Yoda and the Arc of the Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhy

Only Bob has serial eyes

Only Bob has serial eyes

Starting at 15:55 into the program, Bob talks about the impossibility of the evolution of vision. He refers to round 9 of the Battle Royale Debate where he discusses the encoding of vision into symbols, and the difficulty of extracting meaningful information from the encoded symbols. In the show he says:
When photons hit your eyes they get translated or encoded into symbols, and they go thru your optic nerve to your brain and your brain has to decode the symbolic logic. And the laws of physics have no symbolic logic functions so vision could not come about by evolution.
This is one of the clear examples that shows that Bob is not above throwing out arguments that have been answered many times over by evolutionists. From Darwin on, the issue of the evolution of vision has been studied, and is one of the best examples of the stages of evolutionary development still being found in animals today. For those who are seeking for reasons to discredit evolution, this is one of the favorite dead issues to dig up again and again.

Bob, in spite of his self-proclaimed status as scientifically literate, is in fact either miserably ignorant of real science, or blatantly dishonest. On the issue of the encoding of signals in the optic nerve, I have seldom seen a more distorted representation of the real way it works. Bob claims to have worked in computers for a while, so I would expect him to understand the differences between computer type of information that he used to illustrate his point in round 9 of the debate (serial data) and the massively parallel processing of the optic system. In the optic nerve, each nerve fiber serves a very small part of the retina, and carries what is basically a signal indicating how much light is hitting that spot on the retina. It could be considered as a simple number, with a value from 0 to some maximum, say 100. Each other spot on the retina likewise sends a “light level” number down its associated nerve fiber. At no time is it all jumbled together into a single stream as Bob’s silly example pretends. The brain continuously compares the signal strength of adjacent retinal spots, and can thusly differentiate things like flesh from clothes. Let Bob draw out a matrix with the darkness of each spot determined by the light intensity of the corresponding light on the retina, much as the brain does. His jumble of information will suddenly turn into very meaningful patterns.

It is clear why in the opening credits to his show he qualifies himself as “self-proclaimed”. Neither God nor science are on his side.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Additionally, Enyart misuses probability.

Probabilties are useless to predicting things that have already happened. The probability for an event that has already occurred is always 100%.

Enyart has never yet demonstrated his deity is making or creating anything. Evolution is still a workable model until something that better fits the observable facts is produced.

Stratnerd

Probabilties are useless to predicting things that have already happened. The probability for an event that has already occurred is always 100%.
:up: :chuckle:

then you simply need to determine if it did or not happen using other lines of evidence.

Did God poof eyes into existance? All we need to know is how God goes about poofing and see if eyes corroborate it. - that's all, quite easy.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do we all realize that ThePhy is saying the same thing as Bob when he says this?
In the optic nerve, each nerve fiber serves a very small part of the retina, and carries what is basically a signal indicating how much light is hitting that spot on the retina. It could be considered as a simple number, with a value from 0 to some maximum, say 100. Each other spot on the retina likewise sends a “light level” number down its associated nerve fiber.
And we all realize that ThePhy never actually addresses the point Bob makes?

And one more thing. Does ThePhy realize that parallel processing is harder than serial processing?

Tye Porter

Walking thru the swamp
and what did I see?
A wrinkled little Muppet looking at me
It was Yoda.
Y-O-D-A Yoda.

ThePhy

Yorzik's single optic fiber eyes

Yorzik's single optic fiber eyes

From Yorzhik:
Do we all realize that ThePhy is saying the same thing as Bob when he says this?

“In the optic nerve, each nerve fiber serves a very small part of the retina, and carries what is basically a signal indicating how much light is hitting that spot on the retina. It could be considered as a simple number, with a value from 0 to some maximum, say 100. Each other spot on the retina likewise sends a “light level” number down its associated nerve fiber.”
Maybe I missed it, so would you point out to me in Bob’s description where he talks about “each nerve fiber serving a small part of the retina”? It is very clear from his example of his image that he is considering the optical signals as a serial stream, with the entire data stream going down a single path. In fact the optic nerve is a relatively massive nerve, specifically because of the number of fibers it contains.
If you are sure, then rest secure in your delusion. I hope you never become an optic physician.
And one more thing. Does ThePhy realize that parallel processing is harder than serial processing?
So? Both creationists and scientists have known for a long time that the brain is an incredible parallel processor. Harder or not, that is the way it works.

