The Life of Christ for the Believer

Robert Pate

Banned
The question is did Christ live for us?

Most teachers of systematic theology will say no. They will say all that matters in the salvation of fallen man is the death of Christ. His life is not relevant. My question is, what if Christ had failed to obey God's holy law? He would have been a transgressor and a sinner and his sacrifice on the cross would not have been acceptable to God. The law says, "We must love God with all of our heart, mind and strength and our neighbor as ourselves" Leviticus 19:18.

Was it necessary for Christ to fulfill this law for us? He fulfilled this law fully and completely for us just as though we fulfilled it ourselves. Jesus's mission was to come into the world to do for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. In our name and on our behalf Jesus has offered to God the Father a life of perfect obedience to his Holy Law. That was not enough, something had to be done about our sins. Again, in our name and on our behalf Jesus atones for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2.

The trouble with just accepting the death of Christ and not his life leaves a void in the believers doctrine and either consciously or unconsciously the believer will try to fill this void with his own life. This will lead to legalism.

The voice from heaven said, "This is my Son in whom I am well pleased" Matthew 3:17. Christ has provided righteousness for us by his life. The scripture says, "For if by one man's offense, death reigned by one, but those who receive an abundance of grace and the GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS shall reign in life by Jesus Christ" Romans 5:17.

This life of Christ that offers everything to God that the law demands. This life that is perfect in word and deed, this is our life; it is the life that God imputes to us. The scripture says that Abraham believed that God and was able to do that which he had promised and it was imputed to him for righteousness, Romans 4:21, 22. This righteousness that was imputed to Abraham was the righteous life of Christ. "So by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous" Romans 5:19.

We need not only the life of Christ to save us, we need his death, his resurrection, his ascension into heaven, his presence at the right hand of God and his promise to come again and receive us into himself. If we say that any part of this is not relevant, we have done great damage to the Gospel.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Was it necessary for Christ to fulfill this law for us?

Christ did not "fulfill" the law for us, he kept the law for his own eternal salvation and now he does the same in us.

The law Jesus kept was the Law given through Moses which is no longer extant.

It's gone. We are now the temple of God provided we stay clean. God doesn't live in a dirty house.

But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me. (Galatians 2:17-20)​

Christ lives in us and he doesn't violate our Father's covenant.

Robert Pate

Banned
Christ did not "fulfill" the law for us, he kept the law for his own eternal salvation and now he does the same in us.

The law Jesus kept was the Law given through Moses which is no longer extant.

It's gone. We are now the temple of God provided we stay clean. God doesn't live in a dirty house.

But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me. (Galatians 2:17-20)​

Christ lives in us and he doesn't violate our Father's covenant.

Jesus does not fulfill the law in us. Where does it say that?

Jesus didn't need to save himself, he was without sin. Everything that Jesus did was for us.

Christ doesn't live in us. He is in heaven. We are indwelt with the Holy Spirit, but only the first fruits, Romans 8:23.

The law still exists for the unsaved.

Paul never said that he was clean. He confessed that he was a sinner, 1 Timothy 1:15.

Keep studying.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul never said that he was clean. He confessed that he was a sinner, 1 Timothy 1:15.

But when they opposed him and blasphemed, he shook his garments and said to them, “Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” (Acts 18:6)​

Robert Pate

Banned
But when they opposed him and blasphemed, he shook his garments and said to them, “Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” (Acts 18:6)​

He meant that he was clean from what they were accusing him of.

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes, by the works of Jesus. Not by our own works.

Made up. His perfect work,"works," on earth, fulfilling the law, with "100% compliance," prior to the dbr, was to be proven, be qualified, as "the lamb without blemish," the satisfactory sacrifice-propitiation.

Prizebeatz1

The Life of Christ for the Believer

There are many interpretations of what Jesus' life meant. I think he was an example for us to live by. Perhaps his life points to our true divine identity and his death points to how we must sacrifice the personality to reveal God's presence.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Robert Pate

Banned
Made up. His perfect work,"works," on earth, fulfilling the law, with "100% compliance," prior to the dbr, was to be proven, be qualified, as "the lamb without blemish," the satisfactory sacrifice-propitiation.

All that Jesus was and all that Jesus did was for our justification.

Robert Pate

Banned
There are many interpretations of what Jesus' life meant. I think he was an example for us to live by. Perhaps his life points to our true divine identity and his death points to how we must sacrifice the personality to reveal God's presence.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

"Our true divine Identity?" We are all sinners saved by grace (God's unmerited favor).

john w

Hall of Fame
All that Jesus was and all that Jesus did was for our justification.

The above says NADA, and continues your MO on TOL, of not paying attention to details, Pate.You would not know the diference between propitiation, and prohibition. The above is a crafty dismissal. None of his work, on earth, prior to the dbr, in keeping the law, is imputed to us,thus crediting us with His righteousness,i.e., your "vicarious law keeping" as a means of righteousness. Keeping the law is not righteousness-it is "just doing what is required." Needed? "The righteousness of God." Memorize that. He is our righteousness.

john w

Hall of Fame
Jesus was fulfilling God's Holy Law, in our name and on our behalf.

Made up-no scripture says that.

Romans 3:21 KJV

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;