Thread: Convince Me!

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Convince Me!

Take the Chair challenge! Convince me that Christianity is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Christianity before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
    2. Give some evidence or reasoning for your statements.
    3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
    4. Please be brief. I get lost in long-winded lengthy posts.
    5. Personal experience ( I feel God) won't work with me, so don't bother.
    6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take the Knight challenge! Convince me that Judaism is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Judaism before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.
    3. Avoid circular reasoning. If you want to prove something from the Bible, you will have to convince me that the Bible is true first.
    6. Don't assume that I agree with you on anything before I have actually said so. Some ideas that you think are held by everybody but be completely foreign to me.

Honestly - I view this as an intellectual exercise. I don't expect to be changed in my thinking. But you never know...

Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if Judaism isn't true -- or at least right about some fundamental things -- then Christianity is in trouble too.....
    "Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something that needs our love" ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Jews were looking for the Messiah. What must happen to convince you the Messiah has come? Can you imagine anyone having more influence on the world than Jesus? If Jesus is not the Messiah, how do you explain His success? Can you imagine a better message?
    a voice crying in the wilderness :chrysost:

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balder
    Well, if Judaism isn't true -- or at least right about some fundamental things -- then Christianity is in trouble too.....
    Point.... missed. (by you)
    Last edited by Knight; October 4th, 2006 at 04:56 PM.

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chair
    Take the Chair challenge! Convince me that Christianity is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Christianity before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.

I have said this several time to you. I am not trying to sell you on Christianity or some kind of religion, but on Christ. It might be extremely difficult to see Christ on a tread. He is today living through the lives of his followers. I am afraid to many that call themselves followers of Christ really don’t have Christ living an active live in them. Follow those that are caring out of a deep love for their God, the really poor x-prostitute African aide’s victim, what ever religion they have will be right. It can not be a love for the esteem of others, or love of fellow human beings, or done do duty sac. It has to be out of their love for God. Their lives will show their love and we would do good to follow their God.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's easy.

1. Don't you want to go to heaven? The only way is through Christ. You have so little to lose and so much to gain by following him, you would be a fool not to. When you are judged, you will be without excuse, since I told you about Him right here.

2. You don't need to be convinced, you already know Christ in your heart. You are willfully ignorant

3. Because of the impossibility of the contrary.

[/Sarcasm]

This is about the best you can hope for here..
    "What if the Hokie Pokie is really what it's all about?"

"The best things in life aren't things"

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrysostom
    The Jews were looking for the Messiah. What must happen to convince you the Messiah has come?
    If I had to guess, the messiah would actually have to fulfill scriptural, messianic criteria.

Can you imagine anyone having more influence on the world than Jesus?
    I don't have to imagine. There's Buddha, Krishna, Sun Tzu...

If Jesus is not the Messiah, how do you explain His success? Can you imagine a better message?
    Yes, I can imagine a better message, and frankly, Jesus hasn't had success, Christianity has.
    The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

Over 500 post club Real Sorceror's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, well lets see.....
    You get to have a relationship with God...........but I guess Jews already have that......
    Oh, you get to go to Heaven..........but I guess Jews do that too........
    Uh, you get a neat holy book.............what? You've already got one?
    Darn.....

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chair, how many commandments are in God's law?
    "It is easier to contend with evil at the first than at the last." - Leonardo da Vinci

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some rules:

It's a shame Elya isn't around.....I would like to see him take a shot at this if he was willing.
    Destroy another fetus now, we don't like children anyhow, I've seen the future baby......... It is Murder.
    ~Leonard Cohen

“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ~Dalai Lama XIV

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't expect to be changed in my thinking.
    TRANSLATION: When you share your pearls with me, I am going to mock you.

Any post that ends with a "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or a "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference." should be a warning that the poster's only intention is to waste your time.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    TRANSLATION: When you share your pearls with me, I am going to mock you.

Any post that ends with a "I don't expect to be changed in my thinking." or a "no matter what evidence you present I will not change my mind." or "I don't care what you say it wont make any difference." should be a warning that the poster's only intention is to waste your time.
    Knight, evidence contrary to your beliefs is posted here on TOL every day and I know you see a great deal of it. Can you honestly say that your attitude is any different than the one you've described here?
    The most important thing anyone can learn from 1st century greco-roman mystery cults is that complex religious systems can arise and develop without an historical founder.

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Take the Knight challenge! Convince me that Judaism is true. Many of you have been trying to do this in various threads, so here is a chance to go at it in a straightforward way, instead of hijacking other threads.

There are some rules:

1. Please define, BRIEFLY, what you mean by Judaism before you start. There are differing views about this, so I would like to know what exactly you are trying to convince me of.

I have never tried to conviince anybody here to become Jewish, and I ain't gonna start now. Many have tried to convince me of the truth of Christianity, thoiugh, which is why I opened this thread.

Over 2500 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elohiym
    Chair, how many commandments are in God's law?
    You posted this in another thread already. You should know without my help.

Thread Information