Tye Porter

Originally posted by Turbo

I know that song, but those aren't the words. :nono:

• I met him in a swamp down in Dagoba
    Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda
    S O D A, soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
    I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "Yoda"
    Y O D A, Yoda
    Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda

Well, I've been around, but I ain't never seen
    A guy who looks like a muppet, but he's wrinkled and green
    Oh, my Yoda
    Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda

Well, I'm not dumb, but I can't understand
    How he can lift me in the air just by raising his hand
    Oh, my Yoda
    Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda

Well, I left home just a week before
    And I've never ever been a Jedi before
    But Obi Wan, he set me straight, of course
    He said, "Go to Yoda and he'll show you the Force"

Well I'm not the kind that would argue with Ben
    So it looks like I'm gonna start all over again
    With my Yoda

Yoda

So I used the Force
    I picked up a box
    I lifted some rocks
    While I stood on my head
    Well, I won't forget what Yoda said

He said, "Luke, stay away from the darker side
    And if you start to go astray, let the Force be your guide"
    Oh, my Yoda
    Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda

"I know Darth Vader's really got you annoyed
    But remember, if you kill him, then you'll be unemployed"
    Oh, my Yoda
    Yo-yo-yo-yo Yoda

Well, I heard my friends really got in a mess
    So I'm gonna have to leave Yoda again
    But I know that I'll be coming back some day
    I'll be playing this part 'till I'm old and gray

The long-term contract that I had to sign
    Says I'll be making these movies till the end of time
    With my Yoda

jhodgeiii

Originally posted by Zakath

Additionally, Enyart misuses probability. The probability for an event that has already occurred is always 100%.

Enyart did not seem to be discussing probability, but possibility. Furthermore, it appears that you are misusing probability yourself! Don't probabilities only pertain to predicting future events?

Even if above you meant to say possibility, as written this argument appears to be useless since the cause of the event isn't even specified. :think:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by jhodgeiii

Enyart did not seem to be discussing probability, but possibility. Furthermore, it appears that you are misusing probability yourself! Don't probabilities only pertain to predicting future events?
Probability, as used in this context, is the likelihood that an event will occur or (to be official)

• "A number expressing the likelihood that a specific event will occur, expressed as the ratio of the number of actual occurrences to the number of possible occurrences."

Thus, in the formal definition, possibility (whether something is possible) is, more or less, linked to probability (how likely it is that the something will happen) and the linkage of the two forms a ratio or fraction.

Note that this does not address the rationality of the possibility of an event. In other words an event could be determined to be impossible, making the denominator of the fraction or ratio zero and the expression would be mathematically meaningless.

The fact that the organ under discussion exists is evidence that it is possible for such an organ to exist. The probability that something will exist when it already does is 1 (100/100) or 100%.

jhodgeiii

Re: Only Bob has serial eyes

Re: Only Bob has serial eyes

Originally posted by ThePhy

On the issue of the encoding of signals in the optic nerve, I have seldom seen a more distorted representation of the real way it works.

Phy, perhaps Bob read your post(?) He addresses the eye again in his show entitled, "250 of 1000 so far!" at about the 27th minute. This time he didn't say "symbols," a word he used in his earlier show that baffled me also.

Please post your comments, if any, in the new thread. This argument seems more polished.

jhodgeiii

OK Zak. You originally stated:

The probability for an event that has already occurred is always 100%

However, now you're talking about an object, not an event:

The fact that the organ under discussion exists is evidence that it is possible for such an organ to exist.

