Atheist-Atheos

Truster

Those letters were written in ancient Greek, the language from which the term "atheist" derives, admittedly. This is true. But that does not mean that the translation is as correct as you may assume. As religious scripture is never interpreted without a bias. And the nuanced meaning of words in their given language are lost when translated for people who do not actively speak in that language.

For example, I am fascinated by the ancient Greek term "logos", because in it's own language, it refers to a whole philosophical ethos that was unique to ancient Greek culture which I find amazing. And yet I have never managed to explain it clearly to anyone in my own language and culture even though I believe I do have a pretty clear grasp of what the ancient Greeks meant by that term.

Yet do I really understand it as they did? I mean, I think I do, but in the end I am not an ancient Greek. And I cannot go to ancient Greece and ask them if my understanding of that term, and of the philosophy that surrounds it is actually what they thought and felt about existence, God, and reality. So I can't really be certain that my grasp of the term is true, even if it is insightful, and appears to me to be relatively accurate.

The truth is that I could simply be substituting my own bias for what I believe they meant by that term. It's just impossible for me to know, for sure.

I have two particular enjoyments etymology and exegeses and I can assure you that what I have written is correct.

gcthomas

I have two particular enjoyments etymology and exegeses and I can assure you that what I have written is correct.

Etymology does not defined a word's meaning in English, but usage does. It seems that Paul's usage of a foreign word is unlikely to exactly match the modern English word atheist.

Sadly, given your posts to date, your unevidenced assurances won't cut the mustard.

Truster

Touché

I likewise despise religion and anything considered holy. I didn't asked to be damned and I can care less if I'm damned, but on some undisclosed future date and time....I'll secure my destiny.

Seems reasonable to me.

You can't secure your destiny.

alwight

The term atheist was used by Paul in one of his epistles. It is used once in scripture and is correctly interpreted into English. Anyone who is conversant with the scriptures would know and recognise this.
Modern usage of English words has often changed at least from the time of the KJV Bible. In modern English a "theist" is someone who believes in at least one god, but the word "atheist" only exists at all because of "theist" and it refers to someone who is not a believer in any gods, a non-theist is all it means today. If there were no theists then there would be no atheists.
Some Christians will claim that an atheist is someone who hates God, but someone who hates God can only be a theist not an atheist.
Only a theist can logically hate God.
It makes no rational sense to hate a God not believed to exist.

I am an atheist and an agnostic, I simply don't know if any gods exist, though I doubt any do, and I really don't care what some guy called Paul said about it or in worrying about whether the transcribing of ancient Greek has any actual accuracy in this case to modern English.

It's my understanding and usage of the modern English that matters to me, not what someone chooses to interpret from ancient scripture where the word "atheist" never featured and was never used.

gcthomas

You were a moron on the BBC religious board and an even bigger one here Truster, perhaps someone will kindly quote me here? ;)
He is either pretending to have you on ignore, or he will peek at all the hidden posts. That is his type.

badp

An atheist is a person who doesn't believe in anything he doesn't want to believe in, especially science.

Hedshaker

No, the English word atheist is only five centuries old, so unless the Bible is a recent fake and written in English, Paul couldn't have used it.

He used a different word with different meanings and connotations and societal inferences. It isn't rocket science. Translations are never exact.

Trouble is, like anyone who presents sound reason and logic, you are automatically put on his ignore list. He didn't even give you chance to reply to his post, such has is his pathetic fear of your reasoning.

And worst of all he's a Brit, How disgusting is that?

Hedshaker

You were a moron on the BBC religious board and an even bigger one here Truster, perhaps someone will kindly quote me here? ;)

Modern usage of English words has often changed at least from the time of the KJV Bible. In modern English a "theist" is someone who believes in at least one god, but the word "atheist" only exists at all because of "theist" and it refers to someone who is not a believer in any gods, a non-theist is all it means today. If there were no theists then there would be no atheists.
Some Christians will claim that an atheist is someone who hates God, but someone who hates God can only be a theist not an atheist.
Only a theist can logically hate God.
It makes no rational sense to hate a God not believed to exist.

I am an atheist and an agnostic, I simply don't know if any gods exist, though I doubt any do, and I really don't care what some guy called Paul said about it or in worrying about whether the transcribing of ancient Greek has any actual accuracy in this case to modern English.

It's my understanding and usage of the modern English that matters to me, not what someone chooses to interpret from ancient scripture where the word "atheist" never featured and was never used.

But I suspect I am also on his ignore list as is anyone that has the gall to disagree with him.

Hedshaker

An atheist is a person who doesn't believe in anything he doesn't want to believe in, especially science.

What are you talking about? Science isn't even in the same universe as your nonsense!

Lets start with the scientific theory of talking snakes.......

badp

What are you talking about? Science isn't even in the same universe as your nonsense!

Lets start with the scientific theory of talking snakes.......

Oh, I forgot. Real science is coming up with nonsense theories about parallel universes and time travel, and convincing the government to give you millions in grant money to "study" it.

My bad.

Hedshaker

Oh, I forgot. Real science is coming up with nonsense theories about parallel universes and time travel, and convincing the government to give you millions in grant money to "study" it.

My bad.

Don't take it personal. Scientists say the world is made of Protons Neutrons and Electrons.

They forgot to mention Morons :think:

Truster

Don't take it personal. Scientists say the world is made of Protons Neutrons and Electrons.

They forgot to mention Morons :think:

A verse of Paul's when at Athens, ''in whom we live and stir and be'' sent me into a study in subatomic particles and quantum physics. All very, very interesting, but science has its limits and of course it's morons.