Ask the Mods!

Quetzal

I thought I remember seeing a post like this in the past, but I could have been mistaken. A thread for the members to ask direct questions to the mods/admins! (Not complaints about infractions/bans, etc) Keep it lighthearted and informational. I will kick us off...

For Knight/Admins: What goes into picking a mod? What kind of things do you look for when you appoint them?

For Sherman: I notice that you do a majority of the infractions. Is this by design or do you just find that you fit that role best?

Any Mod: Has there ever been a discrepancy in regards to infractions? In other words, an infraction has been handed out and then another mod/admin steps in and protests. How is that handled? Does it happen often?

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I just happen to be here the most. I am here every morning and I check the woodshed. Many infractions happen when a user comes back and complains in the PM box about infractions. Don't do that unless you want to get tapped again. My PM box is also full of requests to fix things. I don't have time to listen why the person thinks the infraction is unfair.

Quetzal

I just happen to be here the most. I am here every morning and I check the woodshed. Many infractions happen when a user comes back and complains in the PM box about infractions. Don't do that unless you want to get tapped again.
What is the one thing a member can do that will always send them to the penalty box? That is, one is your biggest pet peeves?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is the one thing a member can do that will always send them to the penalty box? That is, one is your biggest pet peeves?

Let's discuss peeves for moment. Pet Peeves have no place in moderating. I have them put they are not related to modding. All my modding is related to enforcement of the rules and need for members to respect those rules.

Coming back and complaining in the PM box about infractions will always result in a ban. It is an exercise in futility and a violation of rule 9.

9. Thou SHALL NOT disrespect TOL moderators and admins (if you are asked by a TOL moderator to alter a post, your signature, avatar, or other input on TOL, please respect that request). If you have been banned, please wait-out your ban. Please do not re-register using a new username unless you have made a special arrangement with the TOL staff.

I am not a soft person. But I don't hold grudges. Users that keep their noses clean after coming back can find themselves rewarded for good behavior.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Any Mod: Has there ever been a discrepancy in regards to infractions? In other words, an infraction has one been handed out and then another mod/admin steps in and protests. How is that handled? Does it happen often?

There hasn't been, in my opinion. Whenever a person complains to me about my giving them an infraction, I tell them, "If you have a problem with the actions I take, go to Knight about them." For a long-time moderator, I'm probably the most lenient moderator. Personally, I've never had another moderator or an admin step in and protest my actions. If I give an infraction to a TOL "old-timer", I usually go to Knight before, or right after, I do it to let him know.

The way I look at it, Knight trusted me enough to give me this duty. I must have given him reason to do so.

Quetzal

There hasn't been, in my opinion. Whenever a person complains to me about my giving them an infraction, I tell them, "If you have a problem with the actions I take, go to Knight about them." For a long-time moderator, I'm probably the most lenient moderator. Personally, I've never had another moderator or an admin step in and protest my actions. If I give an infraction to a TOL "old-timer", I usually go to Knight before, or right after, I do it to let him know.

The way I look at it, Knight trusted me enough to give me this duty. I must have given him reason to do so.
(This is for any Mod) Is there more leniency for paying members? How much does that weigh on the decision, if at all?

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
(This is for any Mod) Is there more leniency for paying members? How much does that weigh on the decision, if at all?
Depends on the nature of the offense. People that have paid into the system to keep it running, I do tend a go a little softer on them for lesser offenses. Stuff such as blasphemy still is an automatic timeout.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not for me. I tend to read the reports with a grain of salt. I look to see if I think a person is being too sensitive about an issue, in most cases. In others, it seems like two people who don't seem to like each other going back and forth reporting each other.

With the exceptions of selling something on TOL without Knight's permission, cursing, and disrespecting TOL staff, I tend to work behind the scenes with the person being reported. I give a personal warning first. If that, doesn't work, I give one in the thread where the offensive post is. If that doesn't work, I give a formal warning (shows up in the wood shed). And, if that doesn't work, I give an infraction. Whether the person is banned or not depends on the number of infractions/points they already have. The things I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph are things that I give infractions for immediately.

Caledvwlch

I have a question for Sherman:

Is there any chance you would ever consider using the following image (or some variation) as your avatar for like, an hour?

283bf7dc801ffda283ef507b7d0b4707.jpeg

bybee

I thought I remember seeing a post like this in the past, but I could have been mistaken. A thread for the members to ask direct questions to the mods/admins! (Not complaints about infractions/bans, etc) Keep it lighthearted and informational. I will kick us off...

For Knight/Admins: What goes into picking a mod? What kind of things do you look for when you appoint them?

For Sherman: I notice that you do a majority of the infractions. Is this by design or do you just find that you fit that role best?

Any Mod: Has there ever been a discrepancy in regards to infractions? In other words, an infraction has been handed out and then another mod/admin steps in and protests. How is that handled? Does it happen often?

Whilst I have been a member on TOL for years I am a very new "Mod". So I don't feel qualified to answer your questions.
I do have a fairly centrist stance.

bybee

WELL said!

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
....then there is the cumulative factor syndrome....like when everyone gets sick and tired of a certain offender who has learned to sail close to the wind without actually breaking any rules....Ketts is ace at sorting them out.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will go ahead and weigh in on this thread too, since I was a mod for many years and may well ask to be reinstated at some point in the future, assuming my life becomes less cluttered when I retire from my day job.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a question for Sherman:

Is there any chance you would ever consider using the following image (or some variation) as your avatar for like, an hour?

283bf7dc801ffda283ef507b7d0b4707.jpeg
No thanks. I am very adverse to changing my avatar on someone's whim.