New to site

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Biscuit

I'm looking forward to learning here and having debates. I was raised in a Prebsyterian church but like many, veered away from religion as a young man. Around age 28 "declared" (to myself anyway) my belief in God and started re-reading the Bible in an attempt to understand Christianity better. Today, at age 57, I consider myself to be a Christian, although so many of my beliefs do not seem to agree with so many of the denominational churches in my area (Please refer to "When is a person considered a Christian?" post under Religion).

For the past several months, I have started to study the Buddhist philosophy/religion. As I read and learn more, I find myself fascinated by it. In so many ways, in the teachings.. it just seems to "speak to my heart". This, as you might imagine, has caused me to re-evalute my Christian beliefs. I am very glad to say that my beliefs stand up to my scutiny and that I still consider myself a Christian.. although I have to admit that it seems that both have so much to offer. For reasons that I can't quite explain, I feel that I need to "choose" between the two (??) and that to study or pursue one, is to the detriment of the other.

I hope to explore these issues more. I guess you could say that I'm here more out of a personal journey of exploration... looking for answers and asking guestions.

Nydhogg

I feel that I need to "choose" between the two (??) and that to study or pursue one, is to the detriment of the other.

I hope to explore these issues more. I guess you could say that I'm here more out of a personal journey of exploration... looking for answers and asking guestions.

Study is never a detriment. When in doubt, study, study, study.

Study the Bible, study the Tripitaka and the Sutras, study Christian theologians and Buddhist scholars, study the Zen masters...

Knowledge, after all, is its own reward, and knowledge can bring clarity of mind. Your personal spirituality is certainly important enough to merit study :p.

Welcome!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well, you know, some biscuits are flaky.

Some are over done.

Some are canned.

But ultimately a biscuit is really only as good as what's in it.

Stay away from baloney as a rule.

Welcome aboard! :e4e:

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Prepare to have your "welcome" thread taken WAY off topic!! Enjoy the site, I just hopped in a week ago and have been thoroughly entertained so far!

the Biscuit

OK Town Heratic.. this biscuit is best with honey..preferably Sourwood ;)

And for the record, I consider baloney, spam and all vienna sausages as non food products.. and therefore should go nowhere near a biscuit ;)

Krsto

Buddism is the reason Asian kids who come to America always excell in school. Buddhism is what we might call a Prosperity Doctrine in Christianity. Being successful is an indicator that one is blessed by God so people will try harder to be blessed so they can say or feel in their heart that they are blessed by God.

Have you noticed that in your studies?

the Biscuit

Krsto.. not exactly sure what you mean by "being successful"? I have found that my previous definition of success has changed and that my study of Buddhism it part of the reason why. If we define success as growing in a spiritual sense, then yes, I could say that my study has lead to some success.

For me, so much of what I study in Buddhism seems to be the "missing part" that I don't see in Christianity. (Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place (?). I see it more as a "how to do it day to day" manual..looking at issues of your own happiness, learning about yourself, realizing that you are seeing an illusion.
("Trust not in the ways of the world" in the "Christian" world).

And perhaps ironicaly, I do not see it as a conflict to my Christian belief. I could see how trying to live by Buddhist ideals would be much the same (if not identical) to living a good Christian life. While I do not look to Buddhism for my salvation, I do see it as a way to help cope with the stress of modern life and to add a positive perspective on my view of the world.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
For reasons that I can't quite explain, I feel that I need to "choose" between the two (??) and that to study or pursue one, is to the detriment of the other.

maybe there is no explanation for this
and
atheists are able to go on without one
so
why not you?

welcome to TOL

the Biscuit

Chrysostom,.. "why not me"?.... because I believe in God and because I seek answers to so many questions. Perhaps I exaggerated. No, I don't have to choose.. but as I stated before, most religions want your "undivided attention" so to speak. Many imply that to even study another or try to learn from another is blasphemous (sp?).

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Chrysostom,.. "why not me"?.... because I believe in God and because I seek answers to so many questions. Perhaps I exaggerated. No, I don't have to choose.. but as I stated before, most religions want your "undivided attention" so to speak. Many imply that to even study another or try to learn from another is blasphemous (sp?).

I have been studying other religions for years
and
ignoring what others think about it even longer

Hi and welcome. Though you may be speaking to frustration (1 Cor 1:19 perhaps), your 'choice' is simple isn't it?
1. hold on to hope your Christ for salvation
2. choose Buddhism or any other 'way' and be condemned
i.e. I think a lot of baptized believers get frustrated, including me, when God doesn't seem to be opening up the heavens and showering us with his divine secrets and miraculous powers? Thus you can tend to get a bit frustrated sometimes, start wondering and maybe even doubts creep in and so some seek alternative faiths but the bible doesn't say it's going to be a cake Walk. Indeed, it perhaps implies quite the opposite > James 4:9? If so, and whether we like it or not, I think it is likely that most Christians were probably not pre-destined to become Super Apostles going throughout the world preaching, baptizing and layings hands on thousands of people performing various miracles etc. which, BTW, might also get them killed in His name? Which also perhaps begs the question: be careful what you pray for? Ergo, just because we don't have a warm fuzzy feeling of love every day along with God's tangible affirmation that everything's going to work out just fine, it might simply be because God hasn't blessed certain believers with the 'power' needed to be a Super Apostle or much else. Or, and perhaps more likely some might agree, most believers simply haven't been baptized by the Holy Spirit yet? In other words, if you're not out there on the front line and actually risking your life in His name and/or you're not even asking (Luke 11:13), then why would one expect God to bless them with the Holy Spirit or any other spiritual gifts other than faith perhaps?And no matter how long and hard we study the bible and pray, believers still have a very limited understanding of God (1 Timothy 3:16) and most don’t have a clue what to pray for either (Romans 8:26). So if you are seeking alternatives and cannot accept the endurance required for salvation, then you might perish? Your choice. ;)

the Biscuit

Internet Ministstry.. you mention "choose Buddhism" and be condemmed. I'm not talking about "choosing Buddhism". I'm talking about being a Christian.. but learning from other methods and religions as well.

I also must add that I am not speaking from frustration. I ask questions as the result of curiousity.

OMEGA

Buddhism is Reincarnation which the demons do.

Christianity is Resurrection which God does.

the Biscuit

Omega, I understand that Buddhism embraces reincarnation. This is one of several reasons why I could never call myself a Buddhist. However, from what I've read, there is a lot more to Buddhism than the concept of reincarnation. For example, meditation and the concept of learning about yourself, the ideas of kindness toward all people (sound familiar?). Compassion. Empathy. Being mindfull. All these concepts are postive ideas and from what I can tell, could actually help a person become a better person. This is a good thing in my book.. by any name.

Status
Not open for further replies.