Rio 2016 Olympics

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Zika virus: Pregnant women advised to stay away from Rio 2016 Olympics: Senior scientist says congenital birth defect epidemic in Brazil is probably linked with mosquito-borne virus by Steve Connor] "Women who think they may be pregnant in the weeks before travelling to the Olympics in Brazil later this year should consider abandoning their trip because of the risks posed by the Zika virus to their unborn child, a senior scientist has warned.

An epidemic in Brazil of a congenital birth defect known as microcephaly, when the brain of the foetus fails to grow normally, is probably linked to the recent introduction and widespread transmission of the mosquito-borne Zika virus, said Laura Rodrigues, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

“It is an unprecedented epidemic of microcephaly,” Professor Rodrigues said. “It has never happened before and it was probably caused by congenital infections of Zika virus, caused by pregnant women getting infected and the virus going to the baby’s brain.” It is not known how the Zika virus might cause microcephaly in the womb but it is likely to result from an infection of the developing foetal brain in the first three months, and possibly first few weeks, of pregnancy, said Professor Rodrigues, who is investigating the outbreak in Brazil..." Full text: Zika virus: Pregnant women advised to stay away from Rio 2016 Olympics Lk 21:11

See:

Pestilence

Related:

Biggest protests in 20 years sweep Brazil

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Brazil Preps for Olympics With Warships, Troops

Muslim female athletes compete while covered

Fire in Olympic Village

Spoiler
90c552063d95ebef510e52476d555300.jpg

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm distractedly watching the opening ceremony. I enjoyed the performance to begin. Now it's in the parade of nations.

The performance went into some serious topics. Colonization, slavery, climate change. Though according to the commentators and the creators they were attempting to show some positives from the slavery by showing how each culture contributed to Brazil.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
[Zika virus: Pregnant women advised to stay away from Rio 2016 Olympics: Senior scientist says congenital birth defect epidemic in Brazil is probably linked with mosquito-borne virus by Steve Connor] "Women who think they may be pregnant in the weeks before travelling to the Olympics in Brazil later this year should consider abandoning their trip because of the risks posed by the Zika virus to their unborn child, a senior scientist has warned.

An epidemic in Brazil of a congenital birth defect known as microcephaly, when the brain of the foetus fails to grow normally, is probably linked to the recent introduction and widespread transmission of the mosquito-borne Zika virus, said Laura Rodrigues, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

“It is an unprecedented epidemic of microcephaly,” Professor Rodrigues said. “It has never happened before and it was probably caused by congenital infections of Zika virus, caused by pregnant women getting infected and the virus going to the baby’s brain.” It is not known how the Zika virus might cause microcephaly in the womb but it is likely to result from an infection of the developing foetal brain in the first three months, and possibly first few weeks, of pregnancy, said Professor Rodrigues, who is investigating the outbreak in Brazil..." Full text: Zika virus: Pregnant women advised to stay away from Rio 2016 Olympics Lk 21:11

Also see:

Could Zika Doom Rio Summer Olympics?

Related:

Biggest protests in 20 years sweep Brazil

Countries like Brazil probably should not host the Olympics. I doubt this will ever happen but one idea I heard was to have the Olympics in the same place every time. I don't know how a decision on where would be made. Maybe each Olympics could still highlight one or a couple of the participating countries like the host country gets to present itself. :idunno: I'm just getting sick of having controversy surrounding these big international competitions, whether the Olympics or the World Cup.