Battle Royale VII Specific discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Berean

Originally posted by taoist
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Pastor Bob, and excuse my delay in replying. I am not always my own master.

They opposed the war. Yes, but so did nearly all of asia, the indian subcontinent, south america ... even our neighbors south of the Rio Grande and a majority of the public in the United Kingdom.

Yet the french are singled out for attacks which are not even directed toward the germans. I can't believe that the american public is unaware of who voiced the most uncompromising opposition, who rode this opposition into his seat as chancellor of Germany.

Honestly, it seems misdirected.

It's not that the French oposed the war but their dishonest behavior, trying to bribe African nations to oppose the UN resolution against Iraq and selling nuclear technology to Iraq. This is what Americans were angry about. And French arrogance was the worst.

Last edited:

attention

Originally posted by Bob Enyart
Note to all BR7 readers: I am still hoping that Zakath completes the last two rounds of the debate and I would agree to whatever time flexibility he needs. Of course, as always, I hope he is well. If the debate does resume, I'll be traveling in the Rocky Mountains with family and staff for a few days next week on a dinosaur fossil dig led by a Christian paleontologist (yes, such a species is not extinct as was once thought). So I'll be out of touch from this Sunday (preaching/teaching) at Denver Bible Church through Thursday August 7th. Sincerely, -Bob

Have a good weekend Mr Bob Enyard.

I hope you can clarify us, or perhaps even show us, after the weekend how these creatures, judged from their fossil remains, have been put there by the creator.

taoist

The Berean
It's not that the French opposed the war but their dishonest behavior, trying to bribe African nations to oppose the UN resolution against Iraq and selling nuclear technology to Iraq. This is what Americans were angry about. And French arrogance was the worst.
Trying to bribe the vote?

US Arm-Twisting
This section looks at the tremendous pressure the US can bring to bear on UN Security Council members, and Elected members in particular, to gain their votes on Iraq resolutions. Washington's arm-twisting succeeded in gaining a unanimous vote for Resolution 1441 (November, 2002) but eventually failed to gain a second resolution (March, 2003).

Selling nuclear technology to Iraq?

US debates bid to kill Hussein and avoid trial
''We gave them the design for how to build a chemical warfare plant,'' Aburish said. ''The initial effort involved US government approval -- in the second phase, someone woke up and said we can't do it. But [Hussein's] people put it together piecemeal,'' based on that design.

I'll leave arrogance off the table for now. But I'm sure the debate on that one could become quite interesting.

In peace, and harmony.

Curtsibling

Originally posted by attention
Have a good weekend Mr Bob Enyard.

I hope you can clarify us, or perhaps even show us, after the weekend how these creatures, judged from their fossil remains, have been put there by the creator.

So I take it you don't put any stock in evolution? :shut:

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
To Knight:
Regarding your final deadline to Zakath: You make it sound as if you have heard from Zakath and that you did anticipate him responding by the previous deadline. So My question is have your heard from Zakath at all in the last week? If so what made you think that he would meet the previous deadline, and is he okay?

taoist

Originally posted by LightSon
I know little about Taoism. Do you have a link which would bring me up to speed?
I've honestly never seen a website on taoism I'd recommend. Oh no, gotta actually hit libraries and bookstores! You can find different versions of the Tao Te Ching just by doing a quick search. I personally prefer the classic translation by Blakney.

Tao Te Ching, poem 11
Thirty spokes will converge
In the hub of a wheel;
But the use of the cart
Will depend on the part
Of the hub that is void.

With a wall all around
A clay bowl is molded;
But the use of the bowl
Will depend on the part
Of the bowl that is void.

Cut out windows and doors
In the house as you build;
But the use of the house
Will depend on the space
In the walls that is void.

So advantage is had
From whatever is there;
But usefulness rises
From whatever is not.

