Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BChristianK

Knight,

If baptism isn’t for this dispensation, why did Paul baptize the Philippian jailer and his household?

Grace and Peace

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by BChristianK

Knight,

If baptism isn’t for this dispensation, why did Paul baptize the Philippian jailer and his household?

Grace and Peace
Great question!

How do I answer this with a short answer?

Well here goes..... Paul's dispensation of uncircumcision was dispensed in a progressive way.

How is that for short?

Now if you want more detail....

Here is an excerpt from... Water Baptism, What Is Its Place Today? ...by Bob Hill

What had changed? God had started a new program when He saved Paul. However, since God would only reveal the new message to the Apostle Paul, Peter was still preaching the same message he had always preached (Acts 10:34-43). Let’s review the situation at this point of our investigation.

1. At first there was only one baptism, John’s. It was necessary for salvation.

2. Then things started changing when Paul was saved.

3. The Holy Spirit fell on Gentiles before they were water baptized. Remember, water baptism was a sign to Jews to show Christ to them.

Sometime during his second missionary journey the Apostle Paul told the body of Christ about the baptisms which they knew of, in this manner: “I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius . . . . For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel” (1 Co 1:14,17 Read in context.). From this we see that Paul was not under the great commission which was given to the circumcision apostles.

In the same epistle, he wrote, “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body; whether Jews or Greeks” (1 Co 12:13). So, water baptism had changed from being the only baptism, and necessary for salvation, to a ritual which had faded away.

Next, another very important incident happened. God finished showing Israel that they had been set aside. He had done this in a progressive manner which reached its conclusion in Acts 28:28. It started in Acts 13:46, continued in Acts 18:6, and was concluded in Acts 28:28.

After Israel had been shown that they had been set aside, Paul was inspired by God to write Ephesians. In Ephesians 4:3-6, Paul wrote about the unity of the Spirit. He was writing about God’s dealings with Christians today. He wrote, “There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, two baptisms.” What? It doesn’t say two baptisms? It says there “is one baptism”? Yes, that’s right. Which one is it then? It must be Spirit baptism since the Holy Spirit is still sealing members into the body of Christ
The article can be read in its entirety here.

AROTO

Originally posted by Knight

Maybe when Turbo comes to visit we can all get together?

Get a head count and maybe we could score some AV's tickets!!! I understand you got connections?:eek: Not in July though!

Status
Not open for further replies.