The real book on Christianity.

Mickiel

You couldn't be more wrong. You might start by reading Ezekiel 40-48.

The holy days are crutches that some people need to help them walk. Christ is the end of the law, Rom. 10:4

The righteousness of Christ is a whole new ball game.

Mickiel

The real book on Christianity is that it has taken an historical bath in paganism, and has never dried off. The assimilation of paganism by early Christianity just completely changed its theology. In fact, the term " Theology" itself, used to be used to describe pagan beliefs. Aristotle and Abelard mastered pagan philosophy , they applied that learning to the scriptures, mixed that knowledge together, and Christian theological education never has recovered from this heavy historical add mix.

Interplanner

You must mean Aristotle entered through Abelard, but all Aristotle was also a-theist, so it didn't get very far.

I don't think the council creeds show very much impact by Aristotelianism or by paganism, but it does appear that in eschatology a lot of 2-3rd generation Christians tried to revert to a Judaistic eschatology. Luther found a lot of resources in Augustine, and we don't see Aristotelian rationalism or paganism in Luther.

Interplanner

You couldn't be more wrong. You might start by reading Ezekiel 40-48.

You could start by reading Ez 40-48, but the NT makes no quotations of it that support you, and you would have to end by reading Hebrews anyway, in which case the above comment is correct.

There is nothing about the 2nd coming in the NT's ordinary-language passages that refers to anything happening in modern Israel or involving Judaism: Rom 2, 8, I Cor 15, 2 Pet 3, 2 Tim 4, Heb 9, Acts 17, I Jn 2, 4.

Mickiel

You must mean Aristotle entered through Abelard, but all Aristotle was also a-theist, so it didn't get very far.

I don't think the council creeds show very much impact by Aristotelianism or by paganism, but it does appear that in eschatology a lot of 2-3rd generation Christians tried to revert to a Judaistic eschatology. Luther found a lot of resources in Augustine, and we don't see Aristotelian rationalism or paganism in Luther.

I think Christianity made a historical mistake, they held to the misguided view that Plato and Aristotle were school masters whose techniques could be used to bring men to Christ. Their heavy reliance on these pagan philosophers severely diluted the Christian faith. Many of a new wave of church fathers were really pagan philosophers prior to their conversions. Justin Martyr, Socrates, even Origen was deeply influenced by pagan philosophy. He was a colleague of Plontinus, the father of Neoplatonism. ( Pagan Christianity, pg.202, Viola.)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The real book on holy days is that they have been done away with. They are Old Covenant addiction.

Passover is a memorial of Jesus' death until he comes.

For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes. (1 Corinthians 11:26 NKJV)​

The other annual feasts are not applicable at this time.

Mickiel

Passover is a memorial of Jesus' death until he comes.

For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes. (1 Corinthians 11:26 NKJV)​

The other annual feasts are not applicable at this time.

I can agree with this. I think how Christianity has changed the Passover experience has been a negative thing. It used to be a joyful occasion , but Christianity turned it into a sullen more sad serious kind of thing; I disagree with that change.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I can agree with this. I think how Christianity has changed the Passover experience has been a negative thing. It used to be a joyful occasion , but Christianity turned it into a sullen more sad serious kind of thing; I disagree with that change.

Me too, Passover is sober but not sad. I look forward to it each year.

Mickiel

The real book on Christianity is that they are not where they think they are with God; God is using them in a FAR different manner than they suspect.

A manner than none of them would agree with doing.

Mickiel

Do you mind if I show you a list of " Needs to be saved!" And if you don't mind, I will show you biblical proof that Jesus himself approves of this list being saved and in his Kingdom; if you don't mind. I know many of you are not interested in talking about the salvation of those who need it, there are other topics that interest you; but indulge salvation for just a moment.

Again Jesus in Matthews 5: 1-12, a list of needs;

People who are poor in spirit are given the Kingdom free. This means spiritually weak people, and it can mean unbelievers, because they have a seriously poor spirit of belief.

People who mourn will be comforted. Or people who are in sorrow; unbelief in God is the greatest sorrow I know of.

The meek will inherit the earth. Did you know that the meek can mean the injured? People who hate God are seriously injured, but Jesus is still giving them eternal inheritance.

The merciful shall obtain mercy. This looks bad for those who believe in eternal punishing, because its a merciless belief.

Blessed are you when people persecute you; this means that all the believers in God who are condemning others to their hell, which is the worse persecution possible, calling them evil unbelievers, Jesus said these people are really blessed.

Just another angle to view scripture from; away from your selfish angle.

fzappa13

You could start by reading Ez 40-48, but the NT makes no quotations of it that support you, and you would have to end by reading Hebrews anyway, in which case the above comment is correct.

There is nothing about the 2nd coming in the NT's ordinary-language passages that refers to anything happening in modern Israel or involving Judaism: Rom 2, 8, I Cor 15, 2 Pet 3, 2 Tim 4, Heb 9, Acts 17, I Jn 2, 4.

Another manila folder christian, lovely.

Mickiel

In Revelations 2nd chapter, Jesus is communicating with an angel that is charged with over seeing this particular church at Ephesus. Jesus communicates with an angel in all 7 of his messages to his churches in these stunning communications. Proof that angels are with those stages of the churches.

Jesus tells Ephesus in 2:4, " I have something against you; you have left your first love." This church stopped doing something that they " Used to love doing." In verse 2 Jesus said he " Knows their work and labor." What were they doing that they used to love doing so much? And it was considered a work in the church? I think it was witnessing to the world their coming salvation. I think it was a love for salvation, and the salvation of all people, not just Jews or Gentiles. Peter and Paul had a big fight over that, and I think it got settled in Paul's favor; salvation was for everyone.

But the church has lost that love for everyone. Now they teach a fragmented salvation, like the one Peter wanted.

fzappa13

I've never heard the expression before. I have no idea where it comes from. Perhaps you could just speak about the passages listed.

That's someone whose functional Bible can comfortably fit in a manila folder. They seem to gravitate to this place.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus tells Ephesus in 2:4, " I have something against you; you have left your first love."

The first love is the love of learning about God. Some reach a plateau in their knowledge of God's word and that's as far as they go.

Mickiel

We grow by functioning, not by passively watching and listening. One of the most serious errors Christianity has made, is to change how they worship, and reduce the membership from free participation, to just being pew sitting listeners. Which is very limited expression. The services used to be that everyone participated, now its one huge tongue, ( the pastor), and many little ears, ( the congregation).

Many members who have various talents, are just being stifled. The entire service is directed by one person. Which is basically a Protestant order of worship.