User Tag List

Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 1018

Thread: Summit Clock Experiment 2.0: Time is Absolute

  1. #256
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,821
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 8,383 Times in 6,476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147802
    Quote Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
    By the way, I was going to continue this thought experiment in a scenario involving two observers in different amounts of gravity, but it appears there's no need to do that. You agree with Einsteinian physics, you just choose not to say that "time" is relative.
    Er, not exactly. I agree with results that can be derived from Einstein's equations. But his explanations are incorrect. He has taken his slightly incorrect mathematical method and used its functions to describe reality - and reality almost certainly does not include a thing called time dilation. There is a way to do the math a slightly different way and to avoid having to say time is being affected. Thus I do not agree with Einstein's "physics".

    You've cast off any anchor lines from your concept of "time" that would bind it with anything useful in the physical world.
    Not at all! On Earth we are perfectly justified at looking at the sun and moon and using them as the reference frame by which to calculate standard time for everything. We will never come across an environment where we cannot refer to those things in order to correlate our coordinate systems.
    In your world, there's the concept of how fast clocks run relative to each other, but you're refusing to use the word "time" to describe any of that. Time is something else for you, which I guess you ascribe to God.
    Time is the distance between events. Anytime anyone or anything does something - we have time.

    For sure this system of yours would work without using the word "time," it's just that you will have trouble communicating with everyone else who uses the word "time." Good luck with that.
    Why do you think I would never say time?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  2. #257
    Veteran Frayed Knot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    There is a way to do the math a slightly different way and to avoid having to say time is being affected.
    Therefore it's just a semantics issue.

    Thus I do not agree with Einstein's "physics".
    Based on our thought experiment, you seem to agree with his physics, it's just that you want to substitute your own words.

    On Earth we are perfectly justified at looking at the sun and moon and using them as the reference frame by which to calculate standard time for everything.
    Yes, if it's convenient, we can relate all our local measurements to the positions of the Earth and Sun. It's just that there's no reason that this is a generally useful way to do it. Someone in another galaxy at the edge of our visible universe wouldn't think that our reference frame is useful for him.


    Time is the distance between events.
    As observed by whom? You say this like there's a standard frame of reference, but as we've seen, two people would observe the exact same event as taking different amounts of time.

  3. #258
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,821
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 8,383 Times in 6,476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147802
    Quote Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
    Therefore it's just a semantics issue.
    Not exactly. The math is more robust my way. And when the wrong choice is applied as if it were physical reality then we have problems.

    Based on our thought experiment, you seem to agree with his physics, it's just that you want to substitute your own words.
    I outlined what I agreed with. It wasn't this.

    Yes, if it's convenient, we can relate all our local measurements to the positions of the Earth and Sun. It's just that there's no reason that this is a generally useful way to do it. Someone in another galaxy at the edge of our visible universe wouldn't think that our reference frame is useful for him.


    I'm prepared to run that risk.

    As observed by whom? You say this like there's a standard frame of reference, but as we've seen, two people would observe the exact same event as taking different amounts of time.
    We do not need to argue or decide who is in the better position. We can agree upon a standard coordinate system and calculate everything according to that. That's the way we agree on all other forms of measurement.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  4. #259
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,821
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 8,383 Times in 6,476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147802
    Cue a nonsense post from Jukia .... 3 2 1....
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  5. #260
    Over 1500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,792
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Cue a nonsense post from Jukia .... 3 2 1....
    Nope you beat me to it.

    Although I enjoyed your comment about the robust math. Please provide it so we can all see the robustness. Math, you know, numbers, calculations, symbols.
    "Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight in vain", G. Smiley

    "Send money, guns and lawyers..." W. Zevon

    "If it is possible for something to happen, that is evidence that it did happen." Stripe on TOL

    "There but for fortune...", P. Ochs

  6. #261
    Veteran Frayed Knot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    90
    I liked it when he said the math is more robust his way, as if there may be a lurker who started reading this thread at just that comment and might get the impression that Stripe had actually shown any math at all in 18 pages.

  7. #262
    Veteran Frayed Knot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    312
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    90
    So Stripe, I'm going to soldier on here. Before we carry on, didn't you say before that you agree that the speed of light is a constant for everyone?

  8. #263
    Over 1500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,792
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
    I liked it when he said the math is more robust his way, as if there may be a lurker who started reading this thread at just that comment and might get the impression that Stripe had actually shown any math at all in 18 pages.
    Well, I just asked him to show his math. Sort of like 5th grade when you had to show your work. I'm sure he will do so. He said the math was more robust his way (what is robust math? 1 + 1 = 2?) and Stripe would never make a claim about something for which he had no evidence. That would be very unChristian.
    "Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight in vain", G. Smiley

    "Send money, guns and lawyers..." W. Zevon

    "If it is possible for something to happen, that is evidence that it did happen." Stripe on TOL

    "There but for fortune...", P. Ochs

  9. #264
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,821
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 8,383 Times in 6,476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147802
    Quote Originally Posted by Frayed Knot View Post
    So Stripe, I'm going to soldier on here. Before we carry on, didn't you say before that you agree that the speed of light is a constant for everyone?
    Uh.... No.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  10. #265
    Over 1500 post club
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,792
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Uh.... No.
    Is the speed of light constant in a vacuum?
    "Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight in vain", G. Smiley

    "Send money, guns and lawyers..." W. Zevon

    "If it is possible for something to happen, that is evidence that it did happen." Stripe on TOL

    "There but for fortune...", P. Ochs

  11. #266
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,821
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 8,383 Times in 6,476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147802
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukia View Post
    Well, I just asked him to show his math. Sort of like 5th grade when you had to show your work. I'm sure he will do so. He said the math was more robust his way (what is robust math? 1 + 1 = 2?) and Stripe would never make a claim about something for which he had no evidence. That would be very unChristian.
    Right on cue, more nonsense from Jokia.

    We've been discussing the math. Try reading next time.

    We have a distance between two points and a ray of light traveling it. One man sees the light travel only that distance, one sees it travel that distance plus a sideways component because he is moving so quickly.

    Frayed says the difference between the two measurements involves time dilation because the light path distance is greater for the man moving, but the time taken is the same. I say there is no difference because the man moving can correlate his coordinate system with the man not and they can both calculate the same result.

    Feel free to point out exactly what I've said that is incorrect. And remember to explain why.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  12. #267
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,821
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 8,383 Times in 6,476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147802
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukia View Post
    Is the speed of light constant in a vacuum?
    Try reading the thread.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  13. #268
    Journeyman Dr.Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The romance capitol of the Great North
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukia View Post
    Well, I just asked him to show his math.
    I'd like to see his math, too. But making bold claims about math and physics and refusing to demonstrate said claims is classic (s)Tripe. So don't hold your breath.

  14. #269
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,821
    Thanks
    134
    Thanked 8,383 Times in 6,476 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147802
    Hi, Watties.

    Figured out how an aquifer could maintain its pressure for 2 million years yet?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  15. #270
    Journeyman Dr.Watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The romance capitol of the Great North
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Hi, Watties.

    Figured out how an aquifer could maintain its pressure for 2 million years yet?


    How about you show us this "robust" math. And show it side by side Einsteins. You do that, and I'll explain to you this red-herring misnomer you keep bringing up. Deal?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us