On Rape (the original statement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

I'm truly disappointed to see you're just another bleeding heart who has decided it's perfectly fine to "blather on" about someone he doesn't even know. It's perfectly wonderful to have a heart, but that doesn't absolve you from the responsibility of using the brain God gave you. You can do it, Arthur....I've seen you do it before. ;)

"They happened to recover in time...." Amazing how that works, isn't it? It's known as healing. It happens. Forgive me if I'm an optimist when it comes to the ability of victims to recover. What's "arrogant" is you people who think you are doing victims a favor by worrying they'll never recover. People are strong and unless they have a bunch of bleeding hearts standing over them waiting for them to melt, they do recover.

I've seen children who suffer not only rape, but ongoing sexual abuse...who were sold and locked up in crack houses...who were stuck in scalding hot bathtubs....worse things than most people can even imagine. They survive, and many of them prosper. No, I won't play the bleeding heart to make you and your cronies feel better.

Then what sympathy do you have towards those who haven't recovered from such an ordeal, are they just 'weaklings' who couldn't 'move on'? Do you think for one second I wouldn't wish that every person who's endured such horrific assault as rape would heal? Of course I do so it's about time you saw my argument as oppose to what you will it to actually be. It's nothing to do with being a 'bleeding heart' or a 'liberal' no matter how much you want to inject those terms into a convo. Get away from the cliched labels of people GD because you have a brain yourself, and you should know better.

glorydaz

and yet, many of them choose to act like whores

Define "acting like a whore" you little chump.

Uh, like a whore. :idunno:

Er, you're the one who said "uh, like a whore" so it kinda is your job to set the parameters as to what a whore actually is.

Well, let's just trace it back, shall we? Hmmmm......

I noticed you weren't getting an answer from doser,
so when you said to define "acting like a whore",
I suggested the definition for acting LIKE A WHORE was "Uh, like a whore." :idunno:

It seemed like a good enough definition to me. A whore acts like a whore. I'm pretty sure most people have an idea of how a whore acts. I certainly am not going to let you insist I give you a step by step description of what whores do. I just know that whores have made bad choices....they are at fault because they sell sex. How's that?

ClimateSanity

There is no 'game' so how about you just define what 'acting like a whore' means? What exactly? Going out to a club in a mini skirt? Having a career as a glamour model? How about you set the parameters?

Its all in her mindset. The whore sees men as a means to an end. They take advantage of men's libido to the fullest to get what they want. They love the power they have over men that comes with their ability to satisfy his libido. A whore will dress provocatively in order to have men fall all over them. They seek to be worshipped.

Don't get hung up on the manner of dress. Some will dress a certain way to feel pretty. This is normal.

glorydaz

Then what sympathy do you have towards those who haven't recovered from such an ordeal, are they just 'weaklings' who couldn't 'move on'?

"Get away from the cliched labels of people" AB "because you have a brain yourself, and you should know better." :)

And just why would you assume I have no sympathy for anyone, AB? Heck, I even have sympathy for you. I'm sorry you have to resort to thinking I'm some monster because I dare to say that people are not destined to be "victims" when something horrible happens to them. I've seen worse than you ever will, and I've seen that people need encouragement not pity. They need hope not despair. They need strength not weakness. I'll tell you who has trouble moving on, and it isn't the victims. It's the do gooders who don't dare tell them to get out of bed...keep busy....you can do this.....be thankful you're alive and that it wasn't worse.

Arthur Brain

Well, let's just trace it back, shall we? Hmmmm......

I noticed you weren't getting an answer from doser,
so when you said to define "acting like a whore",
I suggested the definition for acting LIKE A WHORE was "Uh, like a whore." :idunno:

It seemed like a good enough definition to me. A whore acts like a whore. I'm pretty sure most people have an idea of how a whore acts. I certainly am not going to let you insist I give you a step by step description of what whores do. I just know that whores have made bad choices....they are at fault because they sell sex. How's that?

Oh c'mon GD, he wasn't just referring to women who are prostitutes and you bloody well know it. So if you're not going to define what 'acting like a whore' actually comprises of in your view then hey ho. Maybe it's a bikini model who shows too much midriff or a woman who dares bare an ankle. This is tiresome and disingenuous on your part if you daren't address the question now.

Arthur Brain

"Get away from the cliched labels of people" AB "because you have a brain yourself, and you should know better." :)

And just why would you assume I have no sympathy for anyone, AB? Heck, I even have sympathy for you. I'm sorry you have to resort to thinking I'm some monster because I dare to say that people are not destined to be "victims" when something horrible happens to them. I've seen worse than you ever will, and I've seen that people need encouragement not pity. They need hope not despair. They need strength not weakness. I'll tell you who has trouble moving on, and it isn't the victims. It's the do gooders who don't dare tell them to get out of bed...keep busy....you can do this.....be thankful you're alive and that it wasn't worse.

