarded as being necessarily correct or unexceptionable, since it will include many kinds of language that could be faulted on various grounds, [. . .] Thus while the term can serve a useful descriptive purpose providing the context makes its meaning clear, it shouldn't be construed as conferring any absolute positive evaluation."

This isn't the not-wrong thread for this discussion.
    Dr. Deutsch
    Praecipitatum verius quam editum "Thrown together rather than edited."
    -Erasmus describing his Textus Receptus (the MS the KJV/NKJV is translated from)

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ginger
    I do believe we still need the 5 fold ministry. I never said otherwise.

The problem I have is when the words of men are added to the scripture and their words made into doctrine. Their words are not the inspired words of God. This is why there is division, and will only distance us from the unity of the faith. The only way we will ever attain to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ is if we renew our selves in His Words.

Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
    The only way men can AVOID adding their own words to scripture is to simply read them with NO comment. I can READ for myself.

Surely Jesus did not establish these offices in order for men to simply RECITE the scriptures?

In all fairness, I understand the concern to AVOID adding unscriptural ideas and philosophies to God's Word. I have the same concern. But teachers and preachers and even people on this forum serve a valuable purpose. We provoke each other to study and compare one another's ideas against the Word of God. Just because someone gives us their interpretation of the scripture, we should not accept it at face value. As we study God's Word, God's Spirit will show us whether those ideas are true or false.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by drdeutsch
    This isn't the not-wrong thread for this discussion.
    Dr. Deutsch
    I don't disagree with you.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Redeemed,

I see that you do agree with me.

Wielder of the Flame of Arnor
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking 1 for Dr. Deutsch 0 for Jaltus

Well for those who don't know, my good friend Jaltus is what one might call the "Gramamr Nazi". Among his favorite no-no's that are sure to get his hackles up are:
    - anyways
    - anywho
    -ain't

For the last three years I have always been able to get him riled with this. But Although he may be able to translate around me 6 ways from Sunday in Greek, lets adjurn to the Old Testament and the fun begins.

But as I was saying Dr. Deutsch is correct about Prescriptive vs. Descriptive language. Although according to the old addage "ain't ain't word", it is internally self contradictory for the very usage of ain't as a form of negation demonstrates that ain't communicates as a morpheme and thus satisfies all the qualifactions of a word,

So If it walks like a word, talks like a word, sounds like a word, its probably a word.

Over 500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point about the double negative is that it is improper because, at least in written form, it negates itself.

Therefore, not hardly means exactly! That is not what the person is trying to communicate, and therefore the meaning is changed because they used an improper method of forming a sentence.

The question is, does sentence formation carry meaning or not?

Good to see you, GP. Plan on commenting on the BR or just here to annoy me, hehe?
    For Greek conversion, click here.
    <opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily those of TOL or the TOL Holding Company, and are in fact probably either wrong or dangerous or something even worse. In the event of a world-wide catastrophe coming from one of these posts, all we can say is we did not do it and we warned you not to listen to this post, but NOOOOO, you knew what you were doing all along and yet you STILL managed to destroy part of a continent and yet missed Hollywood! Any resemblance to mathematicians dead or alive is strictly on purpose.>

Wielder of the Flame of Arnor
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation G.A. Ripplinger a fraud!

S9 come on she got her doctorate in home.ec. Which is not bad, but she tried to pass herself off as a man and as PhD in Biblical studies, so right fromt the start she is being dishonest about herself. James White wrote an excellant little book about all of her factual errors. She makes constant unsubstantiated claims, ad hominem attacks and whole mess of other things.

So "New Age Bible Versions" is the worst book to use to substantiate your arguments. Don't use a fraudualant book to substantiate an already flawed argument.

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bibles

Anyone, what is the oldest Bible in English, please?

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bibles

Originally posted by Hisown
    Anyone, what is the oldest Bible in English, please?
    My Word shall not come back to me empty.

Over 500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyndale, I believe. Could be wrong.
    <opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily those of TOL or the TOL Holding Company, and are in fact probably either wrong or dangerous or something even worse. In the event of a world-wide catastrophe coming from one of these posts, all we can say is we did not do it and we warned you not to listen to this post, but NOOOOO, you knew what you were doing all along and yet you STILL managed to destroy part of a continent and yet missed Hollywood! Any resemblance to mathematicians dead or alive is strictly on purpose.>

Over 1500 post club themuzicman's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either s9 is SERIOUSLY sandbagging, going completely off topic and giving Jaultus the initiative, in spite of going first; or he's in WAY over his head, and will probably not even agree with his original assertion when this debate is finished.

Don't let up, Jaltus.
    I don't care how systematic your theology is, until you show me how biblical it is.

2 Tim 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

Over 500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earliest English Bible is the Wyclif Bible of 1388 (second edition, I cannot find a date for the first edition).

Yxboom
    Hello!!!

Is the debate regarding divine inspiration of the KJB or divine preservation via KJB? The BR seems to imply the former which is just totally ludicrous. Than again. It may be accurate.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my gosh.....

This might be bad. Did you see S9's post #2?

Although sometimes watching a train wreck is mesmerizing.
    Oh, wise guy eh?

Yxboom
    Originally posted by novice
    Oh my gosh.....

This might be bad. Did you see S9's post #2?

Although sometimes watching a train wreck is mesmerizing.
    Ditto!

Thread Information