ECT Believers need to be repenting to keep their salvation!

ZacharyB

This is a follow-up to the thread, "The historical false teaching about the sins of a believer"

I find it interesting that the NT focuses much more on warning believers about the eternal
consequences of sinning … than it does about the eternal consequences of not repenting!
To repent means to be truly sorry for having committed sins
… and to be really serious about not doing them in the future!

It all starts here: “John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, and saying,
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand! … Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance,
… every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire (see John 15).
... He (Jesus) will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn;
but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” (Matthew 3:1-12)

Jesus warned: “… unless you repent you will all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:3 and 13:5)
“For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” (Matthew 9:13)
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (Matthew 4:17)

People will have to repent to get into the kingdom of God/heaven and heaven(*).

But, this is NOT a one-time repentance! … What’s the point of repenting once,
and then going back to commit more sins? … That is totally ridiculous!

Paul was always warning believers in the churches that …
Habitual unrepentant sinners could not inherit/enter the kingdom of God …
1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21, Ephesians 5:3-6, Colossians 3:5-6, Revelation 21:7-8.
And he kept warning believers what they already knew: sin results in eternal death!

Warnings to believers in the churches: Repentance is necessary for salvation!

"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness,
but is longsuffering toward US, not willing that any (of US) should perish
but that all (of US) should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)

Is that little word “us” a misprint? … Is Peter really writing to believers?
Yes, he is … believers need to be confessing/repenting of their sins.

“For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it.
For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while.
… not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance.
For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing.
For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted;
but the sorrow of the world produces death.” (2 Corinthians 7:8-10)

“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift,
and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and
the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance,
since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for
those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; but if it bears thorns and briers,
it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned. (Hebrews 6:4-8)

“Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing
up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; lest there be any fornicator or profane
person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. For you know that afterward,
when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance,
though he sought it diligently with tears.” (Hebrews 12:14-17)

“I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead.
Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die,
for I have not found your works perfect before God. Remember therefore how
you have received and heard; hold fast and repent. Therefore if you will not watch,
I will come upon you as a thief, and you will not know what hour I will come upon you.
You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments;
and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy.” (Revelation 3:1-4)

There were some worthy ones who had perfect works, and who didn’t sin (defile their garments).

“So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out
of My mouth … do you not know that you are (spiritually) wretched, miserable,
poor, blind, and naked ... As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.
Therefore be zealous and repent.” (Revelation 3:16-19)

The solution for believers …
“If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness (sins), we lie and do
not practice the truth. But IF we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship
with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
IF we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us
from all unrighteousness
. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar,
and His word is not in us. My little children, these things I write to you, so that
you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father,
Jesus Christ the righteous.” (1 John 1:6--2:1)

(*) “many will … sit down with Abraham-Isaac-Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 8:11)
Both wheat and tares are in the kingdom of God, but only the wheat gets to go to heaven.

Last edited:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The scripture says repent not keep on repenting. How many of your sins did Jesus die for?

andyc

Repentance is an attitude of the heart.

Therefore a Christian should always have an attitude of change. Someone without a repentant heart isn't saved.

Truster

More cut and paste scripture from someone who hasn't got a clue as to what the term repentance actually means.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Therefore a Christian should always have an attitude of change. Someone without a repentant heart isn't saved.

And andy shows he is still a worker bee, despite his claim a few weeks ago. The cross is foolishness to him. He didn't die so you could turn over a new leaf.

genuineoriginal

More cut and paste scripture from someone who hasn't got a clue as to what the term repentance actually means.

Maybe we should find out what repentance means from the perspective of the people at the time the New Testament was written.

_____
Metanoia, a transliteration of the Greek μετάνοια, is usually translated as repentance, for example in The King James Version of the Bible, and the verbal cognate metanoeo/μετανοέω is translated to repent. Translating metanoia as repentance has been deemed "an utter mistranslation."
. . .

In 2006, an ecumenical group of scholars published a study of repentance in the Bible and the Church. After "a thorough examination of Hellenistic Jewish writings," the study found that for Jews living at the time of Jesus, "repentance" meant "a fundamental change in thinking and living." For the New Testament, this change is a necessary ingredient in accomplishing God’s plan for salvation and community for everyone.
Robertson lamented the fact that in his time there was no English word that signified the meaning of the Greek μετάνοια (metanoia). Merriam-Webster has remedied this deficiency by transliterating the Greek μετάνοια into metanoia and borrowing it as an English word with a definition that matches the Greek: "a transformative change of heart; especially: a spiritual conversion," augmented by an explanation of metanoia’s Greek source: "from metanoiein to change one's mind, repent, from meta- + noein to think, from nous mind."
_____​

Truster

Maybe we should find out what repentance means from the perspective of the people at the time the New Testament was written.

_____
Metanoia, a transliteration of the Greek μετάνοια, is usually translated as repentance, for example in The King James Version of the Bible, and the verbal cognate metanoeo/μετανοέω is translated to repent. Translating metanoia as repentance has been deemed "an utter mistranslation."
. . .

