Ghosties

The 5 solas

Well, I never assume anything. It's dangerous to not have a certain amount of skepticism when considering such things.

I know enough to know never to be 'comfortable'.

I would love to flesh your thoughts out on this a bit more.
What of angels and demons then. Can our dialogue bring them into consideration too? I would love to know other's thoughts that too.

Big Dave

I don't watch any of those shows :chuckle:

Most are pure sensationalism. On "Ghost Adventures", they not only ALWAYS capture EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomenon), but they are ALWAYS crystal-clear quality.

No.

Most Paranormal Researchers ("ghost busters") only catch the occasional EVP, and when they do, instead of it being crystal-clear voices, it's muffled sounds. Even an EVP that sounds like a person muttering something under their breath is considered a "good EVP".

Either the "Ghost Adventures" crew is just so well liked in the spirit community that they receive the "best the ghosts have to offer", or it's malarkey.

Thunder's Muse

I would love to flesh your thoughts out on this a bit more.

I'd love to, although I may keep some things to myself.

What of angels and demons then. Can our dialogue bring them into consideration too?

I've studied Angels for a few years now. As for demons, I've encountered them once or twice in a more personal way.

This isn't just an interest, it's something I've experienced my whole life, even as a child.

Thunder's Muse

Most are pure sensationalism. On "Ghost Adventures", they not only ALWAYS capture EVP's (Electronic Voice Phenomenon), but they are ALWAYS crystal-clear quality.

No.

Most Paranormal Researchers ("ghost busters") only catch the occasional EVP, and when they do, instead of it being crystal-clear voices, it's muffled sounds. Even an EVP that sounds like a person muttering something under their breath is considered a "good EVP".

Either the "Ghost Adventures" crew is just so well liked in the spirit community that they receive the "best the ghosts have to offer", or it's malarkey.

I love a good EVP, although I agree with you that they are a rare phenomenon.

The 5 solas

I'd love to, although I may keep some things to myself.

I've studied Angels for a few years now. As for demons, I've encountered them once or twice in a more personal way.

This isn't just an interest, it's something I've experienced my whole life, even as a child.

As a Christian, I believe in the spirit realm which includes angels and demons. I have not had any personal experiences with them directly, to my knowledge, but I personally know of a few solid believers who have.

I think that often, our knee jerk reaction to such things is to brush it off as delusions or foolishness, rather than to consider angels and demons as a possibility...mainly because we are not comfortable with the idea of spiritual warfare or the presence of it in our lives. This is not dabbling in the occult or witchcraft, but recognizing that Eph 6:12, "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

Thunder's Muse

As a Christian, I believe in the spirit realm which includes angels and demons. I have not had any personal experiences with them directly, to my knowledge, but I personally know of a few solid believers who have.

I think that often, our knee jerk reaction to such things is to brush it off as delusions or foolishness, rather than to consider angels and demons as a possibility...mainly because we are not comfortable with the idea of spiritual warfare or the presence of it in our lives. This is not dabbling in the occult or witchcraft, but recognizing that Eph 6:12, "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places."

Some things are just our imaginations playing tricks on us and it's important not to write everything off as a spiritual encounter. However, the spirit world is HUGE and have more influence than we sometimes realise.

Doormat

I had an out of body experience as a child. I remember floating around the house and seeing everyone sleep.

Interesting. My friends who've done it tell me they like to fly during their OBEs. I've never had the experience, but I am very interested in having it (God willing).

In the future, I hope to induce an out of body experience. From what I've read, I should be able to go to Turkey (in the OBE) and play drums with some players I admire, all while laying in my bed. Hopefully, the experience will live up to my expectations. :idunno:

Doormat

Doormat said:
In the Bible, King Saul asked a medium to summon the ghost of Samuel.

The story is interesting. Did she really summon Samuel, or was she speaking as though she summoned Samuel, to manipulate Saul?

She seemed pretty surprised when Samuel showed up. She probably thought she was going to give Saul the usual song and dance before things went totally beyond her control.

She could have been acting surprised.

The best evidence it could have been real is the prophecy of Saul's death and Israel's defeat, in my opinion; but God could have brought that about because Saul believed and feared the medium's lies. Saul should have put her to death per God's law (Lev 20:27). Instead, he did this:

1 Samuel 28:10 Saul vowed to her by the LORD, saying, "As the LORD lives, no punishment shall come upon you for this thing."

Dumb.

Last edited:

Buzzword

The only paranormal experience I've ever had was a very brief OBE in my dorm room during my second year of college.

My wife has had a few experiences, mainly due to working in one of the older buildings near downtown Oklahoma City.

Probably the most profound of these involved a massive, rapid change in temperature. It was in mid-July, nearly 100 degrees outside, and their AC had died. In the midst of this hotbox, my wife sat down at a table in the back, and suddenly felt intensely cold. Shivering, teeth chattering, etc. Her coworker less than two feet away felt nothing, and continued to sweat profusely.

By this point in time, she had already had a few experiences in that building, so she looked around and asked "Could you guys please leave? I'm really cold!" It was as if someone had flipped a switch, and she was back to feeling hot again.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Some things are just our imaginations playing tricks on us and it's important not to write everything off as a spiritual encounter. However, the spirit world is HUGE and have more influence than we sometimes realise.

Indeed. Being a skeptic doesn't always mean saying "no," but sometimes it's pretty easy to trick yourself into thinking an experience was paranormal when it has a mundane explanation.

Thunder's Muse

The only paranormal experience I've ever had was a very brief OBE in my dorm room during my second year of college.

I don't think I've ever had an OBE. Was it scary?

My wife has had a few experiences, mainly due to working in one of the older buildings near downtown Oklahoma City.

Probably the most profound of these involved a massive, rapid change in temperature. It was in mid-July, nearly 100 degrees outside, and their AC had died. In the midst of this hotbox, my wife sat down at a table in the back, and suddenly felt intensely cold. Shivering, teeth chattering, etc. Her coworker less than two feet away felt nothing, and continued to sweat profusely.

By this point in time, she had already had a few experiences in that building, so she looked around and asked "Could you guys please leave? I'm really cold!" It was as if someone had flipped a switch, and she was back to feeling hot again.

That's a pretty cool story...