ECT THE FOLLY OF PROTESTANT SECTARIANISM

genuineoriginal

8502137_orig.jpg

Hawkins

Proof, please.

Already shown. Are you blind. RCC doesn't have an authenticated Canon.

OT is about the witnessing of God from the Jews. Jews is the legitimate group for the OT Canon. They however abandoned Jesus, so Jesus authenticated Peter to form God's Church on earth. The current Catholic Church is keeping an authenticated NT Canon. Only authenticated Protestants are not having both a correct NT and a correct OT Canon. That's the proof.

Cruciform

Already shown. Are you blind. CC doesn't have an authenticated Canon.
An odd claim on your part, since it was the Catholic Church which authoritatively defined the content of the biblical canon in the 4th century. This is a matter of demonstrable historical fact. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Like everything else in the RCC the supposed unity is a SHAM

You've got the pre-consular
the post-consular
the Homo wing
the anti celibates
the charismatics
the conservatives
the liberals
the women's equality crowd
the Erasmians

The list of diverse groupings is endless.

They SAY they are loyal to the Pope but nobody obeys him...in the matter of abortion and birth control.

Cruciform

Purchased any indulgences lately?
The "purchasing" of indulgences was a medieval abuse that was corrected at that time, and doesn't apply in our day. I would think you'd know that as a supposed former Catholic, but I've seen firsthand the wildly inaccurate statements you routinely make on this forum about Catholic teaching and practice---including the one I'm responding to here.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The "purchasing" of indulgences was a medieval abuse that was corrected at that time, and doesn't apply in our day. I would think you'd know that as a supposed former Catholic, but I've seen firsthand the wildly inaccurate statements you routinely make on this forum about Catholic teaching and practice---including the one I'm responding to here.
None the less, it was an official teaching of the Roman church during that period. I guess the formal teaches of the Roman church to change. From time to time.

How about relics? Have you bought any relics? Gone on a pilgrimage?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
The Catholic Church also had a three other ways of raising revenue.
Relics: These were officially sanctioned by the Vatican. They were pieces of straw, hay, white feathers from a dove, pieces of the cross etc. that could be sold to people as the things that had been the nearest to Jesus on Earth. The money raised went straight to the church and to the Vatican. These holy relics were keenly sought after as the people saw their purchase as a way of pleasing God. It also showed that you had honoured Him by spending your money on relics associated with his son.
Indulgences: These were ‘certificates’ produced in bulk that had been pre-signed by the pope which pardoned a person’s sins and gave you access to heaven. Basically if you knew that you had sinned you would wait until a pardoner was in your region selling an indulgence and purchase one as the pope, being God’s representative on Earth, would forgive your sins and you would be pardoned. This industry was later expanded to allow people to buy an indulgence for a dead relative who might be in purgatory or Hell and relieve that relative of his sins. By doing this you would be seen by the Catholic Church of committing a Christian act and this would elevate your status in the eyes of God.
Pilgrimages: These were very much supported by the Catholic Church as a pilgrim would end up at a place of worship that was owned by the Catholic Church and money could be made by the sale of badges, holy water, certificates to prove you had been etc. and completed your journey.

SOURCE

Cruciform

None the less, it was an official teaching of the Roman Church during that period.
Incorrect. It was an abuse of official Catholic teaching at that time. Get your facts straight.

How about relics? Have you bought any relics? Gone on a pilgrimage?
Neither is a doctrinal obligation for Catholics, so your questions simply don't apply.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

genuineoriginal

An odd claim on your part, since it was the Catholic Church which authoritatively defined the content of the biblical canon in the 4th century. This is a matter of demonstrable historical fact.
It is a demonstrable historical fact that the Biblical canon was already in existence before the self-appointed Church of Rome used the act of giving their approval for the existing canon as another of many attempts to usurp leadership over Christians.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Incorrect. It was an abuse of official Catholic teaching at that time. Get your facts straight.

Neither is a doctrinal obligation for Catholics, so your questions simply don't apply.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
The history of the RCC really bothers you, doesn't it. All of these things were sanctioned by the Vatican. The Pope had to sign the indulgences. You can call them an abuse if that makes you feel better but that does not change the fact that relics, indulgences and pilgrimages were all official teachings of the Vatican at the time. Given that the people of that time did not have your resources there was no way for them to say that an official teaching of the Vatican was an abuse of anything. The church spoke and they believed.

Cruciform

The history of the CC really bothers you, doesn't it.
No more than Protestant history "bothered" me when I was a Protestant.

All of these things were sanctioned by the Vatican. The Pope had to sign the indulgences.
Popes are not sinless, nor has the Catholic Church ever suggested otherwise.

You can call them an abuse if that makes you feel better but that does not change the fact that relics, indulgences and pilgrimages were all official teachings of the Vatican at the time.
They were not teachings at all, but rather practical disciplines that happened to be abused by some during the Late Renaissance Period. Your ignorance is showing once again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+