New Study Contradicts Religious Bias

PureX

SOURCE

Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds

Academics from seven universities across the world studied Christian, Muslim and non-religious children to test the relationship between religion and morality.

They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

“Overall, our findings ... contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others,” said the authors.

“More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularisation of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness – in fact, it will do just the opposite.”

The findings “robustly demonstrate that children from households identifying as either of the two major world religions (Christianity and Islam) were less altruistic than children from non-religious households”.

At the same time, the report said that religious parents were more likely than others to consider their children to be “more empathetic and more sensitive to the plight of others”.

If the adults are more judgmental and punitive oriented, why wouldn't their children be? This doesn't surprise me in the least.

PureX

SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL THE CHILD

You must teach the child to be responsible for his actions.
Yet violence still begets more violence. Judgement still begets judgment. And condemnation still brings more of the same.

Time for the religionists to let go of the old "eye for an eye" mentality, maybe, and try a little forgiveness. Before it's too late.

Huckleberry

Okay, come on. What a bogus study. How did they correct for cultural factors, considering their study drew upon 1,200 kids from 6 different countries? Considering how the vast majority of people who identify as one religion or another do not follow the basic tenets of the religion they identify themselves with, you don't think whether a child is Chinese or South African has a much greater impact on...everything? And passing out stickers as a method of measuring altruism? Bogus.

OCTOBER23

PUREX,

EVERYTHING IN BALANCE

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go:

and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

15 ¶ Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child;

but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

Quetzal

Okay, come on. What a bogus study. How did they correct for cultural factors, considering their study drew upon 1,200 kids from 6 different countries? Considering how the vast majority of people who identify as one religion or another do not follow the basic tenets of the religion they identify themselves with, you don't think whether a child is Chinese or South African has a much greater impact on...everything? And passing out stickers as a method of measuring altruism? Bogus.
That is the whole point. This is not a level playing field study. The purpose is to explore the idea that the cultural factors and upbringing have a definitive impact on the children. According to the study, religious backgrounds create the worst outcomes. :idunno: I am not really surprised.

PureX

PUREX,

EVERYTHING IN BALANCE

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go:

and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

15 ¶ Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child;

but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
Human understanding has advanced in the three thousand years since that was written. And we are no longer ancient Jews living in a desert with sheep and sticks as our companions. So I see no reason for us to dwell on such outdated and outmoded advice from people who are now long dead. I'm not saying they're always wrong, about everything, but I am saying they're clearly wrong about a good many things. And worshipping them as if they were the very voice of God was never a good idea.

Quetzal

what is his argument, other than "religious people are bad"?

and how is noticing that he's being judgmental "attacking" him?
Nope, his argument appears to be that...

"...children from households identifying as either of the two major world religions (Christianity and Islam) were less altruistic than children from non-religious households."

It is supported by the article/study provided. Stay on topic, you can do it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Nope, his argument appears to be that...

"...children from households identifying as either of the two major world religions (Christianity and Islam) were less altruistic than children from non-religious households."

It is supported by the article/study provided.

well, that's the argument the study makes

purex's commentary on it, on the other hand, is the same old predictable strawman crap he spews out every day:

"the adults are more judgmental and punitive oriented"
"Time for the religionists to let go of the old eye for an eye mentality"
"worshipping (ancient jews) as if they were the very voice of God was never a good idea"

PureX

They didn't have to correct for cultural factors, because they were comparing behaviors within their cultures. And it doesn't matter whether you think they were religious or not. What matters is that they think they are, and proclaimed themselves to be so.

And given those simple parameters, it turns out that the more religious people proclaimed themselves to be, the more judgmental and punative they tended to be in their actions toward others.

Why would anyone be surprised by this? It's clear as day even here on TOL. The more religious people are, the more they tend to pass judgment on others, and seek to see them punished for their 'sins', their crimes, their "heresies", and their general disobedience to religious authority.

Quetzal

well, that's the argument the study makes

purex's commentary on it, on the other hand, is the same old predictable strawman crap he spews out every day:

"the adults are more judgmental and punitive oriented"
"Time for the religionists to let go of the old eye for an eye mentality"
"worshipping (ancient jews) as if they were the very voice of God was never a good idea"
I think it is warranted because many religious people take the moral high ground and refuse to budge because they believe they are supported by a deity. It appears that this kind of belief may be harmful.

ok doser

I think it is warranted because many religious people take the moral high ground and refuse to budge because they believe they are supported by a deity.

that a very ambiguous statement

got anything specific?

It appears that this kind of belief may be harmful.

it appears? :freak:

you know nothing of this study, how it was conducted or what it's inherent and implicit biases are.

just a clickbait headline that you tend to agree with

be a little less gullible Q

Quetzal

that a very ambiguous statement

got anything specific?

it appears? :freak:

you know nothing of this study, how it was conducted or what it's inherent and implicit biases are.

just a clickbait headline that you tend to agree with

be a little less gullible Q
You can take shots at me all day, but until you provide counter evidence to the study is it nothing but hot air. :rolleyes:

ok doser

They didn't have to correct for cultural factors...

well, yeah, actually, they do

if they wanted to be taken seriously

if they just want to create an appealing headline that will sell advertising, then no, probably not

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
If the adults are more judgmental and punitive oriented, why wouldn't their children be? This doesn't surprise me in the least.
The question I raise is “Why should this be a surprise?”

I continually worry about the little children who are the innocent ones of the parents who enjoy spewing bile and condemnation of others on TOL.

This research just proves my point and makes me doubly sad.

Don’t these TOL predators know anything about the consequences of their ignorant and immature behavior?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
well, yeah, actually, they do

if they wanted to be taken seriously

if they just want to create an appealing headline that will sell advertising, then no, probably not
Denial. Which is completely understandable to me.

There have been times when I have deliberately shaken off my own responsibilities of living a just and moral life. I am certainly not proud of it--but at least God has given me the free will to recognize it.

This research has obviously come too close to home for you.

And, closer still, the biblical mandate that the sins of the fathers are visited on the children.