User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 158

Thread: Convince Me!

  1. #1
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,722
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 827 Times in 592 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    198278

    Convince Me!

    Take the Chair challenge! Convince me that Christianity is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

    There are some rules:

    1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Christianity before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
    2. Give some evidence or reasoning for your statements.
    3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
    4. Please be brief. I get lost in long-winded lengthy posts.
    5. Personal experience ( I feel God) won't work with me, so don't bother.
    6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

    Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...

  2. #2
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1009111
    Take the Knight challenge! Convince me that Judaism is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

    There are some rules:

    1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Judaism before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
    2. Give some evidence or reasoning for your statements.
    3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
    4. Please be brief. I get lost in long-winded lengthy posts.
    5. Personal experience ( I feel God) won't work with me, so don't bother.
    6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

    Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...

    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  3. #3
    Over 750 post club Balder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kahleefornia, you girlyman
    Posts
    845
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    175
    Well, if Judaism isn't true -- or at least right about some fundamental things -- then Christianity is in trouble too.....
    "Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something that needs our love" ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

  4. #4
    TOL Legend chrysostom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20,493
    Thanks
    336
    Thanked 935 Times in 770 Posts

    Blog Entries
    10
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    853230
    The Jews were looking for the Messiah. What must happen to convince you the Messiah has come? Can you imagine anyone having more influence on the world than Jesus? If Jesus is not the Messiah, how do you explain His success? Can you imagine a better message?
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

  5. #5
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1009111
    Quote Originally Posted by Balder
    Well, if Judaism isn't true -- or at least right about some fundamental things -- then Christianity is in trouble too.....
    Point.... missed. (by you)
    Last edited by Knight; October 4th, 2006 at 04:56 PM.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by chair
    Take the Chair challenge! Convince me that Christianity is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

    There are some rules:

    1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Christianity before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
    2. Give some evidence or reasoning for your statements.
    3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
    4. Please be brief. I get lost in long-winded lengthy posts.
    5. Personal experience ( I feel God) won't work with me, so don't bother.
    6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

    Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...
    I have said this several time to you. I am not trying to sell you on Christianity or some kind of religion, but on Christ. It might be extremely difficult to see Christ on a tread. He is today living through the lives of his followers. I am afraid to many that call themselves followers of Christ really don’t have Christ living an active live in them. Follow those that are caring out of a deep love for their God, the really poor x-prostitute African aide’s victim, what ever religion they have will be right. It can not be a love for the esteem of others, or love of fellow human beings, or done do duty sac. It has to be out of their love for God. Their lives will show their love and we would do good to follow their God.

  7. #7
    Old Timer mighty_duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    portland, or
    Posts
    418
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    795
    That's easy.

    1. Don't you want to go to heaven? The only way is through Christ. You have so little to lose and so much to gain by following him, you would be a fool not to. When you are judged, you will be without excuse, since I told you about Him right here.

    2. You don't need to be convinced, you already know Christ in your heart. You are willfully ignorant

    3. Because of the impossibility of the contrary.

    [/Sarcasm]

    This is about the best you can hope for here..
    "What if the Hokie Pokie is really what it's all about?"

    "The best things in life aren't things"

  8. #8
    Over 1000 post club allsmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Wild Wild East
    Posts
    1,065
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by chrysostom
    The Jews were looking for the Messiah. What must happen to convince you the Messiah has come?
    If I had to guess, the messiah would actually have to fulfill scriptural, messianic criteria.

    Can you imagine anyone having more influence on the world than Jesus?
    I don't have to imagine. There's Buddha, Krishna, Sun Tzu...

    If Jesus is not the Messiah, how do you explain His success? Can you imagine a better message?
    Yes, I can imagine a better message, and frankly, Jesus hasn't had success, Christianity has.
    The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

  9. #9
    Over 500 post club Real Sorceror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Florida, where people go to die
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    146
    Um, well lets see.....
    You get to have a relationship with God...........but I guess Jews already have that......
    Oh, you get to go to Heaven..........but I guess Jews do that too........
    Uh, you get a neat holy book.............what? You've already got one?
    Darn.....

  10. #10
    Over 5000 post club elohiym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    In Christ
    Posts
    5,875
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 112 Times in 95 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    420291
    Chair, how many commandments are in God's law?
    "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

  11. #11
    Get used to it. TomO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Between the Clowns and the Jokers
    Posts
    2,507
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 323 Times in 237 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    258857
    Quote Originally Posted by chair
    Take the Chair challenge! Convince me that Christianity is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

    There are some rules:

    1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Christianity before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
    2. Give some evidence or reasoning for your statements.
    3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
    4. Please be brief. I get lost in long-winded lengthy posts.
    5. Personal experience ( I feel God) won't work with me, so don't bother.
    6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

    Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...
    It's a shame Elya isn't around.....I would like to see him take a shot at this if he was willing.
    Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
    ~Leonard Cohen



    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ~Dalai Lama XIV

  12. #12
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1009111
    Quote Originally Posted by chair
    I don't expect to be changed in my thinking.
    TRANSLATION: When you share your pearls with me, I am going to mock you.

    Any post that ends with a "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or a "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference." should be a warning that the poster's only intention is to waste your time.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  13. #13
    Over 1000 post club allsmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Wild Wild East
    Posts
    1,065
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    TRANSLATION: When you share your pearls with me, I am going to mock you.

    Any post that ends with a "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or a "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference." should be a warning that the poster's only intention is to waste your time.
    Knight, evidence contrary to your beliefs is posted here on TOL every day and I know you see a great deal of it. Can you honestly say that your attitude is any different than the one you've described here?
    The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

  14. #14
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,722
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 827 Times in 592 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    198278
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Take the Knight challenge! Convince me that Judaism is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

    There are some rules:

    1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Judaism before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
    2. Give some evidence or reasoning for your statements.
    3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
    4. Please be brief. I get lost in long-winded lengthy posts.
    5. Personal experience ( I feel God) won't work with me, so don't bother.
    6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

    Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...

    I have never tried to conviince anybody here to become Jewish, and I ain't gonna start now. Many have tried to convince me of the truth of Christianity, thoiugh, which is why I opened this thread.

  15. #15
    Over 2500 post club
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,722
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 827 Times in 592 Posts

    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    198278
    Quote Originally Posted by elohiym
    Chair, how many commandments are in God's law?
    You posted this in another thread already. You should know without my help.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us