August

Bob Enyart wrote:
< Regardless, if a point is of zero
length, and the arrow only proceeded the distance of a single such point per moment in time,
then even an infinite number of moments would not allow the arrow to move at all. Yet, things
obviously move. Thus, it is reasonable to believe that at some point, you cannot get smaller,
and real world objects move digitally so-to-speak by jumping from one of these points to the
next. That resolves the Greek's paradox (they confused themselves frequently, didn't they?) I'd
love to hear the calculus resolution.>

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I have to limit the time I devote to this. I'll explain by way of an example. Suppose the arrow flight distance is 100 ft. and the arrow speed is constant at 100 ft/sec. We already know that the arrow will get there in one second. But let's analyze this as per Zeno. First divide the flight path into 10 parts so that the 10 events in which the arrow passes the end of each section are 1/10 sec. apart. Then subdivide each of these sections into tenths. Their endpoints are only one ft. apart and the flight time between these points is 1/100 sec.
Now continue this process indefinitely. The end points will get closer and closer, but never meet. But the time of passage between points gets shorter also. In the limit, we get the total time as the product of an infinite number of segments multiplied by 0 time to negotiate each segment, which doesn't tell us anything. But, in calculus, we use the simple expedient of forming the products first (10x10) (100x100), etc. as we subdivide the segments, and then take the limit of the product as the number of segments approaches infinity. The limit in this case is clearly one, which is just the result of integrating the function 1 between the limits zero and one. Elementary calculus. But the point I was making is that something does happen in an instant of time. The arrow passes each station on its trajectory in an instant of time. If anyone thinks that this is an apt subject for philosophical or theological debate, he needs to study a little math.
Hope you understand this.
Now, here's one for you. Why will the meek inherit the earth?
(Hint. The WRONG answer is "as a reward".)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by jeremiah
To Knight:
Regarding your final deadline to Zakath: You make it sound as if you have heard from Zakath and that you did anticipate him responding by the previous deadline. So My question is have your heard from Zakath at all in the last week? If so what made you think that he would meet the previous deadline, and is he okay?
I have not heard from Zakath in the past week.

He did tell me he would meet the last deadline but he didn't. I am giving him this new deadline just because I feel he is due. :D

Last edited:

attention

Originally posted by August
Bob Enyart wrote:
< Regardless, if a point is of zero length, and the arrow only proceeded the distance of a single such point per moment in time,
then even an infinite number of moments would not allow the arrow to move at all. Yet, things obviously move. Thus, it is reasonable to believe that at some point, you cannot get smaller, and real world objects move digitally so-to-speak by jumping from one of these points to the next. That resolves the Greek's paradox (they confused themselves frequently, didn't they?) I'd
love to hear the calculus resolution.>

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I have to limit the time I devote to this. I'll explain by way of an example. Suppose the arrow flight distance is 100 ft. and the arrow speed is constant at 100 ft/sec. We already know that the arrow will get there in one second. But let's analyze this as per Zeno. First divide the flight path into 10 parts so that the 10 events in which the arrow passes the end of each section are 1/10 sec. apart. Then subdivide each of these sections into tenths. Their endpoints are only one ft. apart and the flight time between these points is 1/100 sec.
Now continue this process indefinitely. The end points will get closer and closer, but never meet. But the time of passage between points gets shorter also. In the limit, we get the total time as the product of an infinite number of segments multiplied by 0 time to negotiate each segment, which doesn't tell us anything. But, in calculus, we use the simple expedient of forming the products first (10x10) (100x100), etc. as we subdivide the segments, and then take the limit of the product as the number of segments approaches infinity. The limit in this case is clearly one, which is just the result of integrating the function 1 between the limits zero and one. Elementary calculus. But the point I was making is that something does happen in an instant of time. The arrow passes each station on its trajectory in an instant of time. If anyone thinks that this is an apt subject for philosophical or theological debate, he needs to study a little math.
Hope you understand this.
Now, here's one for you. Why will the meek inherit the earth?
(Hint. The WRONG answer is "as a reward".)

This calculus solution works fine for the mathematical world. But we have to deal with the real world, not the mathematical "idealized" projection of it.

I made a contribution to this issue on the Philosopy forum Motion and Change

"(...) To say of a moving body only that it is at a particular place at a particular instant, is not to describe it as in motion there. In order to get movement into the picture, according to dialectic, we must recognize both that the body is at that place and that, in the same instant it is ceasing to be so. For the description needs to capture the fact not only that the body is where it is, but also that it is moving ─ hence in a process of change and becoming. For this contradiction is essential (Priest 1985). As Hegel says, `something moves not because at one moment it is here and at another there, but because at one and the same moment it is here and not here' (Hegel 1969, 440)."

