The Recorded Atrocities of John Calvin

Robert Pate

Banned

Okay!

Following John Calvin is the same as following the devil.

People tend to act and do things that they think their God would do. Which makes some religious people very dangerous. John Calvin believed that God was a tyrant, he was trying to be like him.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
People tend to act and do things that they think their God would do. Which makes some religious people very dangerous. John Calvin believed that God was a tyrant, he was trying to be like him.

No, that would be the Pope.

Calvin and Luther declared him to be the son of perdition, and the Roman Church the Idolatress of Babylon.

You know what I think?
I think that you have been holding contempt against Calvinists for so long that you're incapable of getting off it. That's called an obsession, not a work of good fruit.

beloved57

Okay!

Following John Calvin is the same as following the devil.

You don't believe in Tulip you don't believe the Gospel and are in unbelief !

Robert Pate

Banned
No, that would be the Pope.

Calvin and Luther declared him to be the son of perdition, and the Roman Church the Idolatress of Babylon.

You know what I think?
I think that you have been holding contempt against Calvinists for so long that you're incapable of getting off it. That's called an obsession, not a work of good fruit.

I don't have much regard for any religion that makes a sham out of the glorious Gospel of Jesus Christ.

fishrovmen

:think:
King David was adulterous 2 Sam. 11:1-3
Got another's wife pregnant 2 Samuel 11:4-5
Plotted and tried to cover it up 2 Samuel 11:6-13
Had Uriah murdered, as well as many others 2 Samuel 11:14-26
And took another man's wife as his own 2 Samuel 11:27
Excellent post Lon!

:up: Not only Calvin (see AMR's excellent response with sources above), but certainly David who's guilt is unquestionable, unlike John Calvin (have you already thrown out Samuel, Psalms, Chronicles and Kings? :think: Let's do that too Robert, right in the trash along with James and Acts for you...)

OTOH :think:
Acts 13:22 After removing Saul, he made David their king. God testified concerning him: 'I have found David son of Jesse, a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.'
1 Samuel 13:14
1 Kings 14:8

Wow, Robert Pate vs God :think: : 1 Samuel 16:7

Learn an important lesson today, Robert, you are thinking like a Pharisee. Listen to Jesus Christ my Lord God and Savior Luke 18:9-14

Robert Pate

Banned
Another example of the type of scholarship you practice, Robert. You wrongly title the thread to attract eyeballs: "The Recorded Atrocities of John Calvin" and then proceed to detail poor investigation into what the Geneva city council was doing. Time and again you demonstrate you are just not qualified to sit at the table where serious theological discourse takes place.

Any notion that Geneva was operating under Calvin as a theocrat is discredited with Farel and Calvin being forced to leave (in a big hurry) in 1538. Calvin's complaint that people named their dogs after him ought to dispel some of the usual aggressive claims that Calvin ruled Geneva.

The plain fact that Calvin did not achieve citizenship until 1559 is significant and overlooked by those hoping to discredit Calvin since they have failed to discredit the theology of the Reformer.

Calvin’s Geneva is best understood by actually doing some real homework rather than just copying and pasting from the usual anti-Calvinistic sites (or wing-nut KJBOnlyists like Jack Moorman).

Monter:
Calvin's Geneva

R. Willis:
Servetus And Calvin: A Study Of An Important Epoch In The Early History Of The Reformation

P. E. Hughes:
Calvin and the Consolidation of the Reformation in Geneva (1994).

Scott Manestch:
Calvin's Company of Pastors: Pastoral Care and the Emerging Reformed Church, 1536-1609

Afterwards go read someone who actually knows something about Calvin's life such as:

T. H. L. Parker:
John Calvin--A Biography

Richard Muller:
The Unaccommodated Calvin: Studies in the Foundation of a Theological Tradition

For that matter, why focus upon Calvin, when all of the leading magisterial reformers defended putting heretics, including Anabaptists, to death. Indeed, Zwingli, Luther, Melanchthon, and Bullinger and other leading reformers were just as vocal in their defense of such policies. Do you know anything about the history of the time in question? Geneva, like Zurich, was a little different because these were cantons, city-states. Cities in the Empire functioned a little differently. Further, after 1655 Reformed cities were under a special pressure because they weren’t included formally in the Peace of Augsburg and thus were technically illegal. They were already suspected of being soft of heresy (e.g., Anabaptists flocked to Zurich early) and the Reformed reacted in some cases, e.g., Heidelberg in 1572, by trying to demonstrate that they weren’t soft on heresy.

As someone who has actually studied Reformation history, my job isn’t to defend or prosecute Calvin. Rather it is to tell the truth about the past as best I can. Sure, sixteenth-century Geneva was just that-sixteenth century! Relative to modern pluralism it was a miserable place. Relative to other places in sixteenth-century Europe, it was regarded as a hospital. The diaconal ministry of Geneva was famous across Europe/British Isles. Women fled to Geneva for safety. Pilgrims came to Geneva to escape persecution in France, Italy, and the British Isles among other places. The modern, hospitable Geneva that we know via the Red Cross, et al began, in that sense, in the sixteenth century.

Was discipline harsh? Yes! It was the sixteenth century. People weren’t allowed to say and do whatever they wanted in pre-modern Europe. It just wasn’t allowed, anywhere.

Calvin was influential but he was also a pilgrim who was expelled by the Geneva city council and then recalled, a man who didn’t want to be there and who was hated by a substantial portion of the community, despite the claims of the uninformed that he ruled Geneva. The civil punishments handed by the Genevan council out were just that. The city council did not work for Calvin. He worked for them, but those facts don’t fit the popular anti-Calvinist narrative.

Robert, if you are too lazy to dig deeper find an online version of Schaff's History of Christianity. When it was published, scholarly fact-checking was not as rigorous as it is today, but even Schaff, no friend of Calvin, could not muster up the nonsense being posted by you and others herein.

So either all the recognized authors of historical accounts are all conspiring to maintain a huge cover-up about Calvin, since none of them affirm the nonsense in this thread, or, just perhaps, you simply do not know what you are talking about. :AMR:

These threads should come as no surprise to the discerning, for they show just how desperate the anti-Calvinist must be:
View attachment 21112
[Click to Enlarge]

AMR

John Calvin was a demon. The fact that you side with him makes me think that you are also a demon.

Brother Ducky

John Calvin was a demon. The fact that you side with him makes me think that you are also a demon.

Are you honestly proposing that both Calvin and AMR are created spiritual beings that at some time in time decided to follow Lucifer and fell? Were/are they incarnated as human, or are/were they still spiritual beings that only appear to be human form?