User Tag List

Page 2 of 257 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 3841

Thread: BRXII Battle talk

  1. #16
    Over 3000 post club glassjester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,625
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 781 Times in 639 Posts

    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    190214

  2. #17
    One Post Wonder
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs down Hell?

    This is all based on the assumption that there is a God and he is so vengeful as to create a hell for the mistakes He made. To me this is an exercise in the absurd!

  3. #18
    Over 1000 post club logos_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anderson, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom
    This is logos's down fall. We are eternal beings since God breathed His spirit into Adam and gave him life. God is eternal and so are we in the spiritual realm and we would have been in the physical realm if God hadn't kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden. Since he said that we must kick them out lest they eat from the tree of life and live forever. Then we would live forever in this fallen flesh.

    So since these quotes are referring something that is eternal US they mean eternal END of debate. I win you lose... I have dismantled your entire thesis and found the flaw in your argument you should have honor and addmit defeat..

    Now to Go and read PK's post..
    So...God removes the possibility to get to the tree of life until we come to Him...only to grant it anyway in the end in the resurrection whether we have or not?

    Allllll rightyyyyy thennnnnnn....

  4. #19
    Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,542
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 643 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    949385
    Quote Originally Posted by artcomo
    This is all based on the assumption that there is a God and he is so vengeful as to create a hell for the mistakes He made. To me this is an exercise in the absurd!
    Well then, you may as well stay out of the discussion.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  5. #20
    Registered User Just Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The reality just beyond your blinded eyes...
    Posts
    281
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by logos_x
    So...God removes the possibility to get to the tree of life until we come to Him...only to grant it anyway in the end in the resurrection whether we have or not?

    Allllll rightyyyyy thennnnnnn....
    God removed the possibility to live forever in the fallen state that Adam was in by kicking him out of the Garden.

    Will we or won't we live forever?

    The answer is yes. God is eternal and God breathed His spirit into Adam. When we procreate we create eternal lives/souls/spirits which is what God wanted us to do from the beginning. Then Adam sinned so God had to send Jesus to make a way for all those who would choose to believe and want a relationship with God forever to have it, that relationship otherwise all would have to be separated from God forever because of our sin.

    Your belief is that God will torment men for a while which will make them better so that they will then have suffered enough to come to heaven. Sounds like the inquisition!

  6. #21
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    129
    "LogosQ2: Do you believe God really created the universe so that unending misery would be the outcome for the majority of people He raises from the dead?"
    I believe you really know what he was getting at. He is clear in his logic, while those who believe in eternal torment get stopped at creation. It's real simple, but because we are so patient we will go over it again.

    1. God is all knowing. Knows the end from the beginning.

    2. If you believe there is ET then God knew from the beginning that the majority of people would be burning forever in hell. If He knew it ahead of time then He is to blame.

    3. Saying He gave us "free will" doesn't let him off the hook. Because He still knew that the majority of people with their "free will" were going to burn forever. But He still wanted to make them.... Why?

    4. No one's will is free anyway. We all have a will, but it isn't free. Free is defined as having no outside influences. To say God doesn't affect our will and mold us like a clay pot is unscriptural.

    5. We believe there is no ET. Yet, you are aware we still believe in judgement, living a godly life, and the reason Jesus died was to give us life again, because the penalty was death, not ET. We don't go round and round from the beginning like those who hold to ET have to.

    6. God knew there would be evil. He planned it. He wanted to be our Saviour, our healer, our deliverer, our refuge. He could have been none of those things without evil. But evil and sin will be totally done away with. ET can't admit God planned it, because they have to hold on to hell. Hell keeps them running in circles.

  7. #22
    Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,542
    Thanks
    197
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 643 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    949385
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasClean
    1. God is all knowing. Knows the end from the beginning.
    God declares the end from the beginning. In other words... He decides when things start and when things will end. We shouldn't stretch biblical statements out of there intended meaning.

    Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ĎMy counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,í - Isaiah 46:10
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  8. #23
    Over 750 post club Ecumenicist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    177
    Great first round.

    My comments may sound partisan, but, hey, they are!

    I thought Logos scored a preemptive blast hole with his extensive definition of
    "the ages", which PK fell right into with his opening questions (in my opinion.) I think its
    contingent now on PK to explain how his "the ages" scriptures meet the standards for
    really meaning "eternity."

    I think PK's "supply side theology" is a poor basis for explaining God's Mercy in
    terms of the question at hand, eternal damnation. At least from my reading "look
    at it from the point of view of the saved, pay no attention to those screaming wailing
    souls behind the curtain" doesn't fit with God revealed through Jesus Christ who
    sought out and healed the afflicted. "I demand mercy and not sacrifice!"

    But, seriously, both parties are admirable for the time and dedication that goes into
    an effort of this sort.

    Blessings,

    Dave
    1 John 4:7-8 "Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love."