I think the dialectics approach does more resemble the material world as it is, and not just the mathematical world.

attention

Originally posted by bob b
By an interesting coincidence I ran across the following paper just this morning:

http://cdsweb.cern.ch/search.py?recid=624701

I had almost attached this same link about this same person to you, which I read about ALSO this morning on a physcis forum.

But in my opinion, this Peter Lynd did not invent a wheel, but rediscovered it. And dialectical-materialism had already found a similar explenation almost a century ago!

Have you read his paper also?

It's here:
http://doc.cern.ch//archive/electronic/other/ext/ext-2003-045.pdf

And some more of Peter Lynds you can find here:
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001197/

Last edited:

August

Attention wrote:
"I think the dialectics approach does more resemble the material world as it is, and not just
the mathematical world."

I swore that I would never respond to another of your silly posts, but I can't resist this one. I hope that some day you have the opportunity to ride in a car, train, or airplane designed by a philosopher rather than an engineer, one of whose basic tools is calculus.

attention

Originally posted by August
Attention wrote:
"I think the dialectics approach does more resemble the material world as it is, and not just
the mathematical world."

I swore that I would never respond to another of your silly posts, but I can't resist this one. I hope that some day you have the opportunity to ride in a car, train, or airplane designed by a philosopher rather than an engineer, one of whose basic tools is calculus.

What about a car that is designed by a theist then?

In reality things are not just built on theoretical calculations, but you need to actualy test things.

I would not want to fly in an airplane that was never tested.

Last edited:

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
To Bob Enyart:

I just read your 9th post. Great points.:thumb:

I noticed you said that Zakath was even offered more time, but preferred to quit instead. Then you said he promised to be back on TOL soon and be posting "just like old times."
I would like to make a suggestion. Since he has officially lost this debate, and you are the winner; {along the line of to the victor belongs the spoil}, I remember that you used to have a homo free month, where you would fine yourself for each time you used the word. Can you insist that Zakath have a God free month. Each time he mentions God or the Bible in a derogatory way, he has to pay TOL a dollar for each word for an entire month.
I think it is only fair since he 1: lost the debate, 2: Worried a lot of people by not communicating, 3: It should be easy for him to do, since he still? doesn't believe He exists,;) .
I don't think he can or should be just like old times, for at least a month. What do you think?:)

Last edited:

attention

Bob Enyart wrote:

"Atheists are impotent to explain anything at all, and are especially unable to explain how the universe can begin with matter alone and develop to where knowledge is possible"

Now please, Mr Bob Enyart.

Have you REALY been talking to a REAL atheist in your life? Where did you get that stupid idea then of a "begin of the universe?"

Your statement does not make sense, since you assume something that needs explaining. You assume that the universe had a begin.

So let us assume this. The universe - eveyrthing that we KNOW that exists and in theory CAN exist - once did not exist.

What was there?

Nothing.

What happpened?

Nothing.

So, how can that explain the fact that THERE IS a universe, there is a world and there iis us?

It can't.

You realy have to dig some more into that issue.

The simple fact of reality is:

A nothing is not a begin of something. Nothing is only nothing.

Since we know there is a world and a nothing can not explain that there is a universe, we are left with the only alternative:

Everything that exists must have been already there in some or other form. We may not know anything about the state of the world in the indefinite past or indefinite future, but we DO know that there has always been and will always been a world.

Now let us look at some formal and abstract logic and proofs.

Can abstract logic and formal proof, provide us any argument why there would have to be a world in the first place, and not not a world?

No. No formal proof can exist that can proof that there is a world in the first place. Formal and abstract reasoning does not provide a proof that there is or has to be a world. A formal proof that there has to be a world, instead of not a world, does not exist and can not exist.

Unless of course one already assumes that there is a world, instead of not a world. But then no proof is necessary, since all we have to conclude is what we already assumed.

So, we materialist, do take a very "big leap in faith", we ask everyone to assume the following:

The world in total exists. It exists independend, outside and apart from our consciousness, and it is reflected directly and indirectly into our mind.

