Woman Wins Appeal to Wear Colander on Head in DMV Photo as Part of ‘Religion’ to ....

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Woman Wins Appeal to Wear Colander on Head in DMV Photo as Part of ‘Religion’ to Mock Christians

LOWELL, Mass. — A Massachusetts woman has won her appeal to wear a colander on her head for her driver’s license photo as part of a satirical religion that is meant to mock Christianity and its beliefs.

Lindsay Miller of Lowell, who identifies as a member of the “Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster” or “Pastafarianism,” sought to wear the strainer for the photo this past August, but the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) denied her request.

“I thought of other religions and women and thought that this was not fair. I thought, ‘Just because you haven’t heard of this belief system, [the RMV] should not be denying me a license,” she told reporters.

A friend of Miller then turned to the American Humanist Association (AHA) for assistance, which filed an administrative appeal. She was to have attended an appeal hearing in October, but the hearing was postponed and the RMV agreed to allow her to wear the colander since it did not cover her face.

“If people are given the right to wear religious garments in government ID photos, then this must extend to people who follow the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster,” David Niose, legal director of AHA’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center, said in a statement.

The movement began in 2005 when founder Bobby Henderson sent an open letter to the Kansas Board of Education to express his opposition to its decision to allow the teaching of Intelligent Design as an alternative to evolution, mocking biblical Creation with the concept of a “spaghetti monster.”

“With millions, if not thousands, of devout worshipers, the Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion, even by its opponents—mostly fundamentalist Christians,” the organization’s largely blasphemous website states, then proceeds to make a crude statement about the Almighty that is sexual in nature.

“If you say Pastafarians must believe in a literal Flying Spaghetti Monster to be True Believers, then you can make a similar argument for Christians,” it later states. “There is a lot of outlandish stuff in the Bible that rational Christians choose to ignore. We do the same with our scripture. This is intentional.”

“He boiled for your sins,” states one poster featured on the site. Another features a mockery of John 3:16, making a reference to “Spaghetti 3:16,” and shows a man carrying a cross that reads “Pastafarianism.”

woman-allowed-to-wear-colander-on-head-in-dmv-photo-as-part-of-religion-to-mock-christians

But in Canada, where the matter went to court, a judge found such requests to be an abuse of the system.

“Too many people implicated in real litigation with consequences that could affect their lives or those of their children or enterprise are waiting their turn in court for us to be silent about the monopolization of these resources to determine if the plaintiff can be photographed wearing a colander or pirate hat,” stated Quebec Superior Court Judge Stéphane Sansfaçon. “We forget too often that the courts are a public service with limited resources that must not be abused.”

Could you even imagine something like this would ever happen 10 years ago?

What i would like to know is what particular christian belief about what to wear for a dmv photo is she objecting to?

I wonder how she figures that looking like an idiot actually comes off as mocking anyone other than herself?

Last edited:

quip

BANNED
Banned
You should be the last one complaining here.

:up: to the freedom of religious expression..yes?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You should be the last one complaining here.

:up: to the freedom of religious expression..yes?

Asking a question is complaining? Im wondering what Christian thing she thinks we do for dmv photos.

Shes seems like a loon to me.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Asking a question is complaining?

Yes, when you've bothered to create several threads about said subject matter.

Im wondering what Christian thing she thinks we do for dmv photos.

I suppose you need to ask her.

Shes seems like a loon to me.

Me too...but no more than those idiots who roll around the aisle speaking in tongues, or the ones hanging around military funerals citing their "truth" :idunno:

bybee

woman-wins-appeal-to-wear-colander-on-head-in-dmv-photo-as-part-of-religion-to-mock-christians

Could you even imagine something like this would ever happen 10 years ago?

What i would like to know is what particular christian belief about what to wear for a dmv photo is she objecting to?

I wonder how she figures that looking like an idiot actually comes off as mocking anyone other than herself?

Sounds like they are all off their noodles! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That was quite the selective dodge don't you think? :chuckle:

More to the point: Freedom of Religious expression.

(point II: A4T can't have it both ways.)

You mean ive made other threads about idiots and satanists and anti christians who act like idiots thinking they can mock God who cannot be mocked?

yep. You dont have to post in them either, but i see you will troll them anyway.

quip

BANNED
Banned
You mean ive made other threads about idiots and satanists and anti christians who act like idiots thinking they can mock God who cannot be mocked?

yep. You dont have to post in them either, but i see you will troll them anyway.

goose/gander

brewmama

That was quite the selective dodge don't you think? :chuckle:

More to the point: Freedom of Religious expression.

(point II: A4T can't have it both ways.)

You can't tell the difference between freedom of religious expression and mockery of it?
Is it ok with you that Buddhists are persecuted and killed in many places? Or that Buddhists are persecuting Christians?

quip

BANNED
Banned
You can't tell the difference between freedom of religious expression and mockery of it?

An atheist would claim religions are a mockery unto themselves...hence the atheist's burlesque example of it. At some level you seem to agree..or you wouldn't be defending it.

Is it ok with you that Buddhists are persecuted and killed in many places? Or that Buddhists are persecuting Christians?

Buddhists suffer same as anyone.

Jose Fly

It raises an interesting legal question....do we want the government in charge of evaluating religious beliefs, and determining which ones are legitimate and which ones aren't?

I wonder how Mormonism would fare? :think:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It raises an interesting legal question....do we want the government in charge of evaluating religious beliefs, and determining which ones are legitimate and which ones aren't?

I wonder how Mormonism would fare? :think:

Mormons dress funny for dmv pics?

brewmama

Ever hear the expression that one doth protest too much?

Ah, so now any defense against false claims, even one single post, is "protesting too much"? How convenient for those who don't want to be criticized! The same could certainly be said of you and the colander lady, so we will just shrug off everything you say since you protest too much.