ECT The 5 major warnings to Jewish believers in the Book of Hebrews

ZacharyB

Hebrews 2:1-4 … The danger of neglecting so great a salvation and drifting away
“Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.
For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, how shall we escape IF we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?”

Hebrews 3:6--4:11 … A whole lot of dangers (I count 7)
“… Christ is a Son over His own house, whose house we are, IF we hold fast the confidence
and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end … Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God … lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end, while it is said: “Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion.” For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief. Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. … Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience … Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.”
• Please note that disobedience is equated with unbelief, i.e. true belief demands obedience.

Hebrews 6:4-8 … The danger of falling away after having been partakers of the Holy Spirit
“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, IF they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; but IF it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned.”

Hebrews 10:26-39 … The danger of sinning & drawing back to perdition after receiving truth
“For IF we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, ‘Vengeance is Mine, I will repay’, says the Lord. And again, ‘The Lord will judge His people.’ It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. … Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise: ‘For yet a little while, and He who is coming will come and will not tarry. Now the just shall live by faith; but IF anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.’ But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.”
• In this last sentence, please note Paul’s usual tactful method of softening his blows with encouragement, edification, exhortation (and in this case, he is also being hopeful).

Hebrews 12:25-29 … The danger of refusing God who has spoken from heaven
“See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape, IF we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, ‘Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven.” Now this, ‘Yet once more’, indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. For our God is a consuming fire.”

revpete

How is that being rude?
The point is: OSAS is a false doctrine from the very pits of hell.
Many dozens of warnings are NOT in the NT just for comic relief.

So you saying that one can be truly saved ie regenerated and sealed by The Holy Spirit, have their names written in The Lamb's book of life from before the foundation of the world and be lost? If that's so then why did God put their names in The Lamb's book of life written before the foundation of the world in the first place? Did He get it wrong or are you a devotee of open theism?

Pete 👤

Derf

If that's so then why did God put their names in The Lamb's book of life written before the foundation of the world in the first place?

Maybe there's a lost distinction here, Pete. What you have described could only be called "Always Saved", rather than "Once Saved Always Saved".

Derf

Correct PJ the Great, they weren't saved yet.

Who is "they"? The Hebrews? Then was the author of Hebrews not saved either?

You know, the one who wrote:
[Heb 2:1-4 KJV] 1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let [them] slip. 2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; 3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 4 God also bearing them ["them" added by translators] witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

SaulToPaul 2

Who is "they"? The Hebrews? Then was the author of Hebrews not saved either?

You know, the one who wrote:
[Heb 2:1-4 KJV] 1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let [them] slip. 2 For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; 3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; 4 God also bearing them ["them" added by translators] witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Right. They are all saved at the Second Coming.

Derf

Right. They are all saved at the Second Coming.

Interesting idea. Does that include all Hebrews? Like Peter and Paul? Or just the ones that do not follow Christ in this life (assuming there were quite a number of them that were reading the letter to the Hebrews)?

And if they don't follow Christ in this life, does that mean there is still a chance for people after they die? Or only certain people?

ZacharyB

So you saying that one can be truly saved ie regenerated and sealed by The Holy Spirit, have their names written in The Lamb's book of life from before the foundation of the world and be lost? If that's so then why did God put their names in The Lamb's book of life written before the foundation of the world in the first place? Did He get it wrong or are you a devotee of open theism?
I'm saying you should take the obvious NT Scriptures,
which teach the possible loss of salvation,
and show why they do not mean what they actually say!

They are so obvious, that I just do not believe that
the Holy Spirit really has to reveal the meanings.

As for names in the Book of Life, Scripture says they can be removed!
As thou very well knowest.

Everywhere I look, I see members of the false Laodicean church (Rev 3)
(which Jesus SO harshly criticized, threatened, and condemned) ...
who refuse to give up the very popular feel-good satanic deceptions
of OSAS and the pre-trib rapture doctrine.

revpete

I'm saying you should take the obvious NT Scriptures,
and show why they do not mean what they say!

As for names in the Book of Life, Scripture says they can be removed!
As thou very well knowest.

They can be removed? Please tell me where although I could hazard a guess. BTW I wasn't stating my position just asking a question as THOU very well knowest. 😉

Pete 👤

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
These warnings are to ZacharyB

He is the one who has gone back from believing in the cross, he has lost his first confidence and now has turned back to keeping the commandments to be saved.

Holding the cross up to open shame....in danger of trampling underfoot the precious blood.

The reason he is snagged on these scriptures and can't get away from them is because God is trying to warn him.

He also has a root of bitterness....him and LA

Last edited:

ZacharyB

They can be removed? Please tell me where ...
Check out "blotted out" ... and check out the rhyme!

• “For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should
abstain from sexual immorality (etc. etc.) … For God did not call us
to uncleanness, but in holiness. Therefore he who rejects this
does not reject man, but God” (1 Thes 4:3,7-8)

Yes, we certainly do have quite a few here who reject God and His warnings!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So you saying that one can be truly saved ie regenerated and sealed by The Holy Spirit, have their names written in The Lamb's book of life from before the foundation of the world and be lost?

Scripture doesn't say that.

Jesus said, "He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life..."
(Revelation 3:5 NKJV)

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
These warnings are to ZacharyB

He is the one who has gone back from believing in the cross, he has lost his first confidence and now has turned back to keeping the commandments to be saved.

Holding the cross up to open shame....in danger of trampling underfoot the precious blood.

The reason he is snagged on these scriptures and can't get away from them is because God is trying to warn him.

He also has a root of bitterness....him and LA

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

ZacharyB

Yes, the hatred that comes forth towards one
who is just quoting Scripture is quite amazing!

The NT teaches us:
hatred = murder = condemned to hell

If anyone would like an NT, I'd be happy to send one to you.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Yes, the hatred that comes forth towards one
who is just quoting Scripture is quite amazing!

The NT teaches us:
hatred = murder = condemned to hell

If anyone would like an NT, I'd be happy to send one to you.

I believe those scriptures, they are directed at you.

You are departing the faith, the simple message of salvation at the cross.