How to smell good

heir

TOL Subscriber
I've been hoping someone would start a thread on this. :)

Which is it?

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.​

Romans 7:14-15
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

The good news. Paul was no longer "wretched", "carnal", and sold under sin.

Romans 8:8
So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.​
Hi glorydaz~just my two cents:

I believe Paul is talking about the sin nature/the nature of sin that dwells in us all in Romans 7 when he writes, “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing:..."

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Romans 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Romans 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Romans 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Romans 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Romans 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Romans 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Romans 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

I do not believe it is the same thing as “in the flesh” of Romans 8 as that is clearly a positional distinction between the natural man being “in the flesh” which those who are in Christ are no longer as we are “in the Spirit” (Romans 8:9 KJV).

As to Philippians 4:13 KJV, Paul is talking about contentment even though he was afflicted and recognizing where his strength comes from (compare with 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 KJV).

Philippians 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.
Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
Philippians 4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:14 Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Who rescues us from this body of death of our flesh?
Jesus Christ our Lord!
Paul tells us that good news in spite of the flesh!

Romans 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Romans 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Hi glorydaz~just my two cents:

I believe Paul is talking about the sin nature/the nature of sin that dwells in us all in Romans 7 when he writes, “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing:..."

I do not believe it is the same thing as “in the flesh” of Romans 8 as that is clearly a positional distinction between the natural man being “in the flesh” which those who are in Christ are no longer as we are “in the Spirit” (Romans 8:9 KJV).

As to Philippians 4:13 KJV, Paul is talking about contentment even though he was afflicted and recognizing where his strength comes from (compare with 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 KJV).

Philippians 4:10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity.
Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
Philippians 4:12 I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:14 Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.

Absolutely he is speaking of us all !

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
2 Corinthians 2:14 KJV - 2 Corinthians 2:15-16 KJV -

2 Corinthians 2:14 NIV - 2 Corinthians 2:14 -

2 Corinthians 2:15-16 NIV - 2 Corinthians 2:15-16 -

my NIV says fragrance and in one verse smell:

2 Corinthians 2:14 my NIV Study Bible: But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him. 15 - For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those whoe are being saved and those who are perishing. 16 - To the one we are the smell of death, to the other, the fragrance of life

that is verbatim from my NIV Life Application Study Bible Zon Der Van and Tyndale House

Jamie Gigliotti

Paul tells us that good news in spite of the flesh!

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

As He further explains starting in the next verse, to set our minds on the Spirit. And in verse 13 to put to death the misdeeds of the body by the Spirit.

The Gospel is about us becoming what God desires by surrender to His gift of Jesus and His Spirit through the Cross and grace. We can do all things through Him. He wasn't lying!