In 2006, an ecumenical group of scholars published a study of repentance in the Bible and the Church. After "a thorough examination of Hellenistic Jewish writings," the study found that for Jews living at the time of Jesus, "repentance" meant "a fundamental change in thinking and living." For the New Testament, this change is a necessary ingredient in accomplishing God’s plan for salvation and community for everyone.
Robertson lamented the fact that in his time there was no English word that signified the meaning of the Greek μετάνοια (metanoia). Merriam-Webster has remedied this deficiency by transliterating the Greek μετάνοια into metanoia and borrowing it as an English word with a definition that matches the Greek: "a transformative change of heart; especially: a spiritual conversion," augmented by an explanation of metanoia’s Greek source: "from metanoiein to change one's mind, repent, from meta- + noein to think, from nous mind."
_____​

OK so you can cut and paste as well.

DAN P

Hi and to REPENT /METENOEO is a Transliterated word and can be translated by the following :

#1 , to precieve afterwards

#2 , Implying a change

#3 , Change the mind

#4 , Change one's purpose

#5 , And admenment

Dead men are as 1 Cor 2:14 says , and are dead to the scriptures !!

The only verse that I remember is , That godly sorrow worketh repentance , but that is when a person is a believer !!

Repentance is almost always found in the Gospels and is called WORKS in Acts 26:20 and always connected to Water Baptism in Matt 3: 2 , 8 and Acts 19:4 !!

dan p

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Anyone who reads that long fanged op is an idiot. Come on man, who's going to read your long drawn out dribble

DAN P

ZacharyB;4538am-Isaac-Jacob in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 8:11)[/COLOR said:
[/B]
Both wheat and tares are in the kingdom of God, but only the wheat gets to go to heaven.[/FONT]

Hi and just where is yjis verse where the WHEAT get to go to heaven found ??

dan p

heir

TOL Subscriber
Please bear with me, I'm just getting used to this forum. I want to say that it is reasonable to take Jesus literally at what he said---praying DAILY that our heavenly Father "forgive us our trespasses." (Matt.6:9,10) We sin every day, and we ask God to forgive us. That is basically the same as "repenting" of whatever sin we committed.
Hi KRose, 2000 years ago God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, not imputing our trespasses unto us (2 Corinthians 5:19 KJV). Paul writes that the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Romans 1:16 KJV). All trespasses were forgiven then whether or not you believe it (Romans 3:3 KJV, Colossians 2:13 KJV), but in order for Christ's work to be put to your account, you must believe it (Romans 3:21-22 KJV, Romans 4:24-25 KJV).

beloved57

Believers need to be repenting to keep their salvation

Strange religion, Scriptural Salvation, those Christ died for are Saved and Eternally Secure by His Death even while they are enemies, and unrepentant unbelievers Rom 5:10 !

heir

TOL Subscriber
It would be nice if you gave some comment about the scripture you cite, heir.
Check my last post to you as I already did.

Believers are told there that God has forgiven them of their trespasses. UP TO THAT POINT. In verse 6 believers are admonished to "go on walking in union with Christ Jesus." Why would Paul urge them to "go on" if there wasn't the chance that they might STOP?
Up to that point? How many of our sins were in the future when Christ died for them and forgave them? I'll tell you how many. It's just as Colossians 2:13 KJV says: ALL!
Indeed, in verse 8 Paul speaks of the possibility of believers being carried off as prey through the philosophy and empty deception of men.
Colossians 2:10 KJV
Believers must always be alert to the snares of the Devil and take their stand against him.

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." (Ephesians 6:10,11, KJV)

Then he explains what the "armour" is and how it will protect us. Why would we need protection if our salvation was a done deal? Why would we need to even think about the wiles of the devil if we were all set?
First of all, Ephesians 6 tells us why: stand, stand, stand!

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Ephesians 6:13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

As this is going on:

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

courtesy of these

2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

2 Corinthians 11:15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

as the ministry of iniquity doth already work!

2 Thessalonians 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Then he explains what the "armour" is and how it will protect us. Why would we need protection if our salvation was a done deal?
As to our salvation, those of us who have trusted the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth, the gospel of our salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) have a Holy Spirit of promise seal which is a guarantee of our inheritance. That promise and guarantee seal is until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory! It is a done deal!!!!

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
As to our salvation, those of us who have trusted the Lord after hearing and believing the word of truth, the gospel of our salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) have a Holy Spirit of promise seal which is a guarantee of our inheritance. That promise and guarantee seal is until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His glory! It is a done deal!!!!

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Amen

journey

Another Amen! It's very sad that some labor under such confusion.

andyc

Hi and to REPENT /METENOEO is a Transliterated word and can be translated by the following :

#1 , to precieve afterwards

#2 , Implying a change

#3 , Change the mind

#4 , Change one's purpose

#5 , And admenment

Dead men are as 1 Cor 2:14 says , and are dead to the scriptures !!

The only verse that I remember is , That godly sorrow worketh repentance , but that is when a person is a believer !!

Repentance is almost always found in the Gospels and is called WORKS in Acts 26:20 and always connected to Water Baptism in Matt 3: 2 , 8 and Acts 19:4 !!

dan p

When a person understands that a specific act is morally wrong, they will desire not to commit that act. This is a change of heart concerning sin - repentance.