The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Originally posted by LightSon
This implies a smidgen of hope for you.
Indeed. There's always the chance, however small, that I might take complete leave of my senses...:chuckle:

Abecedarium

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Originally posted by Gerald
Indeed. There's always the chance, however small, that I might take complete leave of my senses...:chuckle:

Which explains why the person you refer to as your best friend would even consider hanging around you. :p

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Originally posted by Abecedarium
Which explains why the person you refer to as your best friend would even consider hanging around you. :p
Oh, of course common interests have absolutely nothing to do with it.:rolleyes:

It is here that I'll point out that my friend is a practicing Catholic...

::gets ready to jackslap the first idiot who says "Catholic? Well, he's not a Real Christian™, then..."::

Abecedarium

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Oh, of course common interests have absolutely nothing to do with it.:rolleyes:

It is here that I'll point out that my friend is a practicing Catholic...

::gets ready to jackslap the first idiot who says "Catholic? Well, he's not a Real Christian™, then..."::

Catholic isn't descriptive enough. Does he believe that Jesus is the true Son of God who came to the Earth to save man?

LightSon

How would that matter to you? Since you reject all faith as self-delusion, what difference does it make to you if the inmates quibble about who more deluded?

Aren't "Christians" all just :kookoo: in your view?

PastorZ77

I'm so completely covered with scar tissue as to be numb and nigh-invulnerable.

Sounds like a prime candidate for conversion to me, better watch out, it may be closer than you think...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Catholic isn't descriptive enough. Does he believe that Jesus is the true Son of God who came to the Earth to save man?
I presume so. I thought that was part of the dogma. Honestly, the issue's never come up.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by PastorZ77
I'm so completely covered with scar tissue as to be numb and nigh-invulnerable.

Sounds like a prime candidate for conversion to me, better watch out, it may be closer than you think...
Well, how about posting your best shot, Pastor...?

You might just get lucky...

I warn you, though: every conceivable approach has been tried, and none have come even close to accomplishing the goal...

Last edited:

Gerald

Resident Fiend

Originally posted by LightSon
How would that matter to you? Since you reject all faith as self-delusion, what difference does it make to you if the inmates quibble about who more deluded?

Aren't "Christians" all just :kookoo: in your view?
Some are more :kookoo: than others; some are so :kookoo: as to be dangerous.

Abecedarium

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Some are more sincere than others; some are so sincere it makes me cry.

How touching, Gerald.

Now stop arguing about whether the sky is blue and actually LOOK at the sky for a change.

Abecedarium

I presume so. I thought that was part of the dogma. Honestly, the issue's never come up.

Dogma of what? Catholicism? Christianity? Whichever religion you happen to be picking on at the time?

Now go play with your imaginary friend.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo Hah!

Originally posted by Gerald (altered by Abecedarium)
Some are more sincere than others; some are so sincere it makes me cry.

How touching, Gerald.

Now stop arguing about whether the sky is blue and actually LOOK at the sky for a change.
Ah. Altering other people's post in an effort to be witty. Nice.

Newsflash, squab: I've never met a sincere fundy in my life, unless it was sincerely holier-than-thou.

Gerald

Resident Fiend

Dogma of what? Catholicism? Christianity? Whichever religion you happen to be picking on at the time?

Now go play with your imaginary friend.
You believe in an invisible sky-daddy and then say I have imaginary friends??

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...:rolleyes:

Husband&Father

-----Newsflash, squab: I've never met a sincere fundy in my life, unless it was sincerely holier-than-thou.------

How can you know who is sincere and who is not? Even a jerk can be sincere

Husband&Father

This thread is dead...

This thread is dead...

Looks like this thread is dead...

So in conclusion let me just say that atheism fails the test of logical consistency.
For instance, the atheist refuses to believe that God spoke and the universe exploded into existence yet has no problem believing that the universe exploded into existence all on it’s own.

And further, atheism offers no hope, no answers and no past and no future.

Can man live without God? Sure, but you can’t really call it living.

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Freak
So, Zakath:

Atheism also fails to adequately explain the existence of eternal, unchanging truths, for it rejects the existence of an eternal unchanging Mind. Atheism cannot offer man any eternal significance. Temporary meaning in life is insufficient, for our accomplishments die with the death of the universe -- there is no ultimate purpose in a universe void of God.