You've done a bait-and-switch on me man, but I accept the latter argument. :)

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
I think that Bob was citing the probability that the eye organ could evolve by natural means using random trials. The fact that eyes exist does not make the probability 100%, that they evolved. The point is, the "fact" that the eye organ and vision exists, means that it must have been by some other method than the evolutionary process. The probability that vision could have evolved slowly over billions of generations with billions of trial life forms is a virtual zero. Those who believe in evolution must conclude that it did work "their way" and thus the probability is 100%. I think that was the point he was making?

jhodgeiii

Originally posted by jeremiah

Those who believe in evolution must conclude that it did work "their way" and thus the probability is 100%. I think that was the point he was making?

I presumed that was the point he was making. For the record, I'm not agreeing with that.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Please notice that everything stated in the following quote can be interpreted as either serial or parallel communications. Only somebody who didn't get the point would not see it.
When photons hit your eyes they get translated or encoded into symbols, and they go thru your optic nerve to your brain and your brain has to decode the symbolic logic. And the laws of physics have no symbolic logic functions so vision could not come about by evolution.
Can anyone point out where serial communications is dictated in the above passage? It is actually ambiguous enough to be either. That is because serial/parallel is not the point.

ThePhy said:
Maybe I missed it, so would you point out to me in Bob’s description where he talks about “each nerve fiber serving a small part of the retina”?
I didn't say your quotes were copies of one another. But what I did mean was that Bob could take your quote verbatim and plug it into his statement without changing the meaning of what he said at all.

It is very clear from his example of his image that he is considering the optical signals as a serial stream, with the entire data stream going down a single path. In fact the optic nerve is a relatively massive nerve, specifically because of the number of fibers it contains.
Again, Bob's statement is too ambiguous on the subject of serial vs. parallel to dictate either one. And besides, even if he did dictate that he considered optical signals as serially transmitted, it wouldn't matter to the point he was making.

If you are sure, then rest secure in your delusion.
Sticks and stones. Can you tell us what Bob's point was? He bluntly stated it, so you don't have too much reading to do to find it. Until you can show you actually addressed the point, I'll have to hold off checking myself in.

I hope you never become an optic physician.
Oh, but you'd love my bedside manner... “Hi, I'm doctor Yorzhik. If you're a Christian, raise your hand.”

Seriously, I think you'll find the part of Bob's statement that you think is claiming serial communications would actually be agreed upon by all (and I'm using “all” in the biblical tradition)optic physicians to be 100% accurate.

So? Both creationists and scientists have known for a long time that the brain is an incredible parallel processor. Harder or not, that is the way it works.
Are you serious? You just say “So?” to that? Okay, now I'm really curious if you can even figure out the point to Bob's statement.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by jeremiah

I think that Bob was citing the probability that the eye organ could evolve by natural means using random trials. The fact that eyes exist does not make the probability 100%, that they evolved.
True, in an absolutist sense. Enyart's and my discussion was regarding the model we each used to explain how the eye got there, not the plainly observable fact that it is there. His use of probability was incorrectly applied to the end result, not the method or model.

The point is, the "fact" that the eye organ and vision exists, means that it must have been by some other method than the evolutionary process. The probability that vision could have evolved slowly over billions of generations with billions of trial life forms is a virtual zero.
Probabilities are always based on assumptions. What assumptions to you use to derive this low (virtually zero) probability assessment?

Those who believe in evolution must conclude that it did work "their way" and thus the probability is 100%. I think that was the point he was making?
Both sides make assumptions. Laying out the assumptions is an important part of the argument that Enyart refused to participate in. He essentially claimed a "black box" labelled "goddidit" and merely ridicules any other belief without presenting anything more than another recitation of "god of the gaps".

Stratnerd

.... that the eye organ could evolve by natural means using random trials...
Does anyone know how this was done? It seems the appropriate method would be to start with the genome of the non-eyed ancestor and randomly mutate the genes, look for the phenotypic effects and to have selection work on it. Of course, you'd need an estimate of the selection coefficient for vision at each particular stage.

How else could someone calculate the probability that it happened?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Stratnerd
How else could someone calculate the probability that it happened?
I'll bet you $10 they did it the way Creationists usually do these things...

The time-honored Creationist W.A.G. in which they arbitrarily assign probabilities to a variety of alleged intermediate steps and then calculating the cumulative probability.

Status
Not open for further replies.