17 Year Old Shot And Killed By Cop

PureX

I would teach my kid before they ever turned 16 to have your license and insurance (I have never been asked for registration, they can run that).

I would tell my kid to keep their hands visible, don't move around, turn off the radio and do everything the officer tells you. So now I blame the parents, I just wanna blame things. I'll go to my grave believing the officer should have handled the WHOLE thing differently, he's the adult.
You are right.

And kids often don't do what we'd hope they do, and what we've taught them to do. But that doesn't mean they deserve to die for it.

In almost all these unreasonable shootings that we are now being made aware of thanks to camera phones and the internet, a common theme seems to be apparent. Cops are taught to "take control" of the situation, immediately, and to keep control of it. Which is understandable. But it is this insistence on complete control that is causing the cops to overreact to any perceived 'disobedience' on the part of the public. And a lot of people are being beaten and killed by cops because of this.

Now that we have been seeing the results of this training protocol, I think we need to seriously reassess it, and apply some means of reasonable measured response when a citizen does not immediately comply with an officer's request, or when they are rude, belligerent, paranoid, or whatever. Because none of these behaviors warrant death, or a beating.

Granite

Hall of Fame
So.... I'm trying to understand your position on this Granite.

That the cop's a murderer and got away with it like they usually do.

Are you suggesting the kid did the right thing in this situation?

a) leaves basketball game at church
b) thinks a car is driving dangerously
c) lies on the ground
d) gets tased by maniac
e) gets shot by maniac seven times over four seconds--seriously, count that out loud

The cop's at fault here, to put it mildly.

PureX

c) lies on the ground
d) gets tased by maniac
e) gets shot by maniac seven times over four seconds--seriously, count that out loud

In this particular instance I would call it premeditated murder, because the cop shut off his body camera, and then shot an unarmed citizen 7 times.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... the cop shut off his body camera

proof?

, and then shot an unarmed citizen 7 times.

false

the kid had arms

he used them to do this to the cop:

635701645832783601-B9317769699Z.1-20150617180724-000-G66B40OO8.1-0.png

2D7AAC2700000578-3275534-image-a-8_1445005367818.jpg

Granite

Hall of Fame
In this particular instance I would call it premeditated murder, because the cop shut off his body camera, and then shot an unarmed citizen 7 times.

The cop did literally nothing right throughout this entire situation. He created the situation to begin with.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

c) lies on the ground
d) gets tased by maniac

You forgot the only facts that mattered....
b2) Refused to show identification and registration.
c2) Physically resisted being handcuffed

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The cop did literally nothing right throughout this entire situation. He created the situation to begin with.
You don't have any idea as to what is right (i.e., protocol) for a police officer in a situation like this.

You are speaking from a position of complete lack of knowledge.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Refused to show identification and registration.

Should this be considered a capital crime?

Physically resists being handcuffed

Same question.

The cop decided to bully, intimidate, then brutalize and shoot a teenager coming home from a basketball game.

Part of the reason we're in the mess we find ourselves is the instant assumption that the police virtually never (if ever) make mistakes, coupled with victim blaming and a refusal to see abuse of power for what it is. Authority figures get away with murder because we let them. Worse, we cheer them on.

When we ask with exasperation why more good people throughout history did nothing in the face of oppression we should just read stories like this and measure our responses.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Should this be considered a capital crime?
No.

Same question.

The cop decided to bully, intimidate, then brutalize and shoot a teenager coming home from a basketball game.

Part of the reason we're in the mess we find ourselves is the instant assumption that the police can never, ever make mistakes, coupled with victim blaming and a refusal to see abuse of power for what it is. Authority figures get away with murder because we let them. Worse, we cheer them on.
Once you start fighting with an officer you are likely to get shot.

Nothing prior to that fact ready matters at that point. If an old lady is jaywalking and an officer starts to give her a summons, and then she punches the officer and begins to fight with him, she might get shot and killed. And it would be justified.

