ECT Romans 1

nikolai_42

Based on reading Romans 1, can it be said that sexual immorality is a (semi-) direct consequence of (persistent) idolatry? If so, does it have to be idolatry writ large or can it be less obvious idolatry?

Assuming the positive, is it a fair leap to make that this was the reason that the apostles (Paul, mainly) made such a big deal about sexual immorality to the churches (aside from the fact that it was rampant around them)? That if one was not an idolater, then it was likely that there would be no sexual immorality - certainly no gross immorality.

Having read this chapter in the very specific for so long, I wondered lately if it could be made a generalization since idolatry and sexual immorality in the OT seem so commonly linked. Ezekiel 8, for example, seems to me to imply that the abominations that the prophet was being shown were often of a hidden sort (thus, the need for the vision and also the progression deeper into the temple). So idolatry need not be open and obvious to all (as idolatry). But sexual immorality is.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
(Paul, mainly) made such a big deal about sexual immorality...

It is a big deal (1 Pe 5:8).

Satan could destroy men. It is much more enjoyable for him to watch men destroy themselves and others that they claim to love.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them (Ro 1:28–32).

nikolai_42

It is a big deal (1 Pe 5:8).

No disagreement there, but sexual immorality seems to be mentioned (in one way or another) more than pretty much any other type of sin. One might think murder would at least be close, but I don't think it is close. Granted, I don't have the stats, but even a casual reading of the NT shows how often some type of sexual immorality is dealt with as opposed to murder, theft, deceit etc...

It's an issue that seems to be somewhat definitional (of idolatry, if my observation holds).

Satan could destroy men. It is much more enjoyable for him to watch men destroy themselves and others that they claim to love.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful; who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them (Ro 1:28–32).

The fact that Paul goes into some detail about a particular sort of immorality in that chapter certainly has to mean something...not that those other characteristics aren't serious problems (to say the least).

It has been my observation in the past that Israel's captivities were brought on by idolatry more than anything else. God divorced the Northern Kingdom for idolatry. I suspect (but can't prove at the moment) that if they had done everything the same EXCEPT follow strange gods, that their history would have been markedly different - including finding themselves having those tendencies curbed. Romans 1 does talk about being "given over" as though a restraint has been loosed...