I've not assumed you have no sympathy for anyone and nor do I think you're a monster. I think your reasoning is one that's out of kilter and you don't know what I've seen so you don't get to presume on that either. You presume way too much frankly if you think I don't also think that people require hope or would glibly tell them to stay in bed or some such equivalent. Not at all.

bybee

There are reasons why people on this thread are balking at your comments GD and they aren't all "libs" whatever the hell your definition of the term actually means anyway. I'm sorry for anyone you know who's been the victim of any sort of violence or abuse but you do not get to define the extent of damage rape can have on a person - aka it wouldn't destroy them, because you do not bloody know that.

Amen Arthur!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Congratulations, you're a liberal.

i'm a liberal because i want people held responsible for the consequences of their actions? :freak:

time to put the bong away :nono:

Nothing but crickets.

did you have a question that i didn't answer?

'cause it just looked like you were trolling

Sounds like typical rationalization.

i had posted "a nice first step would be the recognition that women bear some responsibility for the consequences of their actions when they engage in risky behavior"

Quip - do you disagree that women should bear some responsibility for the consequences of their actions when they engage in risky behavior?

if so, please address scenario #7: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520846&postcount=43

ok doser

... rape is a choice women make...

see: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520791&postcount=40

wait, what? :idunno:

you want me to defend something I didn't say? :dizzy:

And I'm still waiting for you to name the cowards among the massacred students.

gee, if only there was a thread for that topic

:idea:

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113485

ok doser

Ad nasium?

from the latin

ad: to grab, to hold, to grip

nasia: the central frontal bone of the human skull

eg:
Spoiler
5164986550_c70955e3af.jpg

ok doser

My sister was raped...

and so you have a huge emotional investment in the subject matter and are unable to examine it dispassionately and rationally

i understand

and i understand that your alcoholism is behind your emotional outbursts, inability to follow a train of thought and bizarre bursts of insults

Define "acting like a whore"

google miley cyrus

artie - i'd like to see you address scenario #3: http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4518248&postcount=5

Last edited:

Quetzal

There are reasons why people on this thread are balking at your comments GD and they aren't all "libs" whatever the hell your definition of the term actually means anyway. I'm sorry for anyone you know who's been the victim of any sort of violence or abuse but you do not get to define the extent of damage rape can have on a person - aka it wouldn't destroy them, because you do not bloody know that.
Well said.

ok doser

And you don't bloody know it would or it could. Didn't think about that, did ya? :chuckle:

It's fine for you to make blanket statements about what I can or cannot do, and I simply say....bugger off if you can't handle it. This double standard I'm seeing is the sign of liberal thinking. You guys get all huffy, and how dare someone else say something different than you do.

i believe i mentioned in the beginning of my thread that those who found the subject matter uncomfortable were welcome to avoid the thread :idunno:

Horrible things happen to people every day. Many things that are worse MUCH WORSE than an adult woman being raped. If I have to explain that...then you are a lib. There is no room in the liberal brain for common sense. Get it? That's my "definition".

i have a vague memory of an incident from the first gulf war where a female soldier was on patrol and got captured along with a couple male soldiers

she was sexually molested, they were tortured

after their rescue, she was interviewed extensively and the media kept trying to lead her into admitting that it had been a shattering experience for her and she finally snapped at them and said, basically, "So what? Some crappy arab stuck his fingers in me? Joe and Frank (her teammates) had battery cables hooked up to their teeth. Go talk to them."

ok doser

I've seen first hand how it can demolish someone ...

you want a medal?

i've seen many people struggle to deal with other psychological shocks - from assault (of a non-sexual nature), to PTSD, to emotional trauma

get over yourself you big poof

ok doser

I'm pretty sure most people have an idea of how a whore acts.

:idunno:

bizarre, isn't it?

especially when modern society celebrates women acting like whores

i'd post a pic of Miley Cyrus acting like a whore, but i can't find one that wouldn't get me banned

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm taking abnormal psychology this semester, and we've already covered Cluster B personality disorders, which include antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) and narcissism.

From the DSM-5:

Narcissism
"lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others"

I'd remembered that, and went back to look at again. And what do you know... in discussing antisocial personality disorder (ASPD), the text says:

ASPD (formerly known as psychopathy or sociopathy)
"In addition, individuals with ASPD fail to take responsibility for their own actions and commonly blame the victims for inciting their behavior. Examples include saying that a rape victim deserved the assault because of her sexy clothes or blaming physical fights on the other guy (e.g., 'he had it coming to him'). Individuals with this personality disorder are also often able to use their charm or persuasiveness to exploit others. Perhaps most disconcerting are the tendencies to minimize the consequences of their actions and to feel no remorse. Indeed, they may be completely indifferent to the consequences of their actions."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Yes.

I didn't know if you'd want to post on this thread, but I'm glad you did. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.