That doesn't mean that jaywalking is a capital offense.... instead it means that physically fighting with an officer is a stupid move that will likely result in your death.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Once you start fighting with an officer you are likely to get shot.

And had the officer not provoked this situation this wouldn't have happened.

When we operate under the assumption that the police are largely blameless and rarely if ever make mistakes, they can pretty much do whatever they want and keep getting away with it.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And had the officer not provoked this situation this wouldn't have happened.
The officer didn't provoke the situation. The kid provoked the situation in three ways....

- He refused to show his license and registration
- He refused to allow himself to be cuffed
- He attempted to fight the officer

Granite

Hall of Fame
The officer didn't provoke the situation.

The kid flashed his beams because he thought the cop's brights were on. (He might not have even realized he'd flashed a cop car.) If the officer had gone on his way he wouldn't have killed anyone that night.

WizardofOz

This could be a new revenue steam for police departments all over...install headlights that are extrememly bright and pull over every car that flashes their high beams at them.

Granite

Hall of Fame
This could be a new revenue steam for police departments all over...install headlights that are extrememly bright and pull over every car that flashes their high beams at them.

Well this is what it boils down to--they're bag men and serve more often than not to shake people down and just get their money. If we expected more out of them other than being hassled for penny ante garbage, things might be a little different.

Quetzal

The video is sickening. Obviously the officer's patience was tried. I get that. But when he had the kid on the ground and had a position of physical dominance, there was absolutely no reasonable cause to open fire. None, at all. This is a real shame.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The video is sickening. Obviously the officer's patience was tried. I get that. But when he had the kid on the ground and had a position of physical dominance, there was absolutely no reasonable cause to open fire. None, at all. This is a real shame.

Seven times in four seconds. Count that out loud.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

I realize that this is one big joke to you Aaron, but for those who take things like this seriously, here is the news release from Eaton County Michigan Prosecuting Attorney Douglas R. Lloyd.

Since you're a big defender of marijuana legalization, here is the part of the news release that talks about the toxicology report:

Toxicology testing reported low levels of THC, the active ingredient in marihuana, and caffeine. The THC and THC-COOH levels are consistent with someone who had been using marihuana over a period of time, and that the active THC level (7. 2
ng/mL) suggests that Deven last used marihuana within 3- 4 hours or sooner. The THC metabolite numbers (28.6 ng/mL from blood and 293 ng/mL from urine) are consistent with recent smoking. A pill bottle labeled "Green Crack, 90% Sativa /10% Indicia, 1 gram" was found in the car's arm rest. A partially smoked handrolled
cigarette containing an unknown substance was found inside this pill bottle.

http://www.eatoncounty.org/images/D...ney/Press_Releases/Guilford_Press_Release.pdf

Now if you want to tell us how marijuana doesn't cause violence, I'll gladly pull up the video from a few pages ago talking about how it often causes psychosis in teenagers.

GuySmiley

He didn't shut off the body camera, maybe the video you watched ended, but I saw it where it was on the whole time, the video I watched ended when backup arrived.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The kid flashed his beams because he thought the cop's brights were on. (He might not have even realized he'd flashed a cop car.) If the officer had gone on his way he wouldn't have killed anyone that night.

According to the deceased's father and girlfriend, it looks like he went looking for a fight.

Deven's father and girlfriend reported that, in the days and weeks preceding this traffic stop, Deven was focused on YouTube videos of police encounters with citizens. While not expressing harsh anti-police rhetoric, Deven was supporting the videos as examples of police violating people' s rights and "how bad cops are". They
said that Deven's focus on these videos was recent, sudden, out of the ordinary, and may have influenced Deven in this traffic stop. His father reported that, in recent days, he tried to counsel his son that these videos did not show how all police acted.
Deven' s act of recording the traffic stop may have been intended for YouTube. Deven held his phone to focus on Sgt. Frost and narrated "This is what American..." as Sgt. Frost ordered him to put the phone down and move his arms to his side so he could be handcuffed.

You do realize that you're responsible for this culture of death don't you Granite?