Favorite Quotations

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I like this, for it's dated hopefulness and archaic description of technology.

I like to think (and
the sooner the better!)
of a cybernetic meadow
where mammals and computers
live together in mutually
programming harmony
like pure water
touching clear sky.

I like to think
(right now, please!)
of a cybernetic forest
filled with pines and electronics
where deer stroll peacefully
past computers
as if they were flowers
with spinning blossoms.

I like to think
(it has to be!)
of a cybernetic ecology
where we are free of our labors
and joined back to nature,
returned to our mammal
brothers and sisters,
and all watched over
by machines of loving grace.

Richard Brautigan

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Just World Phenomenon: The tendency of people to believe that the world is just and that people therefore get what they deserve and deserve what they get.

... people are indifferent to social injustice not because they have no concern for justice but because they see no injustice. Those who assume a just world believe that rape victims must have behaved seductively, that battered spouses must have provoked their beatings, that poor people don't deserve better...

Such beliefs enable successful people to reassure themselves that they, too, deserve what they have. The wealthy and healthy can see their own good fortune, and others' misfortune, as justly deserved. Linking good fortune with virtue and misfortune with moral failure enables the fortunate to feel pride and to avoid responsibility for the unfortunate.

David G. Myers

Buzzword

“I charge you before God and his blessed angels that you follow me no further than you have seen me follow Christ. If God reveal anything to you by any other instrument of His, be as ready to receive it as you were to receive any truth from my ministry, for I am verily persuaded the Lord hath more truth and light yet to break forth from His holy word. The Lutherans cannot be drawn to go beyond what Luther saw. Whatever part of His will our God has revealed to Calvin, they (Lutherans) will rather die than embrace it; and the Calvinists, you see, stick fast where they were left by that great man of God, who yet saw not all things. This is a misery much to be lamented. For though they were precious shining lights in their time, yet God has not revealed his whole will to them. And were they now living, they would be as ready and willing to embrace further light, as they had received.”
-John Robinson

brinny

i LOVE autumn

fall-smiley.gif

tumblr_msry097hig1qkj4l8o1_400.gif

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
"A very popular error, having the courage of one's convictions. Rather, we should have the courage to CHANGE our convictions."

--Freddy Nietzshe

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Was he the one who wrote The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat? Interesting book. They made that movie about him too, Robin Williams, another recent passing: so sad. :( But good memories. :)
There is nothing alive which is not individual: our health is ours; our diseases are ours; our reactions are ours - no less than our minds or our faces.

--Oliver Sacks

July 9, 1933-August 30, 2015.

RIP
And, in order to not be spam in the thread: "Effectiveness is doing the right things: Efficiency is doing things right:" Peter Drucker: November 19, 1909-November 11, 2005 :)

Selaphiel

When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar.

There is in the Galilean origin of Christianity, yet another suggestion which does not fit in very well.It does not emphasize the ruling Caesar, or the ruthless moralist, or the unmoved mover. It dwells upon the tender elements in the world, which slowly and in quietness operate by love, and it finds purpose in the present immediacy of a kingdom not of this world. Love neither rules, nor is it unmoved; also it is a little oblivious as to morals. it does not look to the future; for it finds its own reward in the immediate present.

-Alfred North Whitehead (Process and Reality)

A wonderful passage of a nearly poetic quality. Suddenly appears in the text after several hundred pages of extremely technical and complicated metaphysics.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Was he the one who wrote The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat? Interesting book

Yes, he was. It was recommended to me quite a while ago and I haven't read it yet, although one of these days I'll make sure I do.

They made that movie about him too, Robin Williams, another recent passing: so sad. :( But good memories. :)
Hmm. I didn't know about the movie, but yes - good memories of Robin Williams, but a very sad passing.

And, in order to not be spam in the thread: "Effectiveness is doing the right things: Efficiency is doing things right:" Peter Drucker: November 19, 1909-November 11, 2005 :)
No worries about spamming the thread. At all. I appreciate your post. :)

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awakenings

It wasn't the greatest, but not bad. :)
Yes, he was. It was recommended to me quite a while ago and I haven't read it yet, although one of these days I'll make sure I do.

Hmm. I didn't know about the movie, but yes - good memories of Robin Williams, but a very sad passing.

No worries about spamming the thread. At all. I appreciate your post. :)

Selaphiel

This isn't really a quote. It is a full poem, a great poem by R. S. Thomas. He was a Welsh priest, few captures religious doubt and searching better than him. Showing the depth of a faith that is greater than shallow certitude:

"In church"

Often I try
To analyse the quality
Of its silences. Is this where God hides
From my searching? I have stopped to listen,
After the few people have gone,
To the air recomposing itself
For vigil. It has waited like this
Since the stones grouped themselves about it.
These are the hard ribs
Of a body that our prayers have failed
To animate. Shadows advance
From their corners to take possession
Of places the light held
For an hour. The bats resume
Their business. The uneasiness of the pews
Ceases. There is no other sound
In the darkness, but the sound of a man
Breathing, testing his faith
On emptiness, nailing his questions
One by one to an untenanted cross.

Selaphiel

"On one side, religious "evangelicalism" is not theology, that is, thought about the gospel. Nor is it even living supernaturalist metaphysics. It is the perversion of the gospel into an ideological weapon against the future. It is one particular historically given theology drained of its content and left as a set of dead words, and so of course eternally unchangable. These words are then used to hide from the changing world. On the other side, the vaguely liberal discussions in the average nothing-in-particular church differ only in the choice of which theology to ideologize. Religious words which God may once have used to imprint Christ's story on men's hearts now remain for their own sake, to be used as superficial palliatives."

-Robert Jenson

A hard hit for both extreme camps (or he would probably label them as two sides of the same coin).