Introduction Stephen Muires

Muires

...always a mistake to place experiences above the written word of God

Normally I would disagree with you, but in this case it's more complex. Swedenborgians consider the writings of Swedenborg the written word of God. I myself don't anymore, but still the argument is infinitely regressible. Once upon a time Moses had experience and then someone, maybe Moses himself, wrote it down and it became the written word of God.

So actually I do disagree with you here :)

Muires

YES, All those who have held these beliefs have been
addressed here on this Forum to the Poster themselves
and shown them the Errors of believing in these things.

Have you addressed this correction also to Abraham, Moses, Jeremiah, Jonah, Jacob, Micaiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Paul, John? (the list is too long to continue here)

These guys saw visions, spoke to angels, visited hell.

Mr October23, you yourself have a vision too. It's called tunnel vision.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well that's really nice AMR. But do you not realize that when I click that link I am faced with a message that says: "You may not vote on this poll." ??

I'm getting irritated.
Keep at it. A minimum number of posts is needed beforehand.

AMR

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Registered Plus......

Registered Plus......

Well that's really nice AMR. But do you not realize that when I click that link I am faced with a message that says: "You may not vote on this poll." ??

I'm getting irritated.

Hi Muires,

See the member level benefits and allowances in this thread here (see 2nd post especially). You should be up to 'Registered Plus' level now, having at least 25 posts and being a member for at least 7 days,...so you have all those 'features' current to you now.

Check it out :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
...always a mistake to place experiences above the written word of God

This is a relative statement of course, depending on how you 'qualify' your terms. 'Experience' is all we have to go by as far as our measure or perception of reality, so its subject to modification.

Universal laws and principles are ever at the heart or underlying substratum of creation, and that which is governing our experience....these remain unchanging, while our concepts or opinions about anything may fluctuate.

If something in the Bible or any other religious writing is true in principle, being a true axiom or law, then it holds, although religious writings have also a fair measure of human invention, fancy and mythology as well, some books more than others.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Normally I would disagree with you, but in this case it's more complex. Swedenborgians consider the writings of Swedenborg the written word of God. I myself don't anymore, but still the argument is infinitely regressible. Once upon a time Moses had experience and then someone, maybe Moses himself, wrote it down and it became the written word of God.

So actually I do disagree with you here :)

Swedenborg I do not know, Moses I know what is written, there was nothing in the least bit mystical about Moses...he did not have a vision of God in the burning bush, God actually appeared to him in the burning bush...there is nothing to be interpreted, only believed.

God is amazingly unmystical in His dealings with men....the devil is VERY mystical.

What I say is if Swedebo's experiences agree with what is written well and good....if not he is to be abandoned.

fzappa13

Swedenborg was an interesting cat by any estimation. I think his years long interest in the more esoteric of the Masonic endeavors of his time likely played a large role in what would be his later writings and beliefs. I have found the Bible to be in agreement with itself though I am aware many, if not most, pare away that which discomfits them. Still others argue for a separate and unique revelation concerning it. I have learned to steer clear of such. Though there is no harm in investigating something there is potential harm in ingesting it. You shouldn't put everything you pick up in your mouth.

Last edited: