What would make you Catholic?

Lon

That formal doctrine which has been authoritatively defined and established by Christ's one historic Catholic Church. Thus has it always been.
And again, you are 'assuming' it is you. As far as history, that doesn't play out. It is almost as bad as kjvonly people. They and you start in the middle of a lot of other churches/translations, and assume yours is the best.

(I have read most of the link content before, btw)

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Being a zombie would make you a Catholic. Spiritual dead as dead can be. How much deader can we get. Only God brings life, not zombies

Lon

Rather, I am concluding it.
Not from where I stand. I climbed the peak and saw the other peaks. You can't hide them from that vantage point. It is avoiding a number of elephants in the room. Many Protestants don't know enough to look, I'll give you that.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Not from where I stand. I climbed the peak and saw the other peaks. You can't hide them from that vantage point. It is avoiding a number of elephants in the room. Many Protestants don't know enough to look, I'll give you that.

very few dare to look

they can't handle the truth

JonahofAkron

I like that analogy. Can you give us some of those elephants?

Lon

I like that analogy. Can you give us some of those elephants?
Okay.

So, here's Lon's question, which I wonder about, too.

"And again, which? Vatican 1? 2? Eastern Orthodox? Ethiopian? Coptic? Ephesus, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, Laodicea, Smyrna, Pergamon?"

If there is one standard doctrine, which council or document is to be found in?
Egyptian Coptic Church, it embraced cooperative creeds with the Roman Church, but it also remained separate as well as differs to this day, with Roman Catholicism. Philip was their Apostle Acts 8:4, 12, 25-40

Eithiopian Orthodox Church, it independently has accepted some creeds and rejected portions of others and has remained apart from Romn Catholicism to this day. It falls within the general category of these type of Oriental Orthodox Churches, who accepted some of the first creeds and were a part of forming them in collaboration with the Roman Catholic Church. John Mark was their Apostle Acts 15:36-41

In the 11th century, with multiple other schisms up to the 11th, and then to this day, though smaller on scale (Vatican I, II separation is a fairly shaking one currently), the greatest schism in the Catholic Church occurred that created the designations of The "Roman" Catholicism and Eastern Orthodox Catholicism/Church.

Anabaptists, Waldenses, and other groups, far from the reaches of Roman Catholicism existed as separate groups at the time. Much like the story of Acts, it is odd for Catholics to think that God may be reaching gentiles from other nations. Some men came to Peter, but the Apostles were themselves missionaries. The 'church' couldn't have been Rome alone because none of these churches ever became part of Roman Catholicism.
Moments of agreement didn't mean 'part' of Roman Catholicism.

There was no official fellowship with many of these to be 'broken.' They simply always acted independently but were ecumenical on those first early councils.
It is a myopic view to claim singularity and superiority based on exclusion and being the biggest bully on the block.

Lon

being on every block does not make us a bully
Er, "no minorities or heretics allowed." It gets brutal after that, we don't need to go there, but no, it wasn't every block, just every block they could get a hold of.
Yes, me too :up:
so
how do you preach the gospel to all nations without being on every block?
Whack 'em with a sticks? Let's not go there either. "Nuh uh" from Catholics quickly can move to the unspeakable (I don't want to go there, you?). The RC would likely be annihilated if they tried the same bully tactics today, or at least divided up and a wall put around the Vatican....

If people stayed waaaaay out of the block radius, they were fine. The EOC was fine. Coptic Churches, mostly fine, but suffered a few fights. Waldenses-not so much (reference Fox's Book of Martyrs - tough read for those who feint easily).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Er, "no minorities or heretics allowed." It gets brutal after that, we don't need to go there, but no, it wasn't every block, just every block they could get a hold of.

Yes, me too :up:

Whack 'em with a sticks? Let's not go there either. "Nuh uh" from Catholics quickly can move to the unspeakable (I don't want to go there, you?). The RC would likely be annihilated if they tried the same bully tactics today, or at least divided up and a wall put around the Vatican....

If people stayed waaaaay out of the block radius, they were fine. The EOC was fine. Coptic Churches, mostly fine, but suffered a few fights. Waldenses-not so much (reference Fox's Book of Martyrs - tough read for those who feint easily).

the church got tough
when
it needed to be tough

you would be reading the koran today
if
it hadn't been tough

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Again: the entirely non-authoritative opinions that you have derived from your favored recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect are noted.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

How about the non-authoritative opinions of the Catholic Church? They are only authoritative to Catholics.