Atheism fails miserably in providing any kind of eternal significance...Christianity provides hope after death. Zakath, a breath away you are....then what....you might simply dismiss death...but it is a reality that all humans must face...

I do not dismiss death at all and I am an atheist. I fully understand that I will die. The difference between atheists and theists, as I see it, is that the former does not believe in god or the after life and the latter does.

So what does that mean to me? Yes, I understand that in the grand scheme of life the majority of my actions will benefit few, unless I discover or invent something truly life changing. But in understanding and accepting my own mortality I gain a greater clarity of life itself.

I now live for the moment and cherish the important things. Like playing with my son and watching him grow. Like getting to understand my parents better and researching my family's past.

I alos live for the future that I may provide a more comfortable existance for my family.

I do not waste my time upholding rediculous Jewish superstisions that have no guarantee of being paid back. Does god really care if I eat pig or shellfish or mix meat and cheese? He "created" all these things so why should I not allow myself the benefit of their use.

Honestly, I think that even having a debate over which is right, Atheism or Theism, is a total waste of time.

I do not fault anyone for their religious belief or lack thereof. Do not fault me for mine.

[edit]After rereading my post, I realised that I failed to make a clear point. What I was trying to say is that for me, "eternal significane" is to be remembered fondly by my son and family and to know that while I will be missed after I pass, their lives will continue.[/edit]

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: This thread is dead...

Re: This thread is dead...

Originally posted by Husband&Father
Looks like this thread is dead...

So in conclusion let me just say that atheism fails the test of logical consistency.
For instance, the atheist refuses to believe that God spoke and the universe exploded into existence yet has no problem believing that the universe exploded into existence all on it’s own.

And further, atheism offers no hope, no answers and no past and no future.

Can man live without God? Sure, but you can’t really call it living.

I think it is a tad presumtious to assume that you know what all atheists think and feel. And I call what I do living very much. Knowing and accepting my mortality, and not hoping on some mystical afterlife allows me live each day to it's fullest without being fettered by religious laws or customs.

As for the creation of the universe, I simply choose to recognise that which is proveable.

Z Man

Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Originally posted by Rational Human
I think it is a tad presumtious to assume that you know what all atheists think and feel. And I call what I do living very much. Knowing and accepting my mortality, and not hoping on some mystical afterlife allows me live each day to it's fullest without being fettered by religious laws or customs.
Everything you do to make yourself happy is vain. Like grasping to hold a fist full of water, life without God is empty.
As for the creation of the universe, I simply choose to recognise that which is proveable.
If you can prove to me without a shadow of a doubt that evolution took place, then I'll believe you.

Rational Human

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Re: Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Re: Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Originally posted by Z Man
Everything you do to make yourself happy is vain. Like grasping to hold a fist full of water, life without God is empty.

Only according to you. I refuse to believe that having my son is an act of vanity. It is through our friends and loved ones that we achieve immortality.

If you can prove to me without a shadow of a doubt that evolution took place, then I'll believe you.

There is numerous scientific proof assuring me that the world is older than 6000 years. This is proof enough for me the creation was a much longer process that the religious belief that it was 6 days.

I not only believe in the big bang theory but I also believe in the big crunch theory. This also leads me to believe that this is not the only universe that has ever existed. This is a fairly difficult concept to explain in spoken words and is even harder for to explain in text so I will have to simply let it go.

How about you prove to me that creation took place in six days, with out using the bible as a refference source.

One Eyed Jack

Re: Re: Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Re: Re: Re: Re: This thread is dead...

Originally posted by Rational Human
I not only believe in the big bang theory but I also believe in the big crunch theory.

Despite the fact that most astronomers reject the big crunch theory?

This also leads me to believe that this is not the only universe that has ever existed. This is a fairly difficult concept to explain in spoken words and is even harder for to explain in text so I will have to simply let it go.

Good idea. If your attempts at explaining this are as clumsy as your explanations regarding radiometric dating, you're bound to make yourself look like a fool.

How about you prove to me that creation took place in six days, with out using the bible as a refference source.

How about you prove to us it took however long you think it took without using any of your references?