Pharmekia

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrakeM

Revelation 9:21 nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Greek word there, Pharmakeia

I think drugs would have been a better translation, than sorceries.
The bible says magic. People who believe in the bible are constantly coming up with new and creative ways to interpret the bible so that it will make sense and stop referring to sorcery and witches and the universe being made in six days. I'm much more of a literalist. I reject the bible for what it is rather than accepting it for what it isn't.

Now as for your bible passage, don't worry. No one is using sorcery or magical powers.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Revelation 9:21 nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Greek word there, Pharmakeia

(Greek: φαρμακεία) is the Greek word for pharmacy, which is the practice and making of medication and vitamins.[1][n 1] It also refers to the making of spell-giving potions, or alchemical potions (or elixirs) believed to have transforming powers, such as the power to extend life, boost energy, or enhance the mind.​

I think drugs would have been a better translation, than sorceries.

The bible says magic. People who believe in the bible are constantly coming up with new and creative ways to interpret the bible so that it will make sense and stop referring to sorcery and witches and the universe being made in six days. I'm much more of a literalist. I reject the bible for what it is rather than accepting it for what it isn't.

Now as for your bible passage, don't worry. No one is using sorcery or magical powers.
It's Greek to you. :idunno:

See:

Re 9:21 J. Vernon McGee

TrakeM

It's Greek to you. :idunno:

See:

Re 9:21 J. Vernon McGee
No. There's nothing hard to understand about it. When you take it for what it is, it's easy to understand what it says, and what it says is repulsive. The way it gets complicated is when you look for some way to make it not say factually inaccurate and repulsive things rather than just taking it at face value.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[φαρμακεία] No. There's nothing hard to understand about it. When you take it for what it is, it's easy to understand what it says, and what it says is repulsive. The way it gets complicated is when you look for some way to make it not say factually inaccurate and repulsive things rather than just taking it at face value.

:zman: Are you a pothead? Re 9:21 :Shimei:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Thank you for your gay sex story, but that's not where I was going. I was just pointing out that using a natural plant in its natural form is not sorcery.

I would have thought that only Connie could find a way to make marijuana all about homosexuality.

Nazaroo

Retard.

Every Greek on the planet knows that pharmekia means drug dealing.

Its where you get "pharmacy" from.

Its only Roman Catholic twits who translate it "sorcery",
because they don't want to give up their lucrative drug dealing business.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Oh so drug users never claim or have claimed that lsd and other drugs makes them more focused or "expands their mind"

You dont know what you are talking about, the very word refers to drug use and drug dealing.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I would have thought that only Connie could find a way to make marijuana all about homosexuality.

Connie explains:
Drug use 'seven times higher' among gays

Makes sense. So your closet is busier than we thought. Or at least a little smokier.

PureX

Prohibition didn't work. We already know this. Surely some creative minds can come up with solutions to reducing a nation's consumption of alcohol or drugs without resorting to prohibitive statutes? It isn't only the law that should concern itself with the welfare of citizens, it is also the schools, the colleges, the employers, the doctors and of course parents. For example a zero tolerance policy in colleges and universities would hit the most popular arena where drugs are sold.
Isn't "zero tolerance" just another prohibition? All you're really saying is that instead of the state prohibiting the use of recreational substances, everyone else should be doing it.

What sense is there in that?

Why don't we examine the desire for these things, and see if we can find a way of combating them that way. I was a chronic alcoholic for many years. I though I couldn't live without the stuff, or be happy in any way without it, even if I could live sober. But I was completely wrong. Once I got sober, and understood that I had to live that way or die, I began to learn how to enjoy living life without it. And in fact life can be very enjoyable without the enhancement of chemical substances.

I think our culture promotes consumption as the only pathway to happiness so persistently, and so unrelentingly, that a lot of people have come to believe it without even thinking about it. They really believe that happiness comes from outside themselves, in the form of toys, or drugs, or sex, or fame, or power, or adventure, or … on and on.

Would it be so outrageous for there to be a curriculum on personal mental health maintenance in grade and high schools to go along with general physical health, hygiene, and social interaction issues? After all, these are pretty important factors in the well-being of any human life. At least as important as learning to read, write, and reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.