User Tag List

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3441424344

Thread: Summit Clock Experiment 2.0: Time is Absolute

Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,504 Posts

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcthomas View Post
    But ALL ways of judging time are affected in the same way. Caesium atomic clocks, chemical reaction speed, ticking pendulum clocks, decay rates of fast vs slow muons, GPS satellites, everything. Relativity is the only way to explain the odd colour of gold which would otherwise look silver.
    Nope! The fact that you can come up to both clocks (see opening post) and touch them simultaneously without the universe exploding is proof that not all ways of judging time are effect the same way. Both clock and the mountain and everything else experienced the exact same number of days.

Of all the ways of measuring fine are all affected in the same way, why should you not conclude that time has slowed relative to an observer?
    Because nothing ever left the present moment and because making such a conclusion leads inevitably to all sorts of self-contradictory non-sense as was presented in the silly video.

Or to put it another way, how do you define the flow of time as if not as the occurrence of regular events?
    That is precisely what time is! It is an idea - the passing of events. Time is a convention of language whereby information about the duration and sequence of events is conveyed. That's all it is. It is not a thing that can be manipulated. Ideas are not effected by ones momentum. Clocks seem to be but that is not the same thing. If I have two clocks and I pick one of them up and wind the time backward an hour in the time it takes the other to tick off three seconds, you'd say I was a mad man if I attempted to suggest that one of the clocks moved through time slower than the other, wouldn't you?

If those things I mentioned above do not measure time tell me what does. How do you define and measure time?
    I answered this already but just to reiterate, time is simply a concept, not a thing with its own ontological existence. Note the inherent contradictions that cannot be escaped if you accept the existence of time. When did time begin? That question cannot be answered. It cannot even be rationally asked! The terms "when" and "begin" have no meaning outside the context of time and yet every physicist alive is all the time wondering what happened before the Big Bang which is supposed to be when "space-time" created itself, which is itself a fallacious comment to make because again, the word "when" has no meaning outside the context of time. They continually speak of the creation of time as an event ignoring the fact that time is nothing more than comparing the duration and sequence of events with other events. In other words, if there is no time, there could be no events, including the creation of time (or anything else for that matter). The self-contradictory nonsense is continuous and relentless. Even the concept of existence itself implies duration, thus the idea that time exists (ontologically) is a self-contradictory fantasy.

Resting in Him,
    Clete
    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clete, you make a lot of points and I'd like to answer a number of them. But it will have to wait until the morning now. G'night.
    We wunt be druv.

Self appointed representative of the reality based community. [Send complaints to /dev/null.]

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just read back through your last two posts and decided that you have just ignored everything I have written in your responses.

I'll just describe one contradiction in your responses: you say you've been familiar with relativity for three decades, yet everything you criticise about it shows your lack of understanding of the actual concepts.

It is pointless debating one sided with you if you don't revisit your limited knowledge of relativity that you pretend to critique.
    Last edited by gcthomas; February 17th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
    We wunt be druv.

Self appointed representative of the reality based community. [Send complaints to /dev/null.]

Thread Information