What would make you Catholic?

turbosixx

Hello Serpent Dove,

Is it possible for anyone (not just you or me), but is it possible for a human being to disbelieve an objectively true doctrine?

I don't know if this is disbelieve but they won't want to hear it.
2 Tim. 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4 and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

turbosixx

You're reading this thread, even though it's not Scripture. Reading about Scripture is acceptable, isn't it?

Sure. That's why I'm here to see if someone can help me to understand scripture better. If Cruciform would support his points with scripture and then explain why he understands it to support his point I would gladly read that. I think it's great for each of us to defend what we understand to be truth. If we can't then maybe we don't know the truth.

He uses other peoples work. I read one and pointed out error in it but he ignored it. He doesn't have the decency and respect for others to have a conversation. Isn’t that why we’re here.

glassjester

Sure. That's why I'm here to see if someone can help me to understand scripture better. If Cruciform would support his points with scripture and then explain why he understands it to support his point I would gladly read that. I think it's great for each of us to defend what we understand to be truth. If we can't then maybe we don't know the truth.

He uses other peoples work. I read one and pointed out error in it but he ignored it. He doesn't have the decency and respect for others to have a conversation. Isn’t that why we’re here.

Agreed - that's why I am here!

Just a point worth mentioning: 6 posts up from here, Cruciform linked to scripturecatholic.com, which, as the url suggests, cites Scripture in support of Catholic doctrine.

Do you consider that worth reading?

turbosixx

Agreed - that's why I am here!

Just a point worth mentioning: 6 posts up from here, Cruciform linked to scripturecatholic.com, which, as the url suggests, cites Scripture in support of Catholic doctrine.

Do you consider that worth reading?

I've read things like that before and everytime I have questions and disagreements about what is said. That's why I think it's rude to say read HERE because I'm obviously not worth the time to discuss it with. I feel to understand ones point it's best to take it in small pieces and discuss and add more pieces.

glassjester

Was this where you left off?

Which one do you hold to be truth when the rcc and scripture contradict?

Well, they don't. If you perceive a contradiction between the two, it's worth seeking a better understanding of the Church's teaching. Without fail, you will find the two to be in harmony.

Marriage. To my knowlege scripture only gives one reason for divorce.

Matt. 19:9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

If the sexual union between the two spouses would itself be immoral (ie, same-sex, incest), then there is in fact no marriage. It was never a valid marriage to begin with, and the supposed "union" ought to be dissolved.

The rcc gives a whole list of acceptable reasons to break a marriage.

And in each case, it is due to the fact that no valid marriage had actually existed. The two were never married.

turbosixx

Well, they don't. If you perceive a contradiction between the two, it's worth seeking a better understanding of the Church's teaching. Without fail, you will find the two to be in harmony.
I'm gonna disagree here. Hopefully we can enter in healthy discussion about it.

If the sexual union between the two spouses would itself be immoral (ie, same-sex, incest), then there is in fact no marriage. It was never a valid marriage to begin with, and the supposed "union" ought to be dissolved.
Agreed but that is rarely the case for annulments done by the church. Scripture is sufficient to prove the two examples you listed as not being recognized by God. Both are sexually immoral.

And in each case, it is due to the fact that no valid marriage had actually existed. The two were never married.

I strongly disagree here. The marriage was recognized as valid up till the request and approval of annulment. Also the reasons the "church" gives for annulments are not for "sexual immorality".
For example, is this grounds for a marriage that the church vetted and performed to have never really happened:
Present condition (Canon 1102, sec. 2)
You or your spouse attached a present condition to your decision to marry and that condition did not exist, e.g., I will marry you provided you don't have any debt.

Also, it make me wonder how many marriages the church has performed that don't seek annulment that "never really were married". For example:
Past condition (Canon 1102, sec. 2)R
You or your spouse attached a past condition so your decision to marry and that condition did not exist; e.g., I will marry you provided that you have never been married before, I will marry you provided that you have graduated from college.

Let's say you find out your spouse lied and didn't graduate from college. Did the marriage happen or not?

Cruciform

If Cruciform would support his points with scripture and then explain why he understands it to support his point I would gladly read that.
Then you should have gladly read all the sources I've cited thus far, since they accomplish precisely what you just described. Again, your transparent excuse for avoiding this information is noted.

He uses other peoples work.
So do you. Indeed, every single time you post an opinion, your offering information that you have ultimately heard, learned, absorbed, and derived from other human beings. The formulation of one's theological beliefs, after all, do not occur in a vacuum. :nono:

I read one and pointed out error in it but he ignored it.
You demonstrated no actual "error," but merely offered the opinions of your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect in place of the authoritative teachings of Christ's one historic Church. The mere fact that Catholic doctrine happens to contradict your preferred sect's opinions certainly does not mean that Catholic teaching is "in error."

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

HisServant

and this is what we have come to expect from you

Huh? Cruciform's posted links never address the topic being discussed.. ever. So he either had a problem with the English language, is being intentionally obtuse or a computer bot.

It's like trying to debate with someone that lacks basic communication skills.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Huh? Cruciform's posted links never address the topic being discussed.. ever. So he either had a problem with the English language, is being intentionally obtuse or a computer bot.

It's like trying to debate with someone that lacks basic communication skills.

actually the attacks by the likes of you can be recognized by a computer
and
answered by a computer

they are all alike
and
frankly we get tired of answering them

HisServant

actually the attacks by the likes of you can be recognized by a computer
and
answered by a computer

they are all alike
and
frankly we get tired of answering them

Given that this board is primarily dedicated to Open Theism.... why does that suprise you and why do you think you should post here with immunity?

You are in enemy territory.... learn to live with it or leave.... no one here cares one iota about Roman Catholicism... yet you guys come here and cause unwanted trouble all the time.

And when you are called out for your idiocy.. you get offended.... its some of the more stupid behavior I have seen and makes people hate Catholics even more.