What would make you Catholic?

Cruciform

Sorry to butt in, but this is a silly point to try to make.

Cruciform is saying his choice is man-made, but he chose an objectively true Church.

A fallible human can believe something that is infallibly true. Is that not possible?

Try this: What is 1 + 1?

A) 2 B) 4 C) 6

If you picked A, and I picked B, can I really claim that both our choices are equally valid since they were both made by fallible human minds?

Or is one of those fallible human choices (yours and mine) objectively correct?
:thumb:​

Cruciform

Because it is only a platitude at that point, which is what I am belaboring. It is you asserting one and then using some crafted language to humanize my decision. God is Sovereign over both. You expect to find an institution rather than a body, established by Christ. Such is an organizational expectation. Okay, you found what you were looking for. Great, this thread is about "why" I, particularly am not buying into the Catholic church or this line of thinking so that is why I restate. You are trying to assert something as a 'fact' that isn't seen as one, by me. -Lon
Post #539

Cedarbay

Because it is only a platitude at that point, which is what I am belaboring. It is you asserting one and then using some crafted language to humanize my decision. God is Sovereign over both. You expect to find an institution rather than a body, established by Christ. Such is an organizational expectation.

Okay, you found what you were looking for. Great, this thread is about "why" I, particularly am not buying into the Catholic church or this line of thinking so that is why I restate. You are trying to assert something as a 'fact' that isn't seen as one, by me. -Lon
This is a respectful post, Lon, and one I agree with.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

Sorry to butt in, but this is a silly point to try to make.

Cruciform is saying his choice is man-made, but he chose an objectively true Church.
But uses that designation as a club, regardless if he believes it is true or not. His is "the one true church set up by Jesus Christ" while all contenders are "recently man-made sects" as well as any other number of disqualifiers. His expectation is looking at organizations BUT I've given other churches in thread that have lasted as long as the Roman Catholic church has. Such is not overtly concerned with his disagreement on that point, and I really don't care much about 'recent,' but 'man-made' isn't recognizing a Sovereign God. It is a bit of mudsling, dirty politics. It is probably called for in the face of Protestant remarks and jibs, but I never use those.

A fallible human can believe something that is infallibly true. Is that not possible?

Try this: What is 1 + 1?

A) 2 B) 4 C) 6
One plus one, what? And are the answers categorical? I've sat in seats C before. This, not to be daft, but to explain that some things fit our expectations and this does not always mean they are the correct or only answer. In this case, we are talking about our expectation of churches. My faith is, speaking relative to Christ's church, new. So "recent" can apply, but I'm not thinking that is what Cruci means by it. He generally means that mine is not made or held together by Christ Jesus the Lord. That is a superiority complex waiting to happen and imho, doesn't serve anything or anyone on TOL. Neither does Protestant jibs and jibes, but again I don't do them and don't appreciate them. They tend to just offend for offense's sake.

If you picked A, and I picked B, can I really claim that both our choices are equally valid since they were both made by fallible human minds?
Because there is contention, yes. I chose "C" remember? It made both logical and practical sense at that point.
Or is one of those fallible human choices (yours and mine) objectively correct?
Both are objective. The friction here is what is being asked. If all a Catholic wants to do on TOL is assert Catholic superiority on things that aren't mutual concerns, then you might as well start a thread "King of the Hill against all takers" and "My Church is better than your Church."

THIS thread asked why I wasn't Catholic. I'm attempting to continue to explain 'why' that is true. Where is there a need of "recent human-made" in a discussion of why I am not Catholic? Is it supposed to get me to say "Oh! You are right! How could I follow this one when your's makes so much more sense and has been around a lot longer than mine?"

In fact, I see mine as part of that heritage. The only assumption I think, that has meaning, is why I'm separate, because as far as legacy, I have the same one. I come from a Catholic church BUT I don't believe where I attend is as important as Who I belong to (which is my understanding of what church really means). Someone else wrote similar, I'm again, just trying to explain why I am not a Catholic, why the RC won't change to incorporate us, and why that isn't meaningful anyway.

glassjester

So what I mean by Formal sufficiency is 1) a bit different than most because I do believe we must be correctable and so orthodox if not Orthodox.

Corrected by whom? What are the teachings of little-o orthodoxy?

2) In that sense, yes, Formal sufficiency as well, but not alone. The student must share all things with his/her teacher.

What if two teachers disagree?

Lon

Corrected by whom? What are the teachings of little-o orthodoxy?
To be honest, I'm not hung up on little o big O. The Catholic and Orthodox churches tend to be. To me, it is a matter of which doctrines are biblical, hence orthodox. I do understand you come from different expectations regarding what O/orthodox is.

What if two teachers disagree?
John Mark went with Barnabas. Acts 15:36-39 God was Sovereign over that disagreement, just as He was over the RC and EO split etc.

glassjester

To be honest, I'm not hung up on little o big O. The Catholic and Orthodox churches tend to be. To me, it is a matter of which doctrines are biblical, hence orthodox.

The problem with this ideology is that two contradictory doctrines can be equally "biblical." Every heresy has its proof texts.

Maybe a specific example would be worth talking about. What's the biblical-hence-orthodox teaching on infant baptism?

Acts 15:36-39

Was that a teaching/doctrinal disagreement?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The problem with this ideology is that two contradictory doctrines can be equally "biblical." Every heresy has its proof texts.

Maybe a specific example would be worth talking about. What's the biblical-hence-orthodox teaching on infant baptism?

Was that a teaching/doctrinal disagreement?
Show me the scriptural basis for infant baptism.

everready

INFANT BAPTISM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SENDING MORE PEOPLE TO HELL

INFANT BAPTISM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SENDING MORE PEOPLE TO HELL

INFANT BAPTISM IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SENDING MORE PEOPLE TO HELL THAN ANY OTHER RELIGIOUS ERROR.

Infant baptism appeared in the Christian church history around the Second Century, coming from the pagan influences of Baal Worship, as we will show later, but It came about as a result of the doctrine of baptismal regeneration - the teaching that baptism is essential to salvation; or, if you want to turn it around, that water baptism saves the soul (or at least is a part of a person's salvation).

Consequently, as the teaching of baptismal regeneration started being propagated, it was natural for those holding to this doctrine to believe that everyone, should be baptized as soon as possible. Thus, baptism of infants still in the innocent state (and as yet unaccountable for their actions) came into vogue among many of the churches.

Once again I state: These two grievous errors baptismal regeneration and infant baptism - have probably caused more people to go to hell than any other doctrine.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False Doctrines/infant_baptism_exposed.htm

everready

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You asked.

And got two quick answers.

And... crickets.

I did not ask if the Lutherans were right. I asked if it was scriptural to which Crux. immediately brought in one of his websites instead of relying on his own scholarship.

Cedarbay

I did not ask if the Lutherans were right. I asked if it was scriptural to which Crux. immediately brought in one of his websites instead of relying on his own scholarship.
We've been having a discussion about baptism at another forum and I was surprised at the number of people who believe in credo (believers) baptism only. Seems to be mostly Baptist or Congregational, true?

HisServant

You asked.

And got two quick answers.

And... crickets.

No... we got a link with zero scholarship and just a list of unrelated verses.

Prove to me why baptism is still applicable today.... scripture indicates when water baptism was to be stopped... yet protestant and catholic alike still do it.. why?

Last edited: