Is another US civil war possible?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What would another civil war look like?

In the Civil War several states seceded. That seems unlikely now. I'm trying to read a bit about secession. Found this Supreme Court case.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/74/700

6. When Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States. There was no place for reconsideration or revocation, except through revolution or through consent of the States.

The Supreme Court rejected a constitutional right to secede. But then says that a state could leave the Union through revolution or consent from the other states.

What would that look like? It's hard to believe other states would consent. It's interesting that there have been so many attempts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_in_the_United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

Which would leave revolution as the only option. I don't see any entire state doing it. It would have to start with a group within one or more states. What chance would a group trying to break off stand?

What got me thinking about all this is the topic of abortion. Abortion is such a hot topic but I can't recall ever hearing someone propose secession or civil war to stop it. I would expect that someone who thinks abortion is murder would also say it's worse than slavery. If that person thinks the Civil War was justified, what about a civil war about abortion? Would they take up arms in an attempt to form an abortion free state?

The Berean

kmo, do you really expect the Starbucks, Chipotle, Instagram, I need a "safe zone" at college, Millenial crowd to take up arms, fight, and die in battle? That's way beyond micro-aggression!:rotfl:

:p

Troianis-Mahones-Counterattack-.jpg

Quetzal

I find it highly unlikely. Despite how many temper tantrums are thrown on this forum or Facebook, there are many benefits to being a part of this country that the seceding states risk losing. For many, it isn't worth the risk.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I find it highly unlikely. Despite how many temper tantrums are thrown on this forum or Facebook, there are many benefits to being a part of this country that the seceding states risk losing. For many, it isn't worth the risk.

Would have to choose an area wisely. :think:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:think: For any "Civil War" or succession to last more than 30 seconds it would have to start with the legislative bodies of the respective states and be fully backed by the states Governors. Without this framework the Feds would simply scream "domestic terrorism" and crush any force which aligns against them.

This being the case what do you think the chances of another one happening are? :juggle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:think: For any "Civil War" or succession to last more than 30 seconds it would have to start with the legislative bodies of the respective states and be fully backed by the states Governors. Without this framework the Feds would simply scream "domestic terrorism" and crush any force which aligns against them.

This being the case what do you think the chances of another one happening are? :juggle:

Very low. I don't see any group getting the backing of their state.

bybee

Do you think any could work?

What would you insurrect for?

Eventually it works There were many underground resistance movements against the Nazi's.
As old as I am if Sharia Law were implemented, for instance, I would join an underground movement to fight against it.
Let us pray this does not happen.

Nazaroo

Hopefully it would quickly spread along "racial" lines,
and end just as quickly in a new Christian government.

With no liberals left alive.