I think we should nation build

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
NONE OF THIS WAS OBAMA'S FAULT.

YEAH!...LEAVE BARRY ALONE!!!

crocker2007.jpg

So the moment you start spitting venom at Obama, and you ignore the fact that he inherited a massive screw up from Bush, you expose your own irrational bias, and render yourself disingenuous.

Pot-Kettle-Black

I'm sure you have extended the same courtesy to Bush. :rolleyes:

PureX

Pot-Kettle-Black

I'm sure you have extended the same courtesy to Bush. :rolleyes:
Bush invaded and occupied a foreign nation with no exit strategy, no discernible goal, and no legitimate reason to do so. It cost hundreds of thousands of lives, maimed millions of people, and it cost many billions of dollars that we did not have to spend. When Obama does something that catastrophic, I will blame Obama along with everyone else. This isn't a pot calling a kettle black, it's a pot calling the Sears Tower black.

The economic crash is not entirely Bush's fault, as it was Bill Clinton that repealed the Glass-Stegall Act, and Clinton that signed NAFTA, the two biggest reasons for the economy collapsing. However, Bush did nothing to stop it from happening, and when it did happen, he bailed out the very people who were directly responsible. (And so did Obama.)

kmoney

Hall of Fame
False! there is no mandate for America to deploy every time there is injustice in the world, and whether you or the rest of the neocons get it, those petty dictators keep the peace. This nation building crap has killed more people than it has saved, not to mention destabilized the entire world. Let people work out their own problems

I mostly agree with this but I think the last statement is a bit too dismissive. Do you think there is never a time when we should get involved?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
not many people seem to think we should have overthrown Saddam and all that

But i think we just didn't do it right. When we go in, we should just totally take over everything (to the winner go the spoils) and then, once there is no serious threat, we can hand things over

No serious threat.....I thought we had reached that point in Iraq and now look at it. Unless my memory is fuzzy. Though what we're seeing with ISIS doesn't stem from only Iraq.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Of course he was. And worse, he paid jihadists families to do damage that he couldn't. The only problem in Iraq is that the US left before Iraq could defend itself.

I disagree, Saddam was restricted to his country with financial sanctions and a no fly zone we enforced, and even if he was doing things that required action for our national security interests it did not require all out warfare & unseating the man that was foe to our common enemy Iran to accomplish. Bush's mistake was unseating Saddam, putting forth a pro Shiite government creating a greater Persia/Iran, Bush upset the power balance by taking down Iraq and the dominos continue to tumble but however, we do agree that leaving Iraq before it was stable was a bigger mistake which belongs solely to Obama, no matter what any of us think of the Iraq war.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
When Jimmy Carter overthrew the pro west/pro American Shah of Iran in favor of radical Islam, he helped build what we're seeing in the Middle East today.

Yes, we need to get pro American rulers back in power in the Middle East. Just don't think that they need our money (foreign aid) as well, cuz they don't.
1953 Iranian coup d'état

The 1953 Iranian coup d'état, known in Iran as the 28 Mordad coup, was the overthrow of the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh in favour of strengthening the monarchical rule of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi on 19 August 1953, orchestrated by the United Kingdom (under the name "Operation Boot") and the United States (under the name TPAJAX Project).

Mossadegh had sought to audit the books of the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC), a British corporation (now BP) and to change the terms of the company's access to Iranian petroleum reserves. Upon the refusal of the AIOC to co-operate with the Iranian government, the parliament (Majlis) voted to nationalize the assets of the company and expel their representatives from the country.

Following the coup in 1953, a government under General Fazlollah Zahedi was formed which allowed Mohammad-Rezā Shāh Pahlavi, the Shah of Iran (Persian for king), to rule the country more firmly as monarch. He relied heavily on US and UK support to hold on to power until his own overthrow in February 1979.

In August 2013, 60 years after the coup, the American Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) admitted that it was involved in both its planning and its execution, including the bribing of Iranian politicians, security and army high-ranking officials, as well as pro-coup propaganda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état
America's problem with Iran didn't start with the overthrow of the Shah, America's problems started in the 1950's when the US and the UK orchestrated the overthrow of a democratically elected government in Iran because of plans to nationalize that nation's oil after the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company refused to provide an audit of the books.

They replaced a democratically elected government with the SHAH and trained his state police (SAVAK) that tortured and murdered the opposition for decades.

lighthouse99

No serious threat.....I thought we had reached that point in Iraq and now look at it. Unless my memory is fuzzy. Though what we're seeing with ISIS doesn't stem from only Iraq.

human beings have the obligation to help those who cannot help themselves. If we had really helped Iraq to become a democracy when we had the chance, we would not have all the terrorism and evil we now have in that region (and others beyond it)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
America's problem with Iran didn't start with the overthrow of the Shah, America's problems started in the 1950's when the US and the UK orchestrated the overthrow of a democratically elected government in Iran because of plans to nationalize that nation's oil after the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company refused to provide an audit of the books.

They replaced a democratically elected government with the SHAH and trained his state police (SAVAK) that tortured and murdered the opposition for decades.

well, kinda

they replaced a democratically elected government that was flouting its own constitution and laws and was attempting to create a democratically elected dictatorship

and why call it "their" oil?

the anglo-iranian oil company did all the heavy lifting in terms of developing the resource - why shouldn't they be entitled to the rewards?

Last edited:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

You are correct, with the help of the British government, the Eisenhower administration overthrew Mohammad Mosaddegh (who was an ally of the Soviet Union...you've heard of the Soviet Union, they murdered over 100 million of their own people in less than a 100 year period), who held office from 1951-1953.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Mosaddegh

Evil people were executed when the Shah was in power, make no mistake about that. But you're not the least bit bothered that the theocrats that now run Iran have had a bloodbath since the Ayatollahs took over are you?

Khomeini fatwa 'led to killing of 30,000 in Iran'

CHILDREN as young as 13 were hanged from cranes, six at a time, in a barbaric two-month purge of Iran's prisons on the direct orders of Ayatollah Khomeini, according to a new book by his former deputy.

More than 30,000 political prisoners were executed in the 1988 massacre - a far larger number than previously suspected. Secret documents smuggled out of Iran reveal that, because of the large numbers of necks to be broken, prisoners were loaded onto forklift trucks in groups of six and hanged from cranes in half-hourly intervals.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ni-fatwa-led-to-killing-of-30000-in-Iran.html

Filthy barbarians.