Ok. Granted. Since we already distinguished between the entity ME - the thinking and observing being - and not-ME - the world which I assume to exist - we could also have stated something OTHER then the previous assumption.

That would be the following then:
The entity ME which is a thinking being and observes the world, has existed always and created the world.

What would that have meant for ME?
It would have meant that I would have had to exist at a "time" in which in fact there was NOT a world. I would be desperately alone, and the unique being in the world.

It would have meant that I would not be able to have an object, since besides me, nothing would exist. And because no object would exist, neither I would be an object to anything that would exist outside of me. Since I am the ony entity.
it would have meant therefore that I would not exist objectively.

That is:

I would not exist at al

And to state this more precisely, please read the following text:

"A being which does not have its nature outside itself is not a natural being, and plays no part in the system of nature. A being which has no object outside itself is not an objective being. A being which is not itself an object for some third being has no being for its object; i.e., it is not objectively related. Its being is not objective.

A non-objective being is a non-being.

Suppose a being which is neither an object itself, nor has an object. Such a being, in the first place, would be the unique being: there would exist no being outside it — it would exist solitary and alone. For as soon as there are objects outside me, as soon as I am not alone, I am another — another reality than the object outside me. For this third object I am thus a different reality than itself; that is, I am its object. Thus, to suppose a being which is not the object of another being is to presuppose that no objective being exists. As soon as I have an object, this object has me for an object. But a non-objective being is an unreal, non-sensuous thing — a product of mere thought (i.e., of mere imagination) — an abstraction. To be sensuous, that is, to be really existing, means to be an object of sense, to be a sensuous object, to have sensuous objects outside oneself — objects of one’s sensuousness. To be sensuous is to suffer.
Man as an objective, sensuous being is therefore a suffering being — and because he feels that he suffers, a passionate being. Passion is the essential power of man energetically bent on its object."

K. Marx in Critique of Hegel's Philosophy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT is a realy very big "leap in faith", and of course this fact has been discussed over and over again in history, since it does not conform to any abstract knowledge we might have and is not a reasonable conclusion from any formal proof.

We confess here: to conclude something about the reality of the world, it might be necessary to not only use abstract thinking and formal reasoning, but sometimes you need to actually OBSERVE the world.

The formalists, mathematicians and those performing abstract reasoning might not like our assumption, but since there is a world there is nothing other we can state or assume to begin with then that there is a world.

And not only there is a world, it also can not have started from nothing or end in nothing, which means it must have been there for eternity and will be there for eternity.

What more do we need to assume, besides the existence of the world and all it contains?

Are we missing on something?

Besides the world itself and everything it contains, is there a need for something other that needs to be assumed?

What?

Last edited:

One Eyed Jack

The thing you don't get, attention, which I tried to point out in another thread, is that the physical laws of the universe aren't in effect until there is a universe in which they can take effect. In this 'great nothing' you speak of, there were no physical laws, so the creation of the universe wasn't a violation of them.

It's like I told you before -- when you try to think of infinity in terms of numbers, you're making a mistake. At the same time, when you think of 'absolutely nothing,' it's a mistake to think of that in terms of emptiness. The concepts of infinity and absolute nothing aren't things that our minds can truly grasp in any kind of real sense in relation to the physical universe, because we're always going to try to compare them with something we can imagine. I can't really tell you what they are -- I can only tell you what they're not.

Last edited:

attention

The thing you don't get Mr One Eyed Jack is that YOU - your being the entity that reflects on itself as I and that can think about and observe the world - is not what started the world, because you started out in a lump of living matter that grew and became you.

You happen to make the mistake that you as thinking being with selfconsciousness and consciousness is what is primary to the world.

That is of course not the case for any 'I' so it is true for all of us.

There was a material world before there was any living and/or thinking being in the world.

While it is a necessity for your being to assume and state that it had some sort of begin, it is obvious that you did not start in or from nothing. So your consciousness started out from something that was independend, apart and outside of it. That is what we call the material world.

For any something that exists in the world, there has always been a begin and an end, but there was no begin in nothing and there is no end in nothing.

A nothing, simply does not exist. A nothing is no begin and no end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.