  9. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Poly is the "chairman" of this debate - try to pay closer attention.
    Ah, fair enough. I thought you were 'master' moderator of all. Since you have delegated moderation to Poly on this occasion then I unreservedly apologise. I would +ve rep you to completely atone for my sins but the forum rules forbid me. So that is your fault .

    NIP

  10. #25
    Over 1000 post club logos_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anderson, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom
    God removed the possibility to live forever in the fallen state that Adam was in by kicking him out of the Garden.

    Will we or won't we live forever?

    The answer is yes. God is eternal and God breathed His spirit into Adam. When we procreate we create eternal lives/souls/spirits which is what God wanted us to do from the beginning. Then Adam sinned so God had to send Jesus to make a way for all those who would choose to believe and want a relationship with God forever to have it, that relationship otherwise all would have to be separated from God forever because of our sin.

    Your belief is that God will torment men for a while which will make them better so that they will then have suffered enough to come to heaven. Sounds like the inquisition!
    Actually the answer is no, we die.

    Eternal life is not our possession...we must be given it. God, Himself, is the only source for eternal life.

    If we already live forever then removing access to the tree of life is a pointless exercise...and if God intends to give eternal life to the unrighteous in the end anyway regardless of whether the conditions are met to gain access to the "tree of life" then He is a fickle and undecisive sort of God that has no real sensible plan.

    Fortunately my view doesn't have those kinds of difficulties. Good luck with yours.

  11. #26
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    129
    God declares the end from the beginning. In other words... He decides when things start and when things will end. We shouldn't stretch biblical statements out of there intended meaning.
    No. There is no "in other words". He declares. As Strongs says "make known". In order to make known you have to know.

    Anyway what's your point. You aren't saying He doesn't know everything are you?

    If you admit He is all knowing, then the rest of my points stand, and you haven't addressed them.

  12. #27
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    43
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    129
    JW,

    The spirits of the truly wicked will likely remain on the Earth for eternity.
    I was with you all the way until here. I thought what you wrote was very creative.

    The only way there could be truly wicked if for there to be a completely neutral playing field. It doesn't exist. There are reasons why even the most wicked are the way they are. The reasons may be complicated and go back for generations. But one thing I am confident of. Wickedness does not consist of someone sitting there one day with a blank slate and declaring, "I am going to be wicked."

    No. There are reasons for the "truly wicked". Reasons that God can take care of.

    By the way. When do recognize someone as "truly wicked". Does it kind of go like this:

    1. Poor lost guy, but he has a good heart. Heís pretty good. God can save him easy.

    2. Poor lost guy, with not quite such a good heart. It takes God a little time and effort to save him.

    3. Lost guy with sort of a stinkin heart. Itís iffy whether God can save him.

    4. Truly wicked. God doesnít quite have what it takes to help this guy.

    Just jump in to totally trusting God. No one is beyond His changing them. Even if at first they donít want to be changed. God wants them and He will get them.

  13. #28
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello, I'm new here the name's Xavier... I'll add my $.02 to this debate and go back to hiding...

    It seems to me that the majority of folks here believe that the Cross was some sort of contigent plan in the case that things didn't pan out exactly the way that God wanted them to... For me, to believe that God kind of rolled the dice and see what happens in each person's life is ludicrous... To believe that God set up Adam and Eve in the Garden and not know they were going to disobey Him is ludicrous... To believe that God created humanity knowing full well that the majority would reject Christ and send them to eternal damnation for it is ludicrous... You go, Logos_X! I'm with you!

  14. #29
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Home sweet home.
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    243
    I am going to try and read this Battle Royal with a total open mind.
    Everything is black and white with gray in the middle.
    http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/rose3.gif

  15. #30
    Registered User Just Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The reality just beyond your blinded eyes...
    Posts
    281
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by logos_x
    Actually the answer is no, we die.

    Eternal life is not our possession...we must be given it. God, Himself, is the only source for eternal life.

    If we already live forever then removing access to the tree of life is a pointless exercise...and if God intends to give eternal life to the unrighteous in the end anyway regardless of whether the conditions are met to gain access to the "tree of life" then He is a fickle and undecisive sort of God that has no real sensible plan.

    Fortunately my view doesn't have those kinds of difficulties. Good luck with yours.
    Eternal life is the result of God creating Adam and breathing His Spirit into him. If we just live and die with no eternal soul then Jesus really didn't need to die now did he. Since when we die we die and thus it matters not what we do here. But since we already have eternal life where we will spend it is of great importance to God which is why he went to such great lengths to make a way for us to have a relationship with him. If that isn't true then none of it really matters and those that die without God just die and then only those who accept Jesus will live forever. This then destroys your contention that all will make it to heaven after a period of punishment/correction like a really good spanking.

    Your perception of God and man is one of the reason your theology is so whacked..

    Once one proves that man has eternal life already an eternal soul then your argument that the word doesn't mean eternal crumbles like a sandcastle at high tide..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us