Male rights issues

elohiym

I'm interested in opinions about current violations of male rights. Two male rights issues I'm interested in are paternal fraud and infant genital mutilation (circumcision). What are some other male rights issues, and why do you think they're important?

elohiym

Man has one right and that is to love, serve and obey his Maker. Failure to comply affects any blessings the man would receive.

Practically, Rusha's example is one where the man is clearly denied the right to do that.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will add that men have the right to not be physically or sexually abused or raped.

Men have the right to be supported should they choose be a SAHD.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Custody issues: It really depends on the individuals involved.

My father has sole physical custody of my two half brothers because he was reliable and it was in the best interest of the children.

Men's sports: My preference is that men be allowed to participate with their own gender. It's hard to concentrate on a sport when one is worried about accidental contact that might be seen as inappropriate.

Men's rooms: I don't think either gender should have to feel ill at ease by sharing their restroom with the opposite sex.

brewmama

I'm interested in opinions about current violations of male rights. Two male rights issues I'm interested in are paternal fraud and infant genital mutilation (circumcision). What are some other male rights issues, and why do you think they're important?

No fault divorce. It hurts men as well as women, maybe more because of the failings of family courts.

shagster01

I'm interested in opinions about current violations of male rights. Two male rights issues I'm interested in are paternal fraud and infant genital mutilation (circumcision).

I'm glad it happened to me when I was born and I have no memory of it. I wouldn't want to do it now.

Wasn't "genital mutilation" once required by God? You make it sound so sinful.

What are some other male rights issues, and why do you think they're important?

Why do I have to lift all the heavy stuff at work?

elohiym

I will add that men have the right to not be physically or sexually abused or raped.

Men have the right to be supported should they choose be a SAHD.

Custody issues: It really depends on the individuals involved.

My father has sole physical custody of my two half brothers because he was reliable and it was in the best interest of the children.

Men's sports: My preference is that men be allowed to participate with their own gender. It's hard to concentrate on a sport when one is worried about accidental contact that might be seen as inappropriate.

Men's rooms: I don't think either gender should have to feel ill at ease by sharing their restroom with the opposite sex.

All great examples. I'm also wondering how people would prioritize those issues, which ones should be tackled first, the most pressing. I mostly wanted to gather a list of male rights issues, like you've been giving me. Thanks for taking the time.

elohiym

Anything that is granted or taken away is by judgement.

I see your point but don't understand why practically a man would not have a right to prevent his child's murder in the case of abortion so he could do God's will, i.e. generally prevent murder.

Newman

Men and women have many important differences, but one of them is not in the realm of rights. There is no such thing as men's rights or women's rights, per se. Just human rights. And those are only negative rights: private property, self-ownership. Any other supposed right involves the violation of this one.

brewmama

How so? Could you elaborate? An example? Thanks.

"The rights of fathers are a frequently overlooked part of divorce. This is unfortunate because currently, divorce (especially unilateral no-fault divorce) is largely used against men. In Stevenson’s words, “On balance, unilateral divorce favors those who most want out of the marriage, which more often than not are women.” Women are more likely to be worse off economically as a result of divorce. But men are more likely to be the disadvantaged party protesting the divorce.

A full two-thirds of divorces are initiated by wives. Among college-educated couples, 90 percent of divorces are initiated by women. In child custody cases, mothers are awarded custody 70 percent of the time. Joint custody is granted 20 percent of the time. In 40 percent of all child custody cases, the father is completely barred from seeing his children. This certainly includes cases where the father has been abusive and there are good reasons to keep him away. But the courts are heavily biased toward women in custody battles."

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinio...r-and-pro-child-case-against-no-fault-divorce

rexlunae

Men and women have many important differences, but one of them is not in the realm of rights. There is no such thing as men's rights or women's rights, per se. Just human rights.

This is actually an important correction, and I agree with it completely.

Have you ever noticed that when people talk about "male rights", it almost exclusively involves women in some way? You never hear anyone complain about how men are looked down upon for taking what's seen as "women's" work, like nursing or teaching. This is in contrast to the issues that feminists tend to raise, which involve things like sexual violence from men, but also things like wage equality, access to health care, lack of political empowerment, and stigmatization of women's bodies.

It's not that men's rights are an inherently absurd concept. In fact, feminism properly understood should entail a concern for the rights of men just as it does for women. But the focus and history of the movement is such that it's easy to get the impression that it's mostly a reaction to resist the advancement of equality for women. Not to say there isn't some institutional unfairness against men in some of these contexts, but it's a little hard to respond positively when I'm not sure that they have the same commitment to equality.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sure they do. In all muslim countries or where mentioning the name of Jesus Christ gets you in jail or worse.

I was speaking of the USA, Nick. There are men who would love to have the opportunity of raising their child rather than having he/she aborted.

elohiym

Men and women have many important differences, but one of them is not in the realm of rights.

The anatomical differences between men and women necessitates gender-specific rights, e.g. women have the right to bear children.

There is no such thing as men's rights or women's rights, per se. Just human rights. And those are only negative rights: private property, self-ownership. Any other supposed right involves the violation of this one.

Human rights are not the only rights. For example, a contract creates rights. Governments also create rights; the right to vote is not a human right but a right of citizenship.