The Ever Present Problem of Atheism (HOF thread)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by RogerB
Were you sitting on your couch in your underwear with a Bud in one hand and fluorescent orange cheese stains on the other, the big toe of your right foot resting gingerly on the "channel up" button of the remote?
Nope. I would never ruin a beer-drinking opportunity by watching religious palaver. What a waste of good beer... :nono:

... of course it's questionable whether one may consider "Bud" a "good beer"... :chuckle:

RogerB

Originally posted by Zakath
Nope. I would never ruin a beer-drinking opportunity by watching religious palaver. What a waste of good beer... :nono:

... of course it's questionable whether one may consider "Bud" a "good beer"... :chuckle:

So you were sober, watching a TV evangelist, pondering Deut. 22:11, and thinking about fabric content?

Z Man

:crackup: ...... :D ...... :) ...... :noid:

Well, I thought it was pretty funny....

Zakath

Resident Atheist
So you were sober, watching a TV evangelist, pondering Deut. 22:11, and thinking about fabric content?
No, actually I was sitting in a revival meeting several decades ago in Illinois listening to someone preach from Dt 22. The incongruity struck me as humorous then, and still does, after all these years. People only see what they wish to see... ;)

LightSon

No, actually I was sitting in a revival meeting several decades ago in Illinois listening to someone preach from Dt 22. The incongruity struck me as humorous then, and still does, after all these years. People only see what they wish to see... ;)

I have felt that. There is one hymn (can't think of it now) we sing which refers to lifting holy hands. As conservative Baptists, we just don't do that - might make us look charismatic. When singing that line, I look around and can almost see folks sticking their hands in their pockets. :doh:

Some of us conservative types are starting to loosen up.

Maybe someday I'll share this anecdote as a newly converted skeptic, aye Zak?

RogerB

And the fact that you can spot a wool/linen blend suit from the back pew is amazing! Way to go! :thumb:

Z Man

And the fact that you can spot a wool/linen blend suit from the back pew is amazing! Way to go! :thumb:
What's wrong with sitting in the back row? Are only the non-christians suppose to sit there or something?

Freak

Originally posted by LightSon
I have felt that. There is one hymn (can't think of it now) we sing which refers to lifting holy hands. As conservative Baptists, we just don't do that - might make us look charismatic.

Why the labels? Christians ought to lift holy hands to the Lord regardless of your theological persuasion. :bannana:

LightSon

Originally posted by Freak
Why the labels? Christians ought to lift holy hands to the Lord regardless of your theological persuasion. :bannana:
I agree Freak. I was being sarcastic and mildly deprecating to my own denomination. We Baptists really do need to loosen up.

Z Man

I don't like it when a preacher is praying or a worship leader is singing and they ask everyone to lift their hands to worship God. It's basically saying, "All Christians prove yourselves by lifting your hands tonight"...

I feel the same way towards anyone who asks all the Christians to come up and pray for an individual or a certain situation. If some deceide to sit in their pew, people begin thinking they're not saved... :rolleyes:

apolojest

Atheism is is a bet that you won't wake up after screaming at the top of your lungs for God to save you while your airplane is piling into the World Trade Center or the grenade with your name on it and no pin in it just went off in your knickers.

Theism is a hedge that you will wake up after screaming at the top of your lungs for God to save you while your airplane is piling into the World Trade Center or the grenade with your name on it and no pin in it just went off in your knickers.

I go with the hedge. I've got nothing to lose and the atheist is betting everything on his own precision. Sucker bet if I ever saw one.

Funny, how atheists scream as loud as everyone else when death is staring them in the face. I wonder why that is. I wonder where their clear rational thinking goes while bleeding to death on the sidewalk of South Central LA with the back of their skull blown away by a .45 wad cutter.

I wonder if they seek comfort in the fact that their bet is totally correct when they see an 18 wheeler hurdling toward them out of control and they know they are about to .... what, just go to sleep?

Theists scream because they are not prepared to meet their maker. Atheists scream ..... why, because they're gonna miss the 6 o'clock news?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by apolojest
Atheism is is a bet that you won't wake up after screaming at the top of your lungs for God to save you while your airplane is piling into the World Trade Center or the grenade with your name on it and no pin in it just went off in your knickers.

Theism is a hedge that you will wake up after screaming at the top of your lungs for God to save you while your airplane is piling into the World Trade Center or the grenade with your name on it and no pin in it just went off in your knickers.

I go with the hedge. I've got nothing to lose and the atheist is betting everything on his own precision. Sucker bet if I ever saw one.
Thank you, Blaise Pascal.:chuckle:

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Abecedarium
Are you bothered by the truth?
What, that humanity is a successful virus, clinging to a ball of mud, spinning through a cold and uncaring universe?

Not in